The Student Room Group

Gaining masters outside of my degree

Trying to go for a Economics and finance masters degree at Kings college London, but the entry requirements state you have to be from a science/ engineering background.

The modules are introduction to economics etc. My question is, as a management graduate - what is the best way of converting/ filling in that education gap to go to a masters as I don’t have funds for another degree

My questions:
1) do edX certificates help in applications ?
2) is the economics course I am discussing difficult at masters ?
Original post by Dragon89
Trying to go for a Economics and finance masters degree at Kings college London, but the entry requirements state you have to be from a science/ engineering background.

The modules are introduction to economics etc. My question is, as a management graduate - what is the best way of converting/ filling in that education gap to go to a masters as I don’t have funds for another degree

My questions:
1) do edX certificates help in applications ?
2) is the economics course I am discussing difficult at masters ?

There's something called a graduate diploma which you can take. Except I don't know which ones will be considered by KCL as acceptable for this course as it is specifically asking for a degree in any of those subjects.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Not entirely sure if KCL does these but some unis will let you take a PGCert/PGDip version of the Masters and if you complete these satisfactorily then they'll transfer you over to the masters program :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
Not entirely sure if KCL does these but some unis will let you take a PGCert/PGDip version of the Masters and if you complete these satisfactorily then they'll transfer you over to the masters program :smile:

Thanks for the response. It is not listed but I was wondering, if you stop at a certain point and request to be given a PGDip or Cert instead - is that allowed or even an option ?
Reply 4
Original post by Dragon89
Thanks for the response. It is not listed but I was wondering, if you stop at a certain point and request to be given a PGDip or Cert instead - is that allowed or even an option ?

Umm i see no reason why not, them being awarded depending on how many units you complete. So i would assume so yes :smile:

* fair warning though, that might be different between universities and some programs will have prerequisite modules to be completed so it could still vary
Reply 5
Original post by Napp
Umm i see no reason why not, them being awarded depending on how many units you complete. So i would assume so yes :smile:

* fair warning though, that might be different between universities and some programs will have prerequisite modules to be completed so it could still vary

Don’t want to make unis mad too! Haha. I should ask them, given they also have stats etc like this is x amount of people who successfully completed the programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending