ninjacaty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I love novels, the english language and short stories. But I don´t like poetry, drama is okay.

Are there any schools that focus on creative writing of novels/fictional prose? Like, a more modern approach to literature?

I read through the programme at Trinity and it seems to be pretty modern.
GCSE_Rockstar32
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ninjacaty)
I love novels, the english language and short stories. But I don´t like poetry, drama is okay.

Are there any schools that focus on creative writing of novels/fictional prose? Like, a more modern approach to literature?

Perhaps use this time to read more poetry and novels that interest you, so that you can make up your mind ? 😊
ghjajkfa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it would be almost impossible to find a course without poetry and drama in it. If you can get through the first year then you can get select modules with reading lists more appealing to you and avoiding strict poetry/drama courses. But in your first year you will have to study it - and I would be shocked if there was an English Literature degree in the country where you could avoid Shakespeare completely.
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

To be honest, I don't think you'd be able to find any English-related degree that doesn't include some sort of poetry or drama element. Not even creative writing degrees, in fact. For instance, even UEA's creative writing course feature topics like "Romanticism" and "Creative writing in poetry" etc. (and there's no pure creative writing for undergrad there, by the way, you have to combine it with either drama or eng / American lit). Obviously I've not looked at every single English degree under the sun so go ahead and do your own research, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an English degree that would allow you to avoid poetry altogether.

Why don't you like poetry though? Do you find it too cryptic to understand, or is it the analysis that throws you off?
Wesley Rolston
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 hours ago

ninjacaty It is good you are aware of what you do and not like with a subject. Previous comments are right you may be able to tailor your course as you go through it to choose modules you believe in.

I did the Drama course at Newman University and I also write and perform poetry, but to tell you the truth I do not really read much poetry or a vast amount of plays. I do find what interest me and spiral down into learning more about that, then branch out. Just to ease you that you can do a subject at uni level and not be an expert in everything.

I will say that Newman University, in Birmingham does have an English and Creative Writing BA which has a range of topics available and in 2nd year you have to do a work placement module for 100 hours, over the year, in somewhere you choose and you choose the hours per week you do. Here is the link to the website page for the course. (There is poetry involved but it feels a lot of variety is offered and there is a short video of a student who did the course.)

Hope that helps. If you have any questions or comments feel free to say.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (237)
61.4%
No they should not (109)
28.24%
Abstain (40)
10.36%

Watched Threads