Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you think? Do you know somebody who speaks three or more languages natively?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by natively. I always understood that as the language you grew up speaking?

I know a woman who can fluently speak English, Spanish, German and Japanese. Pretty amazing really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadLine)
    What do you think? Do you know somebody who speaks three or more languages natively?
    i know someone who speaks 3 languages natively. Father British, mother from Equador (so speaks Spanish) and grew up in Germany from very young age, so also fluent in German.
    I've heared of others who speak way from languages fluently, especially some African people.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I know somebody who speaks six languages fluently. It's probably more common than you think.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, me (arabic english french swahili) all fluent, my friend can speak 5 fluently. i dont think its that rare...

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know some people like that, but where i'm from its more common

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think you had to speak the language as a native to be able to count it as one of your languages. If you speak it fluently then it still counts doesn't it? Some politicians and the pope can speak up to 10 languages.

ReputationRep:
    Its not that rare actually. You will find on this forum many people who are tri-lingual. I can speak English, Hindi and Thai quite fluently. I did French at A-level, but that doesn't mean anything, lol, I doubt I could converse with someone in French if I randomly met them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadLine)
    Natively i doubt. There's always one language people are best at, perhaps the one they use most or grew up with or talk in the house.

Talking 3+ languages fluently is possible. There are people who work for the UN who speak various languages as they translate.

Most people won't be fluent, but will be able to speak/understand many languages very very well. I have a language teacher that speaks english, french, spanish, and german - well enough, of course, to teach them all

ReputationRep:
    My friend knew Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish, English and German fluently. Someone my Mum used to work with was a genius who could speak 14 languages fluently. My Dad can speak 4 pretty near fluently - but did those linguist genes pass onto me....no!

ReputationRep:
    There was a girl at my old school who spoke 4 native languages. Her fathers family came from Russia, so she spoke Russian to that side of her family. However they had moved to Sweden which was where she lived before she moved to the UK, so she also spoke Swedish. Her mum came from Switzerland and spoke Swiss German and French, and had spoke to her in both of these languages. I also know someone whoes dad is French and her mum is Czech and they live in England, so she speaks all 3 languages.
    I also heard it's quite common for the more educated people to be trilingual in some parts of India, speaking a local language, Hindi and English.
    I feel so stupid getting muddled with trying to speak German. I really wish my dad had taught me Irish as he spoke to his parents in Irish, but always spoke English to us. If I have children I definatly want them to be bilingual.

ReputationRep:
    I know of boys who have been in refugee camps who can speak THIRTEEN+ languages fluently... It's really not uncommon...

ReputationRep:
    My mum knows Hindi, Gujarti, Punjabi, Marati and English. (I only know English and Gujarti fluently)
    I know two other people that are very good linguists. One knows Italian, Spanish, French, German, English, Dutch and Portugese and the other knows English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Mandarin.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who's child is trilingual. The kid grew up speaking German, English and Afrikaans (South African language).

ReputationRep:
    In India being trilingual (at least in the cities) is more the norm than the exception.
    I was brought up outside the country, so I can only speak English fluently.

But most people in urban India speak their local state language, Hindi (national language) and English passably.

(Original post by Leanne Antonia)
    My friend knew Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish, English and German fluently. Someone my Mum used to work with was a genius who could speak 14 languages fluently. My Dad can speak 4 pretty near fluently - but did those linguist genes pass onto me....no!
    14! That is something. I used to know someone like that.
    So OP, it is more than possible and they do exist

ReputationRep:
    Very nice, I'm jealous of them. But I really meant native languages, for example, my friend is fluent in my native language, can (nearly) perfectly communicate, but you feel he's not from here, makes little mistakes. I meant languages which you switch to and speak without hesitation...

ReputationRep:
    I userd to tutor kids at Explore that were fluent in English, Punjabi and Urdu.

ReputationRep:
    I know a bloke who can speak 7 fluently and then some more less well. Long story as to why.

ReputationRep:
    I once met someone who was from a German speaking area of Italy so was persumably native in Italian and German. His English was more than fluent, so although it wasn't native, it might as well have been. He also spoke French apparently, though I didn't test him on that. I can't remember where he said he came from in Italy, but in some areas there are native French speakers (e.g. in Valle d'Aosta there are both French speaking and German speaking communities).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.