Nnahahahah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Feel a bit weird and singled out. What does it mean to be called a boss? Do I look old? Is there something wrong with me? I’m a student btw.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nnahahahah)
Feel a bit weird and singled out. What does it mean to be called a boss? Do I look old? Is there something wrong with me? I’m a student btw.
Sorry if I am wrong, I assume that junior doctor is Asian. I get called boss by other doctors in my grade a lot...

https://www.quora.com/Indian-English-How-is-boss-used

It could be tricky for a non-Indian to understand the term “Boss”, as it can be used in slightly different contexts. It could be used while talking in English or Hinglish.

Among friends, it could be used as a synonym for “Buddy” or “Mate”, especially when you are debating something with a friend and you want to make a counterpoint. You could hear the counterpoint like this “No no Boss, let me explain how it works”.It could be used by someone in a corporate setting while talking to his subordinate or junior, just as a friendly gesture.

It would go something like “Boss, why don’t you and him get together and sort it out”. On the same lines, if you are stuck in some work, let’s say in a Government department, and need the clerk to help you expedite it, you could be polite and friendly by saying “Boss, can you please help me get this done”.More commonly, it’s used by a subordinate while talking to or describing his actual Boss. It would go something like “Boss, can you approve my travel request”.

Sometimes in Government departments, this could be a bit more servile. For instance, a subordinate explaining to his colleagues “Boss has mandated it. This absolutely has to be done” or “Yes Boss, consider this work done”.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
Nnahahahah
Rep:
?
He’s white lol
Nnahahahah
Rep:
?
So he’s being low key racist?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So he’s being low key racist?
He’s white lol
Lol, don't know then :dontknow:
Nnahahahah
Rep:
?
If I’m asian and he’s calling me ‘boss’ that’s a bit racist because he assumes I’m Indian when I’m south Asian. It annoys me so much for some reason.
2500_2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
On the bright side he's not ignoring you as you feel others have? Maybe take some positives away from this connection instead of negatives?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Sorry if I am wrong, I assume that junior doctor is Asian. I get called boss by other doctors in my grade a lot...

https://www.quora.com/Indian-English-How-is-boss-used

It could be tricky for a non-Indian to understand the term “Boss”, as it can be used in slightly different contexts. It could be used while talking in English or Hinglish.

Among friends, it could be used as a synonym for “Buddy” or “Mate”, especially when you are debating something with a friend and you want to make a counterpoint. You could hear the counterpoint like this “No no Boss, let me explain how it works”. It could be used by someone in a corporate setting while talking to his subordinate or junior, just as a friendly gesture.

It would go something like “Boss, why don’t you and him get together and sort it out”. On the same lines, if you are stuck in some work, let’s say in a Government department, and need the clerk to help you expedite it, you could be polite and friendly by saying “Boss, can you please help me get this done”. More commonly, it’s used by a subordinate while talking to or describing his actual Boss. It would go something like “Boss, can you approve my travel request”.

Sometimes in Government departments, this could be a bit more servile. For instance, a subordinate explaining to his colleagues “Boss has mandated it. This absolutely has to be done” or “Yes Boss, consider this work done”.
That's really interesting: I had no idea 'boss' was used like that in 'Indian English'. Thanks
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If I’m asian and he’s calling me ‘boss’ that’s a bit racist because he assumes I’m Indian when I’m south Asian. It annoys me so much for some reason.
Not necessarily, some people call everyone "boss" - definitely not race-based, it's just like calling them "mate". Remember it's the context...
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I think if you are going to find your feet in medicine more (having read other posts), it's best to try and not see things as being personal. Even if he called you ******** (which I hope he wouldn't!), it's likely a term of endearment. Try to focus on what you're learning and what you hope to get out of each session and building on your skills than taking all of these things personally! X B
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I sometimes use the term boss at work, with my junior colleagues (I’m Caucasian female). After evening handover on a night shift, I might say “right then boss, what’s the plan?” - my meaning behind it being, although I’m the registrar and you’re probably used to me telling you what the plan of action is, actually I’m recognising that you can take the lead a bit here with dividing up the tasks, etc. I see it as a term of deference/respect, almost, and it’s said with a smile, and as a way of allowing my junior colleague to step up a little bit and take a lead / feel able to contribute, at a moment where they might not ordinarily have thought they could/should. I would say it to anyone whatever race they were, and would certainly not intend any racial connotation by it.
Last edited by junior.doctor; 4 weeks ago
Smile88egc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Female caucasian british registrar here, also used to a caucasian british GP trainee calling me and lots of other colleagues (junior and senior) boss.
MedicZd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wouldn't think anything of it. Whenever I've used it, it's been a sign of respect but in a colloquial/friendly way.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've also definitely seen it used by non-Indians frequently.

If you're reading into it you are likely creating drama where there is none.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
You keep making very bizarre threads and I'm honestly starting to think you're just trolling.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Yep you certainly seem to have found him out. Any chance you could have a word with him , consult your lawyer, contact HR or talk to the equalities commission about this abuse? Has it traumatised you?.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm white and call people boss, but only if I think they are 3/7ths Uzbek
girl_in_black
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
I'm white and call people boss, but only if I think they are 3/7ths Uzbek
Damn, is that why my consultant calls me boss?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
it's normal to assume everyone is more senior than you if you are at the bottom of the pole, so therefore you call them 'boss'. why are you bothered?
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It just means mate. Stop whining about everything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (60)
24.29%
Better than expected (51)
20.65%
Worse than expected (136)
55.06%

Watched Threads