Isabella92928
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi. I am an American will be coming to Scotland for high school In Edinburgh I was just wondering what is the high school is like in Scotland the reason why I’m coming here because of my dad job I am kinda anxious moving here I won’t make any friends please tell me an American experience Scottish high school? Do they hate American I heard a girl from Texas went to scottish school she had a horrible experience I’m just worried :/
cxbrxl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They will take the absolute piss out of you for ages, but don’t cry and take it on the chin, embrace the humour it’ll be more fun that way
Isabella92928
Rep:
?
(Original post by cxbrxl)
They will take the absolute piss out of you for ages, but don’t cry and take it on the chin, embrace the humour it’ll be more fun that way
I will do that thank you! Oh.. they will piss out for me sikee.... This is why I don’t want to come here my dad forcing me.. but I try to embrace the humours I guess :/
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Isabella92928)
I will do that thank you! Oh.. they will piss out for me sikee.... This is why I don’t want to come here my dad forcing me.. but I try to embrace the humours I guess :/
Hey, I'm from Edinburgh. I've finished high school and university now but if you need advice regarding the city or your school etc, I'd be more than happy to help you. Feel free to PM me or we can chat on this thread.

One thing is that I imagine your experience will vary largely depending on what school you'll go to. Have you and your parents done much research on your school? Do you know where you'll be going? :fluffy:
Isabella92928
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Hey, I'm from Edinburgh. I've finished high school and university now but if you need advice regarding the city or your school etc, I'd be more than happy to help you. Feel free to PM me or we can chat on this thread.

One thing is that I imagine your experience will vary largely depending on what school you'll go to. Have you and your parents done much research on your school? Do you know where you'll be going? :fluffy:
Hey! Thank you for your help so my parents want me to go to public school or private I don’t know which one are good school first choice they want to try Royal High school I don’t know if that any good and the second school they want me to try to go to Boroughmuir High School and the private one they want me to try Fettes so I don’t even know what any good high school it’s would be good if you suggest me any good high school in Edinburgh
chubchubbs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi. I am an American will be coming to Scotland for high school In Edinburgh I was just wondering what is the high school is like in Scotland the reason why I’m coming here because of my dad job I am kinda anxious moving here I won’t make any friends please tell me an American experience Scottish high school? Do they hate American I heard a girl from Texas went to scottish school she had a horrible experience I’m just worried :/
I was in your same shoes about two years ago (technically not American myself but lived there for a few years and moved to Glasgow). Tbh it was a bit lonely at first but you just gotta take the leap and start trying to hang out with people during lunch/class, etc. I always got TON of comments from students and teachers about my accent and where I was from and I still do. Again each situation is completely different so of course the same thing won’t exactly happent to you! Do you know what year your going into to?

Hopefully this helps you to stay calm! DM if you have any more questions.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey! Thank you for your help so my parents want me to go to public school or private I don’t know which one are good school first choice they want to try Royal High school I don’t know if that any good and the second school they want me to try to go to Boroughmuir High School and the private one they want me to try Fettes so I don’t even know what any good high school it’s would be good if you suggest me any good high school in Edinburgh
Hello! For some reason, I didn't see the notification for your reply and only noticed that you had replied when I was scrolling through the Scot Quals sub-forum. :gasp:

In any case, do you know what area you'd be living in? The state schools that you've mentioned are all very good but only people that live in their catchment areas usually end up getting a place (because of how oversubscribed they can be). If they haven't done so already, your parents should call the schools up and enquire to make sure.

Regarding each school, Royal High is excellent but it's in an interesting predicament where the catchment area sees an incredible divide in those from very well off backgrounds and those that aren't. Academically, it does great and its atmosphere is supposed to be really inclusive, so hopefully that should be OK! Regarding Boroughmuir, it's supposed to be the best or the second best performing state school in Edinburgh, so I'm sure you'd have a wonderful time there. You could also consider James Gillespie's High School which, alongside Boroughmuir, is supposed to be the best or the second best (depending on who you ask ) state school.

As for private schools, they're all really good and of a high standard. I've heard Fettes is great but, admittedly, I don't have any friends who went there. I have a lot of friends who went to the sister schools of Stewart's Melville High School (all boys until the final 2 years) and Mary Erskine High School (all girls until the final 2 years) and St George's High School (all girls). They all had an amazing time in all of those schools. I realise it sounds like single-sex schools are common in the UK, but I swear they're actually somewhat rare and I just happen to have loads of friends from those 3 schools in Edinburgh. :lol: Other exceptional private schools include Edinburgh Academy and George Heriot's High School.

Again, if you and/or your parents have any questions about Edinburgh, schools/studies or the neighbourhoods/areas, feel free to ask me. :rambo: I privately tutor students from various schools and I also have plenty of friends who have been to the schools listed above or who know people that currently attend these schools. A few of my close friends are also teachers, so I'm sure I could get the down-lo of anything that you or family might be uncertain of. :fluffy:
Last edited by Quick-use; 3 weeks ago
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
jeez Fettes you must have buckets of money lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (87)
38.33%
Take autumn exams (74)
32.6%
Look for a job (6)
2.64%
Consider an apprenticeship (8)
3.52%
Take a year out (38)
16.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
6.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise