Vv1070
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, has anyone received the news about bdo pushing back the starting date for the 2020 graduate scheme?

I received the call from the hr last week and I am devastated. I was about to start in September but now it's late November. If any one is in the same shoes, let's connect.

I'm so afraid that bdo will cancel the entire intake. I turned down other firms to be with bdo. I really hope it doesn't disappoint me.
Last edited by Vv1070; 4 weeks ago

Finance and Accountancy Careers Content Blocks

hollie7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I got the same call. I had just been starting to organise flat viewings and had to cancel them as no point moving out till october/november now I dont think they will cancel the whole programme. Did you ask them any questions when they called? I didnt but feel like I should have but not sure what to ask.What office and scheme are you on if you dont mind me asking?
re-stacks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, yeah I'm the same - got the call last week. They also mentioned it would be a virtual induction, I wonder how long we'd be working remotely for? It's all a little bit disheartening, but I suppose I'd rather have it delayed than cancelled altogether! London Audit school leaver btw!
Advertisement
Vv1070
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hollie7)
Hi, I got the same call. I had just been starting to organise flat viewings and had to cancel them as no point moving out till october/november now I dont think they will cancel the whole programme. Did you ask them any questions when they called? I didnt but feel like I should have but not sure what to ask.What office and scheme are you on if you dont mind me asking?
Hi hollie7, I just asked a few questions regarding working visa. I'm an international student so I need their sponsorship. If everything starts as planned (in September), everything would be just right on time. Now I have to worry about visa. So upsetting. hr just said there will be online induction and nothing more. I'm in London office, graduate scheme.
Vv1070
Rep:
?
(Original post by re-stacks)
Hey, yeah I'm the same - got the call last week. They also mentioned it would be a virtual induction, I wonder how long we'd be working remotely for? It's all a little bit disheartening, but I suppose I'd rather have it delayed than cancelled altogether! London Audit school leaver btw!
Hi there, tbh, I don't think we'll be able to go to the office this year. At first I didn't worry about one thing because I already signed the contract with bdo. But since last week's call, I'm starting to have doubts. I'm also in London Audit, but I'm in the graduate scheme!
Advertisement
hollie7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Vv1070)
Hi hollie7, I just asked a few questions regarding working visa. I'm an international student so I need their sponsorship. If everything starts as planned (in September), everything would be just right on time. Now I have to worry about visa. So upsetting. hr just said there will be online induction and nothing more. I'm in London office, graduate scheme.
I'm on the audit grad scheme in Nottingham, oh no I hope everything works out with your visa, luckily im only moving an hour away from home!
re-stacks
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there, tbh, I don't think we'll be able to go to the office this year. At first I didn't worry about one thing because I already signed the contract with bdo. But since last week's call, I'm starting to have doubts. I'm also in London Audit, but I'm in the graduate scheme!
Yeah you're probably right about not being in the office this year! They've been quite good at keeping in contact since I got my offer, so I'm sure if there are any further changes they'll let us know right away
Did you apply for a specific sector in Audit?
Advertisement
Vv1070
Rep:
?
(Original post by re-stacks)
Yeah you're probably right about not being in the office this year! They've been quite good at keeping in contact since I got my offer, so I'm sure if there are any further changes they'll let us know right away
Did you apply for a specific sector in Audit?
Yeah, and I'm actually surprised that they called everyone rather than send out an email. I guess that shows how much they care about their employees. I'll start with real estate. I didn't know how I got assigned to it. But during my ac, every assessor was from real estate. So I guess it was just a coincidence. What about you?
hollie7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I didn't choose a specfic sector but my contract says my department is business assurance
Advertisement
re-stacks
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ah cool! I chose the International sector - mainly for the travel, but with COVID I might be waiting on that part haha
RadioBird
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Vv1070 hollie7 re-stacks,

I got my offer for the FS Audit (London) Graduate Programme at BDO last week, and was told that the induction would be around the 23rd November (and would be virtual) - I'll apparently be receiving the employment contract via post very soon.

Therefore, I wouldn't worry about intakes being cancelled - when I spoke with the FS Audit Director interviewing me, she had mentioned that business (at least within FS Audit) was up by about 20% since the coronavirus hoohah, implying that it hasn't had as much of an effect on BDO as they had initially anticipated. She mentioned that they were indeed hiring graduates (graduate hires are basically the same as apprenticeship hires: just different traineeship lengths...so this applies to school leavers too imo).

My application was actually cancelled in April (to my dismay) because the intake had its 'spaces filled'. I could tell it was because of coronavirus uncertainty. I got a sudden call from BDO two weeks ago telling me that there were new spaces, and the following week I had my AC and interview and got the offer. So, I believe it was in fact a hiring freeze rather than the outright closure of the intake! So again: do not worry guys! Plus, an employment contract is binding Technically, even a verbal offer is binding! BDO know what they're doing and their HR has been on point so far.

Further evidence to alleviate any concerns from the industry as a whole: after radio silence from EY FS Assurance (Audit) in London, they have randomly jumpstarted pre-employment screening and DBS checks for those on their 'reserve list' (c.f. my thread). I found it odd that so many had been on a reserve list from March all the way to May, despite EY booking valuable partner time for interviews throughout. I believe they too had frozen hiring, and have now resumed it, and all those who joined the reserve list in that time period will get offers.

TL;DR: Don't worry too much about BDO intakes being cancelled! There was scepticism in the entire industry but now entry-level hiring SEEMS to be firing on all cylinders...at least for all those who had applied before the programme deadlines!
Last edited by RadioBird; 3 weeks ago
Advertisement
re-stacks
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RadioBird)
Hi Vv1070 hollie7 re-stacks,

I got my offer for the FS Audit (London) Graduate Programme at BDO last week, and was told that the induction would be around the 23rd November (and would be virtual) - I'll apparently be receiving the employment contract via post very soon.

Therefore, I wouldn't worry about intakes being cancelled - when I spoke with the FS Audit Director interviewing me, she had mentioned that business (at least within FS Audit) was up by about 20% since the coronavirus hoohah, implying that it hasn't had as much of an effect on BDO as they had initially anticipated. She mentioned that they were indeed hiring graduates (graduate hires are basically the same as apprenticeship hires: just different traineeship lengths...so this applies to school leavers too imo).

My application was actually cancelled in April (to my dismay) because the intake had its 'spaces filled'. I could tell it was because of coronavirus uncertainty. I got a sudden call from BDO two weeks ago telling me that there were new spaces, and the following week I had my AC and interview and got the offer. So, I believe it was in fact a hiring freeze rather than the outright closure of the intake! So again: do not worry guys! Plus, an employment contract is binding Technically, even a verbal offer is binding! BDO know what they're doing and their HR has been on point so far.

Further evidence to alleviate any concerns from the industry as a whole: after radio silence from EY FS Assurance (Audit) in London, they have randomly jumpstarted pre-employment screening and DBS checks for those on their 'reserve list' (c.f. my thread). I found it odd that so many had been on a reserve list from March all the way to May, despite EY booking valuable partner time for interviews throughout. I believe they too had frozen hiring, and have now resumed it, and all those who joined the reserve list in that time period will get offers.

TL;DR: Don't worry too much about BDO intakes being cancelled! There was scepticism in the entire industry but now entry-level hiring SEEMS to be firing on all cylinders...at least for all those who had applied before the programme deadlines!
That’s some pretty good news to hear, congrats on your offers!

I wonder why specifically FS Audit seems to be on the up right now? Maybe audits on financial firms are the easiest to do remotely?
alfieldau
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, similar to your case, I am also international student holding London FS Audit Graduate offer. New start appears to be consistent as well - 23 Nov.
Advertisement
alfieldau
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah, and I'm actually surprised that they called everyone rather than send out an email. I guess that shows how much they care about their employees. I'll start with real estate. I didn't know how I got assigned to it. But during my ac, every assessor was from real estate. So I guess it was just a coincidence. What about you?
IMO, call or email, don’t think it made a difference on this occasion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (258)
39.88%
Take autumn exams (195)
30.14%
Look for a job (21)
3.25%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.86%
Take a year out (110)
17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.87%

Watched Threads