Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SupaMirch)
    LOL @ Kanjar!

However I do believe Dublin is a very nice city indeed and in a rather lovely country!

I wonder if Guiness, Magners and Bulmers are cheaper there. lol.

However you should go to wherever is best for your course, at the end of day it only matters if you get a decent job out of it! Also are tuition fees there £1100?

Night life in sheffield isnt too great either. However the peak district is lovely.
    Awful post.
    Guinness is spelt wrong.
    You don't get Magners in Dublin. It is Bulmers. It is also yuck.
    At the end of the day, a job is the least important thing to get out of your university experience. There are many more important things to consider.

(It wasn't that awful, you just said some unforgivable things :p: )

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Trinity !

ReputationRep:
    Trinity. It is better regarded by UK employers than Sheffield, as it is without doubt the best uni in Ireland. Irish people who "could" get into Oxbridge go there by choice, whereas few people choose Sheffield as the uni of their dreams...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomQMU)
    Awful post.
    Guinness is spelt wrong.
    You don't get Magners in Dublin. It is Bulmers. It is also yuck.
    At the end of the day, a job is the least important thing to get out of your university experience. There are many more important things to consider.

(It wasn't that awful, you just said some unforgivable things :p: )
    Whatever kanjar

To some extent, i'd agree theres no point going to uni if you arent going to enjoy it. But theres not a significant different between sheffield and dublin in that sense.

Maybe getting a job at the end of university is more important to others I guess.

What else do you expect to get out of uni? The cliche answer? friends, great memories, the experience of living indepently and all that jazz?

And I meant Guinness, it was a typo And how come you dont get Magners in Dublin? I love Magners, its way better than Bulmers, thats just too sweet.

I'm sure Dublin is much better than ''Glas-geee'' :P

ReputationRep:
    Some of the more important differences
    1) Trinity is smack in the middle of a congested capital, with all the benefits and disadvantage that brings. It is unusual in having a strong campus life, and yet in the heart of the city. Not like e.g. Imperial having a few sprawling buildings with public roads ruining thru them
    2) TCD is a 4-year course; others in Ireland are 3 years, like England. TCD is afforded that luxury in order to gives its students a deeper and broader education. The “broad curriculum” make it resemble more a Canadian or US university than others in the British Isles. There is more possibility to chop and change courses than elsewhere… might be useful if not too sure what you want to do (careful: if you change degree title, fees can jump).
    3) TCD is, it seems, less afraid to fail students if they don’t meet a III. A II.1 still seems to mean a II.1, not that you have to be a genus to get it. It is financed differently than in England, and retention and fees are not so linked.
    4) Accommodation is not guaranteed to first years, but very likely if living far from TCD. Be careful to follow instructions carefully and early. First years (“Junior Freshmen) live in a leafy suburb a 40m walk away, 15m tram ride. Hall rents from EUR 4400 pa 40 weeks all extras included. In College accommodation from EUR 4000 to much higher. Outside rents likely lower, depending on luxury or lack of it.
    5) Undergrad fee EUR 1000 for EU, EUR 6000 if you change undergrad degree. Government threatening hikes.
    6) Student composition is quite mixed. Less Dublin than other Dublin unis. More international than other Irish unis. Significant contingents of Nth Irish, English, Euro continentals, along with Nth Americans, Asians, Africans, either paying fees up to EUR 30k or on scholarships/exchanges.
    7) Students in third year are often sent on Erasmus, exchanges, etc, and the quality of the exchange universities is very high.
    8) Quite a number of modest scholarships or awards, given sometimes on peculiar grounds – and one big one – the Scholarship exams taken by many students in 2nd year, and giving free accommodation etc. (for 5 years!)

Social science students benefit from being in a capital city, even a small one, given the proximity to government with a say in Europe. Many interesting national and international speakers given location and prestige.

I've visited Sheffield for Open Day... great that you can get on a direct train line to Manchester airport some one hour away. Huge range of accommodation, but some of it is very pricey on equivalent quality basis.

ReputationRep:
    And I meant Guinness, it was a typo And how come you dont get Magners in Dublin? I love Magners, its way better than Bulmers, thats just too sweet.

