Would you recommend St. Andrews for Life/Biological Sciences?

Watch this thread
beanmclin
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hii ,
I know St. Andrews is a very good university and has a really good reputation in the UK. However, I'm not sure if it's that good for Life/Biological Sciences as well. I'd love to attend this uni because of the number of traditions, the architecture of the town, etc. but I'm afraid that the range of modules is not as wide (I'm currently interested in biochemistry, immunology, genetics, biomedicine) as other unis.

I'm also holding offers from University of Dundee, University of Edinburgh and University of Glasgow. I can't make up my mind and I'd really appreaciate any kind of advice. Would you recommend St. Andrews for Life/Biological Sciences? Are the other universities better in Biological Sciences?

Many thanks in advance
faizanarshad360
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Don't go to a uni just because it has a better reputation. Go to where you think you'll feel comfortable and that you'll enjoy. Look at the course modules for each and see what unis have the topics that you are most interested in. If your gut is telling you to go for St Andrews, go for it.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beanmclin)
Hii ,
I know St. Andrews is a very good university and has a really good reputation in the UK. However, I'm not sure if it's that good for Life/Biological Sciences as well. I'd love to attend this uni because of the number of traditions, the architecture of the town, etc. but I'm afraid that the range of modules is not as wide (I'm currently interested in biochemistry, immunology, genetics, biomedicine) as other unis.

I'm also holding offers from University of Dundee, University of Edinburgh and University of Glasgow. I can't make up my mind and I'd really appreaciate any kind of advice. Would you recommend St. Andrews for Life/Biological Sciences? Are the other universities better in Biological Sciences?

Many thanks in advance
I graduated in Biochemistry from St Andrews! I really recommend it for the experience! the School of Biology is focused on things like marine biology etc. in terms of the number of researchers but there are still plenty of scientists at the uni involved in the 'red' side of biology! maybe 40% at a guess?

you start off really broad in first year so you have to learn a little bit of every part of biology so your first year will be much broader than at other unis, but then as you go up through the years the modules become more specific and niche than other unis - 4th year modules are particularly interesting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads