The Student Room Group

Don't do a BTEC because your grades rely on whether you have really good teachers

I'm doing the 2016 business diploma and IT subsidiary BTEC level 3 in a sixth form right, and this one guy in my class got both merits in his Business exams in unit 2 and IT unit 1, so the teachers just expect him to get distinctions in his coursework and it shows. I looked at his business unit 1 and 27, and the idiot barely did his evaluations, aswell as merged unit 1 and 27 instead of seperating it, so he barely did unit 1 and did **** all with unit 27, yet the teacher still gave him distinctions on BOTH of the units.

Not only that, but because we couldn't do business units 3 and 6, he got those predicted from the teachers, and will most certainly get merits on both, even though barely anyone got passes in unit 3 for the entirety of the course's life. This pisses me off, because I was slaving away on IT unit 3 and business units 1 and 27, yet I just got two merits and a distinction. I hate my course, because the school never told me I could do extended business which has more coursework and an extra unit, and the "head" of business is incompetent and I don't know if I'll get those ****ing merits after all since they sent them off as PREDICTED grades because most of the class didn't even finish the coursework so they'll judge them based on what we got on out exams. Even if I will get those two merits and a distinction though, the grade boundaries are likely to change, so I might not even have enough to get a merit in IT and a distinction-merit in business.

I hate my life, and I hate my ****ing city for not having other schools that were near me, and my ****ing class for not giving a **** despite them knowing that they're gonna get passes from what I heard from my teachers. Even if I wanted to redo a year, they won't give me funding because I'm 18 and I can't pay at their school and the closest decent school that would allow me to pay is 42 ****ing minutes from here in some *****y desolate town. All this because I just wanted to become a ****ing accountant and I won't even be able to do that because this city has only two course for accounting at their *****y uni and I'll have to do the foundation one most likely, which isn't even accredited by ACCA and is not flexible at all. Hell not even a level 3 AAT apprenticeship will want me because they want DMM-DDM and level 2 AATs are nonexistent in my city.
(edited 3 years ago)
Do a BTEC if you're willing to show an interest, try hard once in a while and occasionally deal with bad teachers.
Just finished my level 3 / extended diploma in engineering and I'm off to uni in September (hopefully), no regrets. If you feel one teacher is treating you badly, fair enough. If you feel they all are, you're usually the problem...it's just how it is. Don't $lag off a whole qualification just because you're angry you didn't get a grade you wanted.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by megathon360
Do a BTEC if you're willing to show an interest, try hard once in a while and occasionally deal with bad teachers.
Just finished my level 3 / extended diploma in engineering and I'm off to uni in September (hopefully), no regrets. If you feel one teacher is treating you badly, fair enough. If you feel they all are, you're usually the problem...it's just how it is. Don't $lag off a whole qualification just because you're angry you didn't get a grade you wanted.

I didn't, see the problem is I was working my ass off on unit 1 and 27, and gave it to my teacher, but he marked my evaluations off as merits because I didn't explain 1 out of the 6 aspects of a business environment, the technological aspect, out of the six which I did, and I did at least three analysed pages on each of them. Meanwhile this guy only wrote a paragraph on each one, no applying knowledge or analysis, barely two pages as a whole and got a distinction. This isn't a matter of ****ging off, our teachers literally don't care about us except a couple of guys in our class and I can't report them because it'll just make the situation worse. I can't even talk to our youth pastor about this. Read my text first instead of generalizing it as being lazy, no offence.
(edited 3 years ago)

No he is right, most BTEC teachers are can't be bothered to mark over 15 pages for 30 students, so they just read a sentence and two or quickly read and give you the mark or not. This is considered a well-known fact.
Original post by OptiWeight
No he is right, most BTEC teachers are can't be bothered to mark over 15 pages for 30 students, so they just read a sentence and two or quickly read and give you the mark or not. This is considered a well-known fact.

Now imagine my teacher when he saw that he had to mark 61 pages for a my unit 1 and 30 for the other. His brain probably broke a fuse. :/
Original post by A-Yellow-Spring
I didn't, see the problem is I was working my ass off on unit 1 and 27, and gave it to my teacher, but he marked my evaluations off as merits because I didn't explain 1 out of the 6 aspects of a business environment, the technological aspect, out of the six which I did, and I did at least three analysed pages on each of them. Meanwhile this guy only wrote a paragraph on each one, no applying knowledge or analysis, barely two pages as a whole and got a distinction. This isn't a matter of ****ging off, our teachers literally don't care about us except a couple of guys in our class and I can't report them because it'll just make the situation worse. I can't even talk to our youth pastor about this. Read my text first instead of generalizing it as being lazy, no offence.

Well you did, you literally put in the title not to do a BTEC. Your experience is gonna vary depending on your course, it's level and the college you go to but for the most part, college and BTEC is what you make of it.
It sounds harsh but ranting on tsr isn't gonna change your grade and putting 'dont do BTEC' in the title at a time where people are deciding what they wanna do is not only misleading but is gonna cause confusion.

Original post by OptiWeight

Tbh I agree with this and it was an issue I found during my course as well. I got around it by including an introduction and conclusion while also chasing up teachers who mis marked my work. There are some right questionable people who teach but for the most part it's fine and will depend solely on your college and not the qualification itself.
Well you did, you literally put in the title not to do a BTEC. Your experience is gonna vary depending on your course, it's level and the college you go to but for the most part, college and BTEC is what you make of it.
It sounds harsh but ranting on tsr isn't gonna change your grade and putting 'dont do BTEC' in the title at a time where people are deciding what they wanna do is not only misleading but is gonna cause confusion.

Tbh I agree with this and it was an issue I found during my course as well. I got around it by including an introduction and conclusion while also chasing up teachers who mis marked my work. There are some right questionable people who teach but for the most part it's fine and will depend solely on your college and not the qualification itself.

Dude, I included everything you can think of, the cover, the index, the intro, the content, the evaluation, conclusion and bibliography. Hell I even bugged my teacher to mark it as well but he just got more angry. Also BTEC isn't just what you make of it, it depends on your teachers as well. I keep seeing people getting distinctions and merits in their exam units on here yet most of our class only gets passes, even though we study, because our exam unit teacher only expects passes, yet she brags that her previous class got all merits. Only two or three people have gotten merits, and no one got distinctions.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending