Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    in my AS got a Bon my statement it mentions the mark 230 and i needed 240 to get an A...? also how many marks do i need to get in a2 to get an a overall?

ReputationRep:
    480 for a A at A2

ReputationRep:
    lol does a level punjabi even exists ... i didnt know, id probably be alright at it

ReputationRep:
    480 - 230 = 250. That's what you need at A2.

ReputationRep:
    so what percentage are we looking at here- hw well do i need to do in my a2 exam?

ReputationRep:
    You will need to average 83.33333...% in your remaining exams to get the A grade overall.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, just over 80%, so it's not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark-knight)
    lol does a level punjabi even exists ... i didnt know, id probably be alright at it
    Nah I doubt it. :laughing:

This guy done Arabic in our school, but it werent offered as an A'Level. He just used the school so he could sit the exam. So really I guess it can be done with any subject.

I guess its another worthless ''free'' A'level to add to the list. good if you can get an A in it without even trying.

What I didnt understand is how people who's mothertongue was Urdu but still managed to get C's and D's at gcse's in it. Thats just abismal. I rather have done a modern foreign language and get that grade. It would be less embarrassing! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SupaMirch)

What I didnt understand is how people who's mothertongue was Urdu but still managed to get C's and D's at gcse's in it. Thats just abismal. I rather have done a modern foreign language and get that grade. It would be less embarrassing! :p:
    Isn't that obvious? They are good at speaking it, however poor at writing/reading it... And that is half the exam. So that is how they got Ds and Es. The Urdu script is similar to Arabic anyway, nothing like English script.

ReputationRep:

This guy done Arabic in our school, but it werent offered as an A'Level. He just used the school so he could sit the exam. So really I guess it can be done with any subject.

I guess its another worthless ''free'' A'level to add to the list. good if you can get an A in it without even trying.

Lots of people get C's and D's in English Language GCSE too, when it's their mother tongue. :P

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to know how to write it to take for A-Level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    Lots of people get C's and D's in English Language GCSE too, when it's their mother tongue. :P
    GCSE English Language is different though. GCSE Urdu is at a very basic level compared to English Language. So the two subjects can not be compared...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    Do you need to know how to write it to take for A-Level?
    Yes of course.

ReputationRep:

Not all A-levels are offered at schools, but schools can enter students for one if it exists (you can't just invent one of course) even if they don't normally offer it.

There are actually quite a few languages available at A-level though: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek (both modern and classical), Gujarati, Hebrew (both modern and classical), Irish, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Panjabi, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu and Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Thats abismal too! But english gcse is crucial whereas doing something you can speak/read/write at home is not worth spending time on if it means it compromises your performance on other subjects and i guess from my experience ive noticed that it does unfortunately

I say go for some less important subject like a language such as gujarati, urdu, punjabi at gcse. I hear thats what employers and universities are looking for these days as minimum requirements

''Must have at least B grade in maths, english and......gujarati'' :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematician!)
    GCSE English Language is different though. GCSE Urdu is at a very basic level compared to English Language. So the two subjects can not be compared...
    Maybe, but English Language is hardly difficult. I could be biased in that respect though.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but English Language is hardly difficult. I could be biased in that respect though.
    If urdu is at a basic level, surely they should be able to perform better in that?

Even though i achieved a good grade at GCSE, i still found english quite difficult despite it being my first language i guess

ReputationRep:

Why is it worthless??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobagnall)
    Why is it worthless??
    I was going to ask you to name me one useful attribute of doing such languages?

Maybe its a bit harsh to call it worthless, but i still think it comes into the category of useless A level to have.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to ask you to name me one useful attribute of doing such languages?

Maybe its a bit harsh to call it worthless, but i still think it comes into the category of useless A level to have.
    Again, why is that is worthless compared to French or German?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.