66.67%
hard (1)
33.33%
Emma.Sando
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am currently in the process of choosing A levels to take at Middlesbrough College.
I am thinking of taking psychology, business, and criminology or sociology...
I would say I am average to decently academic, and so I'm wondering if these subjects are too hard, as I've heard mixed reviews on whether these subjects are hard or not?
Please reply. Thank you.
hope1279
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Emma.Sando)
I am currently in the process of choosing A levels to take at Middlesbrough College.
I am thinking of taking psychology, business, and criminology or sociology...
I would say I am average to decently academic, and so I'm wondering if these subjects are too hard, as I've heard mixed reviews on whether these subjects are hard or not?
Please reply. Thank you.
I did criminology, sociology and law. I'd say that criminology is easier than sociology but it all depends on what you're interested in learning. In sociology you study different topics like childhood, religion, education and crime and deviance. Crime and deviance is basically a brief overview of what you learn in criminology. In Criminology you look at everything in more detail and use real case examples in your work as well as researchers where as sociology is more about using just researchers and more of them.
Emma.Sando
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
thank you so much for the helpful summary! If I remember correctly, isn't it a lot of essay writing in sociology?
I am still very stuck on which one is more suitable for me, as both subjects have different strengths that I like about them
hope1279
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Emma.Sando)
thank you so much for the helpful summary! If I remember correctly, isn't it a lot of essay writing in sociology?
I am still very stuck on which one is more suitable for me, as both subjects have different strengths that I like about them
In sociology you have 3 papers which each include 2 topics on them. You have at least one 30 marker for each topic and then some 20s, 10s, 6s and 4s. Do you know which Criminology your college offers? Mine only did the WJEC level 3 diploma so I did that which included some coursework as well as traditional exams but the biggest question on a traditional paper was only 9 marks. It just depends on if you like writing essays or more shorter questions.
Emma.Sando
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
OK thank you. I'm not sure what criminology my college offers, but I am sure that there is no course work included in the final grade.
I know that everyone has different opinions and preferences, but out of sociology and criminology which did you find more interesting?
hope1279
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I preferred Criminology because I find learning about criminals and the way they work more interesting than stuff like religion and education. If you're thinking about going to university sociology is considered good because it's essay based and works well for most things. Criminology is more of a non-traditional subject but shows that you can analyse things well. It just depends on what interests you
OceanCat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Why is this in fashion and beauty? :confused:
Emma.Sando
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
Why is this in fashion and beauty? :confused:
Good question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (35)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (61)
29.61%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (79)
38.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.43%

Watched Threads