Is dating as an Asian guy hard?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Your thoughts? As a South Asian male, I feel like it's not impossible but definitely harder than most to do well
SuperiorPotato
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why do you say that?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
It completely depends on the person, not the race. If you go into it with a inferiority complex then you're going to get worse results.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you gone out with a man of every race? No? Then how would you or anyone else here know that S.A. men are 'harder than most' to have relationships with?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ROTL94)
Have you gone out with a man of every race? No? Then how would you or anyone else here know that S.A. men are 'harder than most' to have relationships with?
No because I'm a male
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SuperiorPotato)
Why do you say that?
I guess looking at things it seems like you have a smaller dating pool because of preferences, certain stigmas, etc
Yolz121
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why would you say "hard"? Are you thinking about the differences in culture and beliefs?
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If it's hard, it's because you're not giving off enough western vibe. Simple as that. If you're from an area where you grew up w a lot of other minorities this is common.

Even if the above isnt applicable it can be hard because most people come from areas which are majority non minority.

When I lived in Liverpool, one if my closest mates had never before seen an Asian (maybe an exaggeration but it can be almost so)
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not really. I dated a Vietnamese guy but I'm half Malaysian myself so.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Yolz121)
Why would you say "hard"? Are you thinking about the differences in culture and beliefs?
I guess your appearance does factor in a lot more and preconceived notions of culture so you're along the right lines
username5323908
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Your thoughts? As a South Asian male, I feel like it's not impossible but definitely harder than most to do well
I've been out with Asian girls and it's definitely harder than being with white girls.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
why is it harder than most to do well?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
If it's hard, it's because you're not giving off enough western vibe. Simple as that. If you're from an area where you grew up w a lot of other minorities this is common.

Even if the above isnt applicable it can be hard because most people come from areas which are majority non minority.

When I lived in Liverpool, one if my closest mates had never before seen an Asian (maybe an exaggeration but it can be almost so)
I grew up in an area with a lot of minorities nearby, but myself am pretty western. Privately educated, RP accent (you'd think I was white on the phone) and not really that culturally connected (not out of choice but just happened to turn out like that and didn't see much family growing up).

Yes I agree it's probably harder to fit in where most people stick amongst their own. Even finding friends this sometimes becomes the case too like at uni a lot of British people just stuck with similar others rather than getting to know a wider range of individuals, etc.

Personally I don't seem to connect with other Asians too well or if I do, they seem not to fully include me..
Anonymous #1
(Original post by georgeparasol12)
I've been out with Asian girls and it's definitely harder than being with white girls.
What do you mean?
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
asif007 you know what to do aha
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Stop generalizing. Every person is different when dating, and that is not dependent on their race.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Stop generalizing. Every person is different when dating, and that is not dependent on their race.
I'm not generalising, I said I thought it might be the case but was asking about others' thoughts
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not generalising, I said I thought it might be the case but was asking about others' thoughts
I misread the OP, my bad.
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I grew up in an area with a lot of minorities nearby, but myself am pretty western. Privately educated, RP accent (you'd think I was white on the phone) and not really that culturally connected (not out of choice but just happened to turn out like that and didn't see much family growing up).

Yes I agree it's probably harder to fit in where most people stick amongst their own. Even finding friends this sometimes becomes the case too like at uni a lot of British people just stuck with similar others rather than getting to know a wider range of individuals, etc.

Personally I don't seem to connect with other Asians too well or if I do, they seem not to fully include me..
I grew up in a white area with white friends. Even the first time I went to university and the second time I went I had mostly white friends initially. Truth is. There's always a disconnect bc there are cultural nuances you just don't share , however whitewashed (for lack of a better term) you are.

I used to have an issue with mixing with Asians too. Still kind of do. But if you just go along with the fact that you are western , Asians don't really care. They welcome it

As for dating white people. I've only ever dated one white person and as much as I thought I connected, only afterwards with time did I realise that it's not the same thing as when you connect with someone with the same ideas or themes of background.

You don't have to be the same to be compatible but you see things better from other perspectives. It's kind of like how many of most of not all white people will not truly understand racism

That's my thoughts at least
username5234220
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think systemic racism makes it harder for certain minorities such as asian men and black women to find dates
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (198)
38.9%
Take autumn exams (155)
30.45%
Look for a job (17)
3.34%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.13%
Take a year out (88)
17.29%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise