Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-maya)
    Hmm now I have been paid but I don't think its enough?
    Basically i've been there 2 weeks and earn 4.94 and hour...

Week 1 - Worked 12 hours, didn't get paid.
    Week 2 (this week) - Worked 9.5 hours, got paid today 47.48

So have they missed out my first week, or do you think I will get that next friday? :confused:
    Well at Next you get paid in arrears every Friday. So for example i've worked 12 hours this week but I won't get paid for them till next week on Friday. I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by small&mighty)
    Just because you're not confident isn't really a reason for them to not keep you. It took me ages to gain confidence, and now there's no stopping me! The fitting room thing, what actually happened?
    When I worked in Next they did criticise me for not being talkative enough to customers. Everyone else was. I don't think if it was a permanent position they would have kept me on going by their attitude, but it could vary between stores.

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering if anyone knows. Can you swap shifts , or get someone else to cover your shift
    ( obviously if you find someone who is willing to )

ReputationRep:
    Yep! People used to ask each other all the time!

ReputationRep:
    me again. i have a question similar to my first one, so sorry if it is repetitive. Basically i want to go on holiday and i phoned to ask if its possble to take unpaid holidays, to which i was told no. I only work 5 hours on sunday and just wanted someone to cover for me ( I would not have thought there would be shortage of people wanting extra shifts). I knowother people who have done a similar thing, and even people who have left, and are leaving for several months and returned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayjay)
    me again. i have a question similar to my first one, so sorry if it is repetitive. Basically i want to go on holiday and i phoned to ask if its possble to take unpaid holidays, to which i was told no. I only work 5 hours on sunday and just wanted someone to cover for me ( I would not have thought there would be shortage of people wanting extra shifts). I knowother people who have done a similar thing, and even people who have left, and are leaving for several months and returned
    If you've asked them and they've said no, there isn't really much you can do. If someone covers for you, then you need to make up the hours you've missed i.e. by doing their shift, and if you're on holiday you won't be able to do this. Why don't you go on holiday when you booked it off or were given it off?

In regards to the people leaving for several months and returning, it's likely that these are Uni students, who transfer between stores during holiday periods, as we have a lot of students who do this at my store, and other stores where I live.

ReputationRep:
    If you've asked them and they've said no, there isn't really much you can do. If someone covers for you, then you need to make up the hours you've missed i.e. by doing their shift, and if you're on holiday you won't be able to do this. Why don't you go on holiday when you booked it off or were given it off?

In regards to the people leaving for several months and returning, it's likely that these are Uni students, who transfer between stores during holiday periods, as we have a lot of students who do this at my store, and other stores where I live.
    So if i work on sunday, that's the start of the week, so i could swap with someone who works saturdays. and then if i get my other 2 holidays it would work out as 3 weeks(ish).

I booked 2 holidays off before exam and that only leaves me with 2. 2 want to go away for 4 weeks in june/july; can't go in august.

The people leaving for months was not for uni, and they are doing it again this summer. Are managers allowed to use their discretion, because someone else i know said they got unpid holidays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayjay)
    So if i work on sunday, that's the start of the week, so i could swap with someone who works saturdays. and then if i get my other 2 holidays it would work out as 3 weeks(ish).

I booked 2 holidays off before exam and that only leaves me with 2. 2 want to go away for 4 weeks in june/july; can't go in august.

The people leaving for months was not for uni, and they are doing it again this summer. Are managers allowed to use their discretion, because someone else i know said they got unpid holidays.
    With the swapping shifts thing, it is usually at your managers discretion, some will allow, some won't. And don't forget that you're not allowed more than two weeks off at a time, so that is probably why they won't let you have it off as holiday - paid or unpaid.

If you've still got holiday left to book then you're lucky, ours had to be booked by February - I didn't know this and it got booked for me, on days I didn't want it so I'm stuck with holiday I don't want.

ReputationRep:
    With the swapping shifts thing, it is usually at your managers discretion, some will allow, some won't. And don't forget that you're not allowed more than two weeks off at a time, so that is probably why they won't let you have it off as holiday - paid or unpaid.

If you've still got holiday left to book then you're lucky, ours had to be booked by February - I didn't know this and it got booked for me, on days I didn't want it so I'm stuck with holiday I don't want.
    It's kinda unfair that it can be at their discretion. I never knew you aren't allowed more than two weeks off, i think that is ridiculous. I find the way they deal with holidays and shift flexibility etc ridiculous. they expect, and get so much, in terms of basically doing what they ask but give you no leeway, despit the fat that you are only really doing like one shift not exactly indispensible.

The booking holidays thing is ridiulous as well i never understood it. the amount of times i have been randomly put in for holidays and times ive gone in and half way through the shift they say ure meant to be on holiday.

Generally i find that they bend over backwards to accmodate the customer as do the staff but they treat staff crappily

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.