pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

I go back to work next week and it’s just triggering my anxiety.

I have anxiety anyway but the thought of going back to work is causing potential panic attacks.

It’s not that I’m worried about going back, I love my job and everyone I work with, I’m just freaking out because it’s been 4 months since I’ve worked.

I know this is extremely silly but as an anxiety sufferer, my brain goes to the worst possible situations.

Has anyone got any good advice to help me relax? Or any advice on how they deal with nerves and anxiety?

Thanks
Scottishlad888
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can you not go and talk with your doctor
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scottishlad888)
Can you not go and talk with your doctor
Due to corona I can only do online calls which, as it is not an emergency, I am not going to do as they are busy treating people who need them more than I do.
Scottishlad888
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
Due to corona I can only do online calls which, as it is not an emergency, I am not going to do as they are busy treating people who need them more than I do.
l understand take care
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Stop being so silly. You are young - some of us have worked through all this pandemic ( frontline ITU and 60 years of age). I have not had a day off sick in 16 years - you have had months off so get off your rear end and enjoy interacting with the rest of society - we need you back
No need for such a rude reply. I asked for advice on how to not be so nervous, I never undermined the work of others.

Congratulations for all your work and everything you’ve accomplished.

No need to tell me to “get off my rear end” as I’m doing that anyway. Rude and unnecessary.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No need for such a rude reply. I asked for advice on how to not be so nervous, I never undermined the work of others.

Congratulations for all your work and everything you’ve accomplished.

No need to tell me to “get off my rear end” as I’m doing that anyway. Rude and unnecessary.
I am not being rude - you are over reacting - are you young - tick - not at risk. I know what it is like on the frontline
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
I am not being rude - you are over reacting - are you young - tick - not at risk. I know what it is like on the frontline
As I stated, I have anxiety. Things that seem easy to you can be really challenging to me. I am nervous and simply asking for some advice.

I never said that I am on the frontline. I never said anything bad about you or anyone on the frontline.

There was no need to call me lazy and tell me to “get off my rear end”. If you had nothing supportive or nice to say, you shouldn’t have commented.
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
My last words were - we need you back.

You need to stop being so precious - we are all suffering from anxiety - believe me - I am being counselled about going back to ITU - and I sure as hell don't want to go back there - death anxiety, night shifts, long days...
I never said I’m not going back though, did I? I clearly stated I’m GOING BACK to work NEXT WEEK. I simply stated I was nervous and looking for advice.

Congrats on your career and I’m sorry you’re feeling anxious but surely if you are feeling this way, you can understand that I’m feeling something similar just not as extreme.

You didn’t need to call me lazy, however. That was rude and unnecessary.
physicsamor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My last words were - we need you back.

You need to stop being so precious - we are all suffering from anxiety - believe me - I am being counselled about going back to ITU - and I sure as hell don't want to go back there - death anxiety, night shifts, long days...
It's not a competition don't compare people's struggles you can't anyways mental health is individual to each person...
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I never said I’m not going back though, did I? I clearly stated I’m GOING BACK to work NEXT WEEK. I simply stated I was nervous and looking for advice.

Congrats on your career and I’m sorry you’re feeling anxious but surely if you are feeling this way, you can understand that I’m feeling something similar just not as extreme.

You didn’t need to call me lazy, however. That was rude and unnecessary.
Ok - so what do you want me to say - what would make you feel less anxious - because from where I am looking, you have had a few months off whilst some of us have been slogging our guts out - I am knackered to be honest and whilst I understand that you are anxious - you really have nothing to worry about
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by physicsamor)
It's not a competition don't compare people's struggles you can't anyways mental health is individual to each person...
Your sentence does not make sense - but believe me I know about mental health
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Ok - so what do you want me to say - what would make you feel less anxious - because from where I am looking, you have had a few months off whilst some of us have been slogging our guts out - I am knackered to be honest and whilst I understand that you are anxious - you really have nothing to worry about
You clearly don’t understand how negative anxiety can make someone feel? As I told you, I never undermined your job or you as a person. Congratulations for your career and thank you for your service. If you have nothing supportive to say to me, leave me alone. You really don’t seem to understand anxiety and as someone claiming to have it, that shocks me.
Last edited by pepsimaxcherry; 4 weeks ago
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Thank you so much. I was never rude or undermined that person or their job but yet they feel the need to call me lazy etc. Anxiety is a serious mental illness and it shocks me that as someone claiming to have it, they don’t seem to understand it.
physicsamor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
First of all whilst it's harder to work as a nurse during covid 100% it's hardly been a holiday for anyone people have been dying or seriously affected by covid its been tough and the way we live our lives will not be normal for a long time, naturally this is scary and if you add that when you suffer with anxiety already it can feel overwhelming.

A good technique is positive affirmation before you walk into work look into a mirror and say something positive as silly as it sounds walking into somewhere and acting as you are confident will help to make wke you feel confident.

When you wake up to work, listen to some binaural waves /alpha waves Spotify and YouTube have playlists, the tones will help you to not only focus but relax.

Create a schedule so in your head it's gonna be work and then make sure it's balanced by recreational activities /relaxing activities.

Meditation apps are a bit of hit and miss but if you try them to see if you can ground yourself before your shift over time it may help to ease the anxiety.

Stay well.
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
First of all whilst it's harder to work as a nurse during covid 100% it's hardly been a holiday for anyone people have been dying or seriously affected by covid its been tough and the way we live our lives will not be normal for a long time, naturally this is scary and if you add that when you suffer with anxiety already it can feel overwhelming.

A good technique is positive affirmation before you walk into work look into a mirror and say something positive as silly as it sounds walking into somewhere and acting as you are confident will help to make wke you feel confident.

When you wake up to work, listen to some binaural waves /alpha waves Spotify and YouTube have playlists, the tones will help you to not only focus but relax.

Create a schedule so in your head it's gonna be work and then make sure it's balanced by recreational activities /relaxing activities.

Meditation apps are a bit of hit and miss but if you try them to see if you can ground yourself before your shift over time it may help to ease the anxiety.

Stay well.
Thank you, this was really helpful ❤️
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
i know what you're saying. it's because people with anxiety don't like the unknown; we need routine. now that you've been away from work for 4 months, you might wonder what it's going to be like and how you're going to perform especially under social distancing rules, and it gives you anxiety. i felt the same thing when my boss told me the office was re-opening and if i wanted to go back to it (we've been working from home for 3.5 months. this is my 'new normal' ).

or am i not getting what you're saying?
physicsamor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your sentence does not make sense - but believe me I know about mental health
I'm saying you should never compare your mental health to other people's. It's great you can handle the things the way you do but everyone's struggle is individual. One of the worst things you can do is treat mental health like its a competition, you can't compare it. What causes someone to struggle or what triggers them is unique to that person. This person wanted advice to cope not criticism or comparison, noone has it worse off because like I said mental health is not a competition.
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
i know what you're saying. it's because people with anxiety don't like the unknown; we need routine. now that you've been away from work for 4 months, you might wonder what it's going to be like and how you're going to perform especially under social distancing rules, and it gives you anxiety. i felt the same thing when my boss told me the office was re-opening and if i wanted to go back to it (we've been working from home for 3.5 months. this is my 'new normal' ).

or am i not getting what you're saying?
Yes! This is exactly it! I went to see my boss today and he went over all the new rules and all that so I know what’s going to happen, but that also freaks me out! Thank you for understanding
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You clearly don’t understand how negative anxiety can make someone feel? As I told you, I never undermined your job or you as a person. Congratulations for your career and thank you for your service. If you have nothing supportive to say to me, leave me alone. You really don’t seem to understand anxiety and as someone claiming to have it, that shocks me.
Ok - a little bit about me. My father was a drug addicted alcoholic who eventually managed to commit suicide after multiple attempts. ( I found him) I was left alone from the age of 11 - to look after myself whilst my parents left me for weeks on end. I took myself to school, did my own shopping etc. There is worse - I have never talked about it for ... well reasons but it left me with internal scarring.

I know what anxiety is.

You have to just realise that life is what you make it. I have pulled myself up by my boot straps . I have suffered very deep anxiety and depression over the years. I have seen into the abyss.... and pulled back - so yes I do understand but I think you need to get into perspective
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Ok - a little bit about me. My father was a drug addicted alcoholic who eventually managed to commit suicide after multiple attempts. ( I found him) I was left alone from the age of 11 - to look after myself whilst my parents left me for weeks on end. I took myself to school, did my own shopping etc. There is worse - I have never talked about it for ... well reasons but it left me with internal scarring.

I know what anxiety is.

You have to just realise that life is what you make it. I have pulled myself up by my boot straps . I have suffered very deep anxiety and depression over the years. I have seen into the abyss.... and pulled back - so yes I do understand but I think you need to get into perspective
It’s not a competition. You’re undermining my anxiety as it’s not the same as yours. You have been rude to me and criticised me because my anxiety isn’t the same as yours. It was unnecessary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors are most important to you when considering a university in Clearing?

How well the uni/course ranks (7)
17.95%
Location (7)
17.95%
How effective their covid-19 policies are (1)
2.56%
What courses they offer (8)
20.51%
Course content (7)
17.95%
Social life options (4)
10.26%
Accommodation options (3)
7.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
5.13%

Watched Threads