Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    But basically Punjabi kicks ass compared to french or german lol...who's with me with that, rep Apne Punjab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobagnall)
    Again, why is that is worthless compared to French or German?
    Because I assume that most people taking A level punjabi already speak the language as a result of family. Therefore it is an a level in a language you are fluent in and doesn't say much about your intelligence. It would be like a frenchman getting an A in a level french.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owl1867)
    Because I assume that most people taking A level punjabi already speak the language as a result of family. Therefore it is an a level in a language you are fluent in and doesn't say much about your intelligence. It would be like a frenchman getting an A in a level french.
    Like an Englishman getting an A in English...

I know a girl who lived in germany for two years and did german A level so i dont see the problem with it...

And to be honest, its not so much different to say if your born into a musical family, and from your birth your surrounded by music and instruments, therefore as your grow up you learn music from your family. but you wouldnt say thats a usless a level for the exact same reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobagnall)
    Like an Englishman getting an A in English...

I know a girl who lived in germany for two years and did german A level so i dont see the problem with it...

And to be honest, its not so much different to say if your born into a musical family, and from your birth your surrounded by music and instruments, therefore as your grow up you learn music from your family. but you wouldnt say thats a usless a level for the exact same reason.
    English A level is different to an a level in a foreign language. An a level in english does not test your knowledge of the language by reading you passages and asking you to pick out information that would be very straightforward were you fluent in the language. English A level is much more about comparisons between texts etc. than learning new words.

As with music the person has still taught themselves to play the instrument through lots of practice and effort. I never remember being taught to speak English it just happens.

I think music is different
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd hate to do punjabi I think lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeev)
    But basically Punjabi kicks ass compared to french or german lol...who's with me with that, rep Apne Punjab
    Qi?
    What?
    Yes, I know some Punjabi! Balle Balle! Mum and Dad speak it. I listen... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owl1867)
    English A level is different to an a level in a foreign language. An a level in english does not test your knowledge of the language by reading you passages and asking you to pick out information that would be very straightforward were you fluent in the language. English A level is much more about comparisons between texts etc. than learning new words.

As with music the person has still taught themselves to play the instrument through lots of practice and effort. I never remember being taught to speak English it just happens.

I think music is different
    I completely agree with you! Thank you for your more articulate answer!

I think music is different because first of all you're born into a particular genre or division of music in your family. For example if you're indian and you were taught to play the sitar. However at alevels you chose music alevel because its other forms of music from other parts of the world for example that interested you and therefore thought it were beneficial if say you were to pursue a BA in music at university.

As I do not speak urdu or arabic nor am I a muslim but wanted to pursue a career in Islamic studies then i think in this case such A'levels would attain a benefical role in my institution of education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SupaMirch)
    Nah I doubt it. :laughing:

This guy done Arabic in our school, but it werent offered as an A'Level. He just used the school so he could sit the exam. So really I guess it can be done with any subject.

I guess its another worthless ''free'' A'level to add to the list. good if you can get an A in it without even trying.

What I didnt understand is how people who's mothertongue was Urdu but still managed to get C's and D's at gcse's in it. Thats just abismal. I rather have done a modern foreign language and get that grade. It would be less embarrassing! :p:
    Though I suppose it is rather embarassing to get terrible marks in your mother tongue, it may just be that the people that did, and do, simply don't speak the language that they're being examined on, perhaps they're just far too colloquial?

I know for a fact that if I did GCSE or A Level in any of my mother tongues, they'd probably give me a U but that doesn't mean I can't make myself perfectly understood.:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur_de_haine)
    Though I suppose it is rather embarassing to get terrible marks in your mother tongue, it may just be that the people that did, and do, simply don't speak the language that they're being examined on, perhaps they're just far too colloquial?

I know for a fact that if I did GCSE or A Level in any of my mother tongues, they'd probably give me a U but that doesn't mean I can't make myself perfectly understood.:ninja:
    Fair enough.

Like my 1st language- English. In this case I might be perfectly understood, but is it necessarily correct what Im saying? Maybe its our responsibility then to teach the succeeding generation the 'proper'' language, that goes for any language. Also as mentioned before the level which these languages are taught are at a very basic level.

Also I'd still like to find someone whos Alevel non modern language has founded a particular use?

And for those choosing such languages at gcse's, i think they are under a false impression that becuase they 'think'' they know the language it'll be a ''doss'' as they say. I just say its a waste of a GCSE, i personally wouldnt just choose a language that i know just because i feel that its a guaranteed A. Also such languages hold no particular use for employers or universities unless one plans to study that further.

(Original post by Jeev)
    Balle.

Horr Kiddha ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SupaMirch)
    Fair enough.

Like my 1st language- English. In this case I might be perfectly understood, but is it necessarily correct what Im saying? Maybe its our responsibility then to teach the succeeding generation the 'proper'' language, that goes for any language. Also as mentioned before the level which these languages are taught are at a very basic level.

Also I'd still like to find someone whos Alevel non modern language has founded a particular use?

And for those choosing such languages at gcse's, i think they are under a false impression that becuase they 'think'' they know the language it'll be a ''doss'' as they say. I just say its a waste of a GCSE, i personally wouldnt just choose a language that i know just because i feel that its a guaranteed A. Also such languages hold no particular use for employers or universities unless one plans to study that further.
    You've a point. My parents have tried to teach me along the way, I just don't care much for learning it; there's really no real point for me. I'll never need to speak in the prestige dialect day-to-do, nor will I ever have to use any of them as a language of instruction, so my current fluency will suffice. I think it's the same with the people you speak of, but they just fail to realise that they don't actually speak the 'pure'/'proper' form of the language.:rolleyes:

I would have taken A Levels in my languages if it weren't for the fact that I knew I'd have to do some work; in fact, I'm actually considering it now. Why? Simply because I want to have a certificate saying that I've done it. For others, perhaps they simply feel that in this day and age, another A or A* for no work can only serve to be an asset; the few hours it takes to sit the exam are hardly going to be the end of the world eh? That said, if I had taken my languages for A Level, they probably would have counted towards my offer, simply because there'd be nothing to suggest that it shouldn't - nobody would be able to tell that they were learnt mostly at home.

One thing, Panjabi is a modern foreign language, unless you're referring to say Latin or Ancient Greek

ReputationRep:
    Plus to get good marks in AS and A level it's not enough to just know the language quite well, you need to know about the culture of the countries in question as well. This is something a candidate may not have if they were raised in Britain and just learned their 'foreign' language from their parents. Especially if they never had lessons and just strolled into the exam expecting an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollywollydoodle)
    Plus to get good marks in AS and A level it's not enough to just know the language quite well, you need to know about the culture of the countries in question as well. This is something a candidate may not have if they were raised in Britain and just learned their 'foreign' language from their parents. Especially if they never had lessons and just strolled into the exam expecting an A.
    Yes you make a good point. I did ALevel Spanish and it was compulsory to mention something related to a spanish speaking country.

But then having said that I didnt choose Spanish because I wanted to learn about its culture.

Also what fleur de haine said about it just counting towards you offer I guess for some people thats all that matters really getting into the university of their desire. I happened to continue Spanish for A2 even though it counted as my fourth A2 and I didnt really need it for dentistry. But I guess its just something I chose out of interest as I like to travel and as many countries speak it especially in South and Central America it would be an invaluable asset to have.

So I guess maybe the same could be said for someone doing their native language that and trying to meet the entry requirements

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.