The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

first day at uni of Hull - moving in

What happens during the first day when you go to uni (that will be my first year)?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
What happens during the first day when you go to uni (that will be my first year)?

I'm not a Hull uni student but I can give you a general idea of what to expect as a first-year student irrespective of what uni.

On your move-in day to your uni accommodation, you're likely to see a couple of your fellow flatmates/housemates and there may be some extra people around to help you to move your stuff in. From then on for like the first week or so, the Student Union will have planned and organised different events to get freshers to mingle and start settling in. Obviously, with the current Covid situation, things like your Freshers Week (honestly it's not the most important week of your uni days) is likely to look and feel different but nonetheless, hopefully, you'll get to meet lots of nice people and start to feel settled in.

As for the first day/week when teaching starts, you're likely to have course inductions, etc. to get to know the key people and a talk from someone from the Careers Team and the library about how they can help you whilst you're studying at uni, etc. This does coincide with your very first few lectures and seminars.

Hope this is useful and gives you a rough idea of what to expect during your first day/few weeks at uni. :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
I'm not a Hull uni student but I can give you a general idea of what to expect as a first-year student irrespective of what uni.

On your move-in day to your uni accommodation, you're likely to see a couple of your fellow flatmates/housemates and there may be some extra people around to help you to move your stuff in. From then on for like the first week or so, the Student Union will have planned and organised different events to get freshers to mingle and start settling in. Obviously, with the current Covid situation, things like your Freshers Week (honestly it's not the most important week of your uni days) is likely to look and feel different but nonetheless, hopefully, you'll get to meet lots of nice people and start to feel settled in.

As for the first day/week when teaching starts, you're likely to have course inductions, etc. to get to know the key people and a talk from someone from the Careers Team and the library about how they can help you whilst you're studying at uni, etc. This does coincide with your very first few lectures and seminars.

Hope this is useful and gives you a rough idea of what to expect during your first day/few weeks at uni. :smile:

Thank you!!
Reply 3
I was a University of Hull student but started way back in September 2013 (and graduated in 2017) so what I say may be out of date.

@CoffeeAndPolitics is broadly correct where the first week (usually called "Freshers Week") is where events are held such as first meeting each other, signing up for sports clubs and societies but do not forget that you may be asked to register yourself and to attend course inductions.

Then the week after was when lectures and sessions were held and seen as the first week of teaching.

Of course with COVID 19 events this year will be different so it is best to ask the university and looking at the university's student union (who hold the events) at:

https://hulluniunion.com/

to see that is happening.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest