The Student Room Group

TSR Optometry Applicants' Thread 2021 Entry!

Hello and welcome to the Official Applicants' thread for anybody applying to Optometry courses for 2021 entry! :biggrin:

Post below so we can get to know you. :smile:

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:

Post as much or as little information as you wish. :yy:

Best of luck everyone
:party:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As an experienced optometrist and looking at the new apprenticeship course that the multiples are backing for training optometrists, I wouldn't touch an optometry degree at the moment. Wait until the training market settles down and study it in about 5-10 years time perhaps when the situation becomes clearer for the profession. My wages have been the same as an optometrist for the last twenty years and I have at least twice the responsibility. I love the job but I am not the breadwinner in my famil. I'm lucky to be able to enjoy working with a good boss and lovely clients but not worry about the lack of money coming in, otherwise I would be having to re-train in something else.
Original post by Bob ski
As an experienced optometrist and looking at the new apprenticeship course that the multiples are backing for training optometrists, I wouldn't touch an optometry degree at the moment. Wait until the training market settles down and study it in about 5-10 years time perhaps when the situation becomes clearer for the profession. My wages have been the same as an optometrist for the last twenty years and I have at least twice the responsibility. I love the job but I am not the breadwinner in my famil. I'm lucky to be able to enjoy working with a good boss and lovely clients but not worry about the lack of money coming in, otherwise I would be having to re-train in something else.

what would you re-train as if you had to?
Reply 3
I personally would have tried for medicine or clinical psychology. If was younger I would go for 3D computer modelling or cyber security!! It s very personal though - you need to weigh up the reality of wages against your natural abilities and passions.
Reply 4
Hey guys,
I'm applying for optometry at uni next yr and I don't have the best grades so I am looking for work experience to boost my personal statement (of course after all the COVID stuff ) I have tried places like specsavers and vision express and even independent stores but I cannot find any.
Also who else is applying for optometry for 2021 entry and which unis ??
Original post by nr10
Hey guys,
I'm applying for optometry at uni next yr and I don't have the best grades so I am looking for work experience to boost my personal statement (of course after all the COVID stuff ) I have tried places like specsavers and vision express and even independent stores but I cannot find any.
Also who else is applying for optometry for 2021 entry and which unis ??

heyyyy meeeeee
Reply 6
Original post by Sakiudns
heyyyy meeeeee

hey
what unis are u applying to ??
hopefully manchester and bradford
u?
I applied for optometry as a fifth choice with no relevant work experience and I got an offer 🤷
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I applied for optometry as a fifth choice with no relevant work experience and I got an offer 🤷

That’s really good, do you think your personal statement got you the offer?
Original post by ma280211
That’s really good, do you think your personal statement got you the offer?

Well my application was a little different. I was actually applying for dentistry, so optometry was my back up option.

I sent them a separate PS for optometry - I had done some work experience in a hospital where I got to shadow an ophthalmologist for one afternoon, but other than a sentence or two on that, the rest was just about my interests in the subject etc etc.

If you have no work experience, I’d recommend reading around the subject and talking about this in your PS.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Well my application was a little different. I was actually applying for dentistry, so optometry was my back up option.

I sent them a separate PS for optometry - I had done some work experience in a hospital where I got to shadow an ophthalmologist for one afternoon, but other than a sentence or two on that, the rest was just about my interests in the subject etc etc.

If you have no work experience, I’d recommend reading around the subject and talking about this in your PS.

Ahh okay, thank you so much! :smile:
anyone for 2021?
Hi, applying for
Anglia Ruskin - considering
Cardiff - got an offer AAB
City - got an offer ABB
Manchester - got an offer AAB
(No particular order yet)

Updated 11.12.20
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Actimel19
Hi, applying for
Anglia Ruskin,
Cardiff
City - got an offer ABB
Manchester

heyy
when did u send of ur ucas form and what predicted grades?
Hi guys , I am an international student and I’m currently taking the NSW HSC ( New South Wales High School Certificate ) which is an Australian year 12 matriculation. May I know what’s the rough ATAR should I get in order to get into the course of optometry? ♡´・ᴗ・`♡
Original post by Actimel19
Hi, applying for
Anglia Ruskin,
Cardiff
City - got an offer ABB
Manchester

I was thinking of applying to Manchester as well but I recently saw some posts on the fence and flooding accommodation situation and it’s making me rethink.
So I’m applying probably to city, Aston and Hertfordshire
Hi guys I wanted to know if I could still do optometry in university as I am doing btecs I am doing a extended certificate in applied science and national diploma in health and social care. I know the universities in london mostly accept A levels. Someone please help. Whoever is also doing this course please reply back.

Thank you so much
my friend is currently applying for optometry.she has chosen city university to be her firm.she’s nervous about no having anyone she knows with her so if yu man are in the same situation lemme know.
Reply 19
Check each universities entry requirements for your course

Quick Reply

Latest