Ruby1707x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is year 11 as hard and stressful as it is made out to be ? As I’m year 11 September and abit nervous
Shuzfgh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruby1707x)
Is year 11 as hard and stressful as it is made out to be ? As I’m year 11 September and abit nervous
So, basically Year 11 is a cake walk compared to A-levels (they suck hArd). I legit read my separate science textbooks before each exams and came out with 7s. Just revise and be chill before exams and, trust me, they won't be that hard - like at all. Teachers exaggerate the hell out of them. Of course you NEED to revise - no one's gnawing pass just like that. Good luck man.
astayuno
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes it is hard, make sure you stay on top of things!
username5323908
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm getting my results in August and tbh I'm not worried at all. I didn't revise much or anything but I think I'll get mostly 5s and 6s. I just didn't see the point in damaging my mental health to get 8s and 9s when a 5 will get me into college the exact same you know.
hagrid69
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yep. Revise hun x

I mainly used flashcards for memorisation oh and lots of practice questions.

Use the resources given to you and for the love of god pay attention in lessons.

Just work hard; what goes around comes around 😉
fijitastic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
not gonna lie it was a breeze for me and people in my year didnt seem too stressed out either. You get less homework and tons of support from teachers. Personally, i just kept on top of my work and revised frequently but not for long and it worked for me. It's different for different people!
KrazyKriss
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You will probably never get as much support ever in life after y11 tbh
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
year 11 was the best year for me in school. less new content, practically half the year was just revision sessions which were really chilled out. it obviously gets more stressful the closer to exams you get, but just stay on top of your work and you’ll be fine.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not really. It was like year 10 but with more exam practice
mila679
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by KrazyKriss)
You will probably never get as much support ever in life after y11 tbh
What about for A Levels?
KrazyKriss
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mila679)
What about for A Levels?
You still get support but there is an element of independence: You have to go to your teachers rather than them reaching out as much/ encouraging you as in y11
lscanlon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I didn't get to finish year 11 due to Corona Virus, so my experience may be different, but it wasn't s bad as I thought it would be.
The only thing anyone talks about is exams and this can be scary, but as long as you know that it isn't the end of the world if something goes wrong it's a lot easier to cope. Start revising early (everyone says it but it's true) and you will be fine. Don't compare your revision/progress to anyone else's, you are on a different journey to them.
Take every opportunity of help from teachers. I was lucky enough to be able to attend 7 hours of before/after school revision a week, and this helped me massively. If anything like this is available to you, take it. Teachers can cater these sessions to the people who turn up every week, and its a good way to revise efficiently. I would forget I was revising as it just felt like an add on to the school day.
I hope this helped and I wish you the best of luck!
neko no basu
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Year 11 was a really stressful year as my year was the first to do the new 9-1 GCSEs for most subjects and so there was so much uncertainty. We were very pushed for time and almost didn't finish the course for history and the sciences because of poor planning.

There were few revision guides for some subjects and we only got our RS and computer science textbooks about a month or 2 before the exams. You would ask a teacher, "so I got x% on this test, what sort of grade does that equate to? " and the teacher would say "ummm, it's hard to tell really because this is the first year"

But, in the end, hard work pays off and my friends and I were all quite happy with our results
mila679
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yh don’t stress out about it because they make it seem like GCSEs are the most important thing in the world, and it feels like that, but I’m going into year 12 in September so I never got to actually do my exams. Now that I look back I think it’s probably quite easy to get good grades across all subjects for GCSEs if you put in the work, but don’t stress out over it like I did and don’t leave everything last minute, especially for science!! Make your revision resources as u go along for science because trust me it’s A LOT!

So yh do your best, make sure u get a decent grade in maths & english and the subjects u want to continue with, and just do well generally to get into sixth form. But really it’s A Levels that matter more.
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly, I’m going to be totally honest with you here, year 11 isn’t that bad.

Yes, it’s stressful as it’s your exams but as long as you revise and stay on top of your work, it’s not that hard. You’ll spend the year believing it’s so difficult but really it isn’t!

Just revise and stay on top of work and it’ll be fine! It’s your last year so just behave and revise and you’ll be fine
Yas031119
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
just make sure you don't leave everything to the last minute, teachers over-exaggerate the entire year about how hard they are and how they determine "everything", when really looking back it was nothing special compared to how much more important a-levels are now :3
CoastalWizard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To be honest year 11 is one of the most anticlimactic times i have ever had. In comparison to A-levels there is nothing at all to worry about. I didnt revise much at all came out with mostly 9s with a smattering of other grade down to a 6 in music which i didnt put the effort into learning the first time around and didnt get the most out of my teacher, when 'revising' i simply read through the textbook the week before the exam and when helping others maybe i absorbed more and reinforced it but they really are not difficult at all. Just listen to your teachers as they have seen hundreds if not thousands of people in exactly the same situation, no query however stupid to you hasnt been asked before. Just stay calm and dont freak out about it, if you paid at least some attention in class before and you are prepared to put even the slightest bit of effort into the exams you will come out just fine
CoastalWizard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mila679)
What about for A Levels?
(Original post by KrazyKriss)
You still get support but there is an element of independence: You have to go to your teachers rather than them reaching out as much/ encouraging you as in y11
Exactly as KrazyKriss says. You have to be responsible for your own work, they want to see you suceed but they cant chase everyone. You need to be willing to go and ask when you dont understand and ask the right questions, then you will hopefully get the answer/help that you needed.
josie71202
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
as long as you stay on top of stuff it's ok
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (197)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (153)
30.3%
Look for a job (17)
3.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.16%
Take a year out (87)
17.23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.94%

Watched Threads