hollyoaks678
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’ve applied to uni of York for a masters but on the application form there definitely was not any section where I could add a referee. Usually it asks you to type in their name and email but there was none of that. I that that was strange when I submitted it but thought maybe they just didn’t need one.

I then got details to log into the applicant portal and thought maybe I could add references here. I couldn’t but there was a “ references” section but obviously it didn’t have any details on because there was no section in the first place.

I’ve emailed the postgraduate admissions team but I definitely did not overlook a references section. Has anyone else had this?
Zee_gal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hollyoaks678)
I’ve applied to uni of York for a masters but on the application form there definitely was not any section where I could add a referee. Usually it asks you to type in their name and email but there was none of that. I that that was strange when I submitted it but thought maybe they just didn’t need one.

I then got details to log into the applicant portal and thought maybe I could add references here. I couldn’t but there was a “ references” section but obviously it didn’t have any details on because there was no section in the first place.

I’ve emailed the postgraduate admissions team but I definitely did not overlook a references section. Has anyone else had this?
I think you might be given a conditional offer. Then you'd have to submit reference letters before your offer would become unconditional. It happen to me at the University of Hull.
hollyoaks678
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Zee_gal)
I think you might be given a conditional offer. Then you'd have to submit reference letters before your offer would become unconditional. It happen to me at the University of Hull.
Oh ok thank you! So they just require applicants to send their references after they’ve given them a conditional?
Advertisement
Zee_gal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hollyoaks678)
Oh ok thank you! So they just require applicants to send their references after they’ve given them a conditional?
I did add the details of my references when I applied but the uni didn't contact them.
10studentlife
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think I read somewhere that they didn't require a reference anymore because of COVID?
Advertisement
jackien1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 10studentlife)
I think I read somewhere that they didn't require a reference anymore because of COVID?
Do you have that source? Seems weird given that references are done pretty much entirely online, which isn't hindered by covid.
10studentlife
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jackien1)
Do you have that source? Seems weird givenhttps://www.york.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/apply/documents/ that references are done pretty much entirely online, which isn't hindered by covid.
see blue box
Advertisement
10studentlife
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
see blue box
https://www.york.ac.uk/study/postgra...ply/documents/
jackien1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How interesting, I wonder why. All the unis I applied to still asked for references, wasn't even aware this was a thing unis were doing.
Advertisement
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you have that source? Seems weird given that references are done pretty much entirely online, which isn't hindered by covid.
Often they are required to be done on headed paper and scanned., Most people do not have access to headed paper from home (I know because I have ran into this difficulty myself writing references for some of my students)
jackien1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Often they are required to be done on headed paper and scanned., Most people do not have access to headed paper from home (I know because I have ran into this difficulty myself writing references for some of my students)
That seems a bit ridiculous (or archaic) tbh, just cause you didn't have a bit of paper. And you can quite easily put a university's logo/header on an online document.

edit: which is what my referees did, and the unis I applied to were mostly RGs. Which perhaps seems a bit irrelevant here, but if any unis were going to be uppity about stuff like that I'd expect it to be the RGs.
Last edited by jackien1; 2 weeks ago
Advertisement
10studentlife
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How interesting, I wonder why. All the unis I applied to still asked for references, wasn't even aware this was a thing unis were doing.
Yeh, saves another thing to do though I guess. What have you applied for out of interest?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That seems a bit ridiculous (or archaic) tbh, just cause you didn't have a bit of paper. And you can quite easily put a university's logo/header on an online document.
the issue as they see it is that anyone could do that, whereas only staff tend to have access to headed paper

But yes, I think it is daft, too

nevertheless, lots of places insist upon it when we do references
Advertisement
jackien1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeh, saves another thing to do though I guess. What have you applied for out of interest?
Applied for bioinformatics at manchester, QMUL, notts (who cancelled the course), leicester and data science at sheffield.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (193)
38.83%
Take autumn exams (153)
30.78%
Look for a job (17)
3.42%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.23%
Take a year out (85)
17.1%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.63%

Watched Threads