I'm sure Dublin is much better than ''Glas-geee'' :P
    I know it was a typo, I was just winding you up.
    Magners and Bulmers are the same thing. (As in Bulmers in Ireland is the same as Magners). And it is all so far removed from anything remotely considered to be cider... but that is for another thread.

Glasgow is actually a much better student-friendly city than Dublin. In many many ways. I can't wait to get back!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YogiBoy)
    The “broad curriculum” make it resemble more a Canadian or US university than others in the British Isles.
    Scotland has 4-year courses too.

But good post.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    And how come you dont get Magners in Dublin? I love Magners, its way better than Bulmers, thats just too sweet.
    Dublin Bulmers > Magners... drinking Magners when I'm expecting it to taste like the Bulmers I get in Dublin just leaves me horribly disappointed.

Kopparberg is better than either of them anyway :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield. I think Dublin is a dump!!

I don't know who said it, but if you want a lovely country then come north! Northern Ireland will show you a good time!

ps. Not trying to get any digs on the Irish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocalypte)
    Dublin Bulmers > Magners... drinking Magners when I'm expecting it to taste like the Bulmers I get in Dublin just leaves me horribly disappointed.

Kopparberg is better than either of them anyway :woo:
    Amen to that! But I've noticed that the Bulmers in Dublin tastes exactly the same as Magners does in England, yet it shares the same branding too.

OP - I'd go for TDC instead of Sheffield. The reputation, length of a degree and the chance to study abroad outweigh any reason for you for wanting to study in Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomster)
    Amen to that! But I've noticed that the Bulmers in Dublin tastes exactly the same as Magners does in England, yet it shares the same branding too.
    Repeat: It is the same thing. Exactly. The only reason it is called Magners in the UK is because there is already a bulmers in the UK. But honestly, just drink real cider, just once, and you'll realise the error in your ways.
    Dublin isn't a dump, it's quite nice really. Much nicer than Sheffield, what I've seen of it and what my friend from Sheffield says. Also the uni is less reputable in Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    3 years in a cheap city over 4 years in a expensive one. and also its a bit more of a chore if you need to get home, but it has got a higher rep for IB, but you'r degree is what you make of it, you could just as easily come out with a 3rd from dublin as a 1st from sheffield

ReputationRep:
    For student chat, look up the forum boards.ie. It has short forum histories , unlike TSR. But if you do a search in Google and put site:.board.ie along with your key words, it will come up with lots.

ReputationRep:
    I would strongly suggest you to join Trinity as it has a very good reputation for Economics, Political Science, Law or these types of subject. Moreover, as a city probably Dublin is better than Sheffield (just assumption, I have never been to Sheffield). But, you should also consider 4 years vs 3 years expense. Wishing you all the best.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I've just started looking at TCD for application.
    To me TCD seems the very obvious choice out of these two. TCD doesn't do as well as it should on league tables, apparently because it is 7 million in debt and so can't fund research. Perhaps this would have a negative impact if you were doing a science degree, but for any arts, humanities, social sciences, TCD will be awesome.

On the international rankings I saw, it was vying with Warwick (4th or 5th best British Uni on most tables, and probs the best UK option after Oxbridge and London (don't crucify me for saying that anyone)). But it should be doing better. Apparently, it's just the debt...

But for international repute, I would have thought TCD beats Warwick easily any day, and definitely beats Sheffield. It's viewed as a world-leading institution. I don't wanna annoy anyone by saying this, but though Sheffield is a very good UK uni, I'm not so sure the same could be said for it...I'da thought obv Oxbridge beats it, and probs LSE and UCL beat it for international repute, but nothing else in UK...

And as someone else said, many will choose TCD over Oxbridge. Many would also choose London over Oxbridge. The same could probably not be said for Sheffield.

I've applied to Cambridge, but over the last few days researching TCD, I've almost started to think I'd rather go there...

It'd be interesting to go and meet a new people, and see a new country. Fees, as far as I can make out, are free to UK students, so that'll offset the expense in living in such a major city. And then you'll be able to enjoy the city...fun!

When people look at your CV in the UK, they'l think "Ireland...interesting choice" and then ask you about it, rather than see you've been to Sheffield, which is probably viewed as a bit more average.
    Then the TCD campus is gorgeous.

In short, go for the interesting, respected choice. TCD.

Peace n love.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.