Turn on thread page Beta

Help Gym watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what kind of diet plan and what nutrients should I take if I am wanting bulk up?

ReputationRep:
    Hercules beleives a high protein diet is best if you want to pack on muscle, he also beleives athough protein shakes are good they dont replace chiken etc and should only be used if you have no time to eat a meal

hercules beleives though effort is the key factor and you should simply train hard, eat fairly well and you should reach your goal of packing on the muscle

Hercules

ReputationRep:
    Eat like theres no tommorrow, Lift like theres no Today.

ReputationRep:
    I need a sort of diet plan...cos I am with david lloyds they provided me my exercise routine...

ReputationRep:
    david lloyds, hercules attends that gym also, the one in milton keynes!!

2500 calories is what a male needs to consume in a day, using logic you can work out if you eat more than that you put on weight, so you'll need to be eating 3000-3500 calories a day, examples of diets, well a mixtue of carbohyrates and proein is defenly the direction you sould be looking at, hercules suggests sandwiches/jacket potatoes stuffed with tuna/chicken. perfect pre workout or as a lunch, for breakfast baked beans, pcked with energy, porridge etc, dinners you know fish, vegetales, poaes etc, fruit/nuts as sncks, hercules knows this isnt a specific diet plan but hopes it helps and gives the op some help and guideance

Hercules

ReputationRep:
    Tips on beginners bulking (this is complicated!):

• Calorie Excess over your Basal metobolic rate
    • Resistance training

Its really that simple. First use this link: BMR calculator to work out an estimation of your BMR. This will not be exact, but a good starting point. Then research Rippetoes Starting strength program. We have some info in the sticky if I remember correctly. Ask any questions you have though, we are pretty damn knowledgable round here.

Know you have all of the basic knowledge you need to begin your training.

As for diet stick to fairly clean foods, for weight gain you will need to be eating fairly clean, leans meats turkey, chicken, tuna, beef are all good. The carbs you want are slow release carbs: Wholemeal bread,wholemeal pasta, brown rice, Scottish porridge oats. You need to be taking in good fats as well; omega 3 fats from meats such as salmon or any other oily fish, flax seed oil. Eat plently of vegetables for vitamins. The 2 best things you can use in your diet will be Eggs and Milk. It is recommended you drink 1 gallon of milk per day on the SS program to facilitate the weight gain. If you have every tried to drink that much in one go you will know it has to be split up over the day. I go for a few glasses in the day and then 4 pints before bed. And make sure its full fat milk.

In terms of the calories you're eating, aim for the BMR number from the calculator, and weigh yourself at the beginning of a week, after waking and taking a dump. Then a week later weigh yourself under the same conditions, if you have lost weight eat more, if you have gained 17stone, thats a good sign to eat less, or check your scales are working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    Tips on beginners bulking (this is complicated!):
    Just to add it's definately worth reading up on google/bodybuilding.com/library about what your body does with food, what you need depending on your weight, height and age etc and getting an actual plan down that starting with random numbers!

I appreciate reading a good amount of text about bulking and building muscle so that I know which foods to avoid and when to eat what and how much etc

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.