Turn on thread page Beta

Trinity College Dublin or Sheffield watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have accepted an unconditional offer to do Economics + Politics at Sheffield but last week I was offered a place to do Economics/Sociology at TCD. Basically which has the better rep if any for IB. Is it worth while spending 4 years in Dublin rather than 3 in sheffield.

any help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose Dublin.

ReputationRep:
    where do you want to live after your degree ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frieza)
    where do you want to live after your degree ??

no idea, I live in suffolk at the moment but the chances are I won't stay after I graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sostressed)
    no idea, I live in suffolk at the moment but the chances are I won't stay after I graduate.
    I'd go for Dublin. A more exciting experience to leave the country and meet Irish people, and Dublin is probably a finer city. Could open you up to the possibility of living there if you like it.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Dublin and I like it.
    Trinity is located in the best part of the town and the buildings look great. In addition maybe you wound't pay the tuition fee.

On the other hand, Dublin is expensive, it's 4 years, and there are loads of graduates here.

I have not a clue about how an Irish degree can be seen in the UK (and in the rest of the world), they have a slight different system. I'd like to know more about it...

ReputationRep:
    Come to Sheffield, Sheffield is great. We have more trees per person than any other city in Europe, and that should be at the forefront of your mind when choosing university!

ReputationRep:
    Yeeess, come to Sheffield, argh argh !!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    sheffield obviously

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose Trinity College Dublin over just about any university, certainly Sheffield. Not only is it highly reputable, particularly for my course, but Dublin itself is a truly fantastic city.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Dublin too, got lots of friends studying in TCD.
    Dublin has a better rep for IB than Sheffield.
    Dublin is expensive, and not a great student city compared to Manchester/Glasgow etc, but they seem to get by!!!
    Dublin is nicer than Sheffield in many ways. Apart from maybe the music scene.
    TCD campus is lovely, Sheffield is ok-ish.
    Trinity also has trees. Not as many, but enough for those of arbophilic tendancies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark-knight)
    sheffield obviously
    Obviously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    Obviously?
    Obv.

:no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    I'd choose Trinity College Dublin over just about any university, certainly Sheffield. Not only is it highly reputable, particularly for my course, but Dublin itself is a truly fantastic city.
    Why didn't you choose it then if its sooo good for your course?

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow. Nuff said.
    He said he'd choose it over almost any other.

ReputationRep:
    I say go for Trinity. I just graduated with a bachelor's from there, absolutely loved it.

Its location is perfect, the buildings are beautiful, great libraries. It's the highest ranked university in Ireland and I'd say UK employers view it highly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomQMU)
    Glasgow. Nuff said.
    He said he'd choose it over almost any other.
    Kanjar

ReputationRep:
    Well, I didn't apply because the requirements for Scottish candidates are particularly unfair. I do have the grades but it treats Highers like GCSEs/Standard Grades in the way it requires all applicants for any course to have English, maths and a language at SQA Higher level. There is no English course in the UK with these requirements, for example.

Not a problem if you're doing A Level though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Kanjar
    LOL @ Kanjar!

However I do believe Dublin is a very nice city indeed and in a rather lovely country!

I wonder if Guiness, Magners and Bulmers are cheaper there. lol.

However you should go to wherever is best for your course, at the end of day it only matters if you get a decent job out of it! Also are tuition fees there £1100?

Night life in sheffield isnt too great either. However the peak district is lovely.

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose Trinity :love:

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.