Rajshi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello! I've been wanting to get into criminal psy fields to work for juvenile crime actively. I have a legal background and now am considering psy postgrad for this in UK. Should I go for MSc in Forensic Psy (BPS accredited) and then find my way into working for juvenile delinquents or would it be better to do MSc Criminology & Crim Justice and then doctorate in forensic psychology for licensing later?
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Rajshi)
Hello! I've been wanting to get into criminal psy fields to work for juvenile crime actively. I have a legal background and now am considering psy postgrad for this in UK. Should I go for MSc in Forensic Psy (BPS accredited) and then find my way into working for juvenile delinquents or would it be better to do MSc Criminology & Crim Justice and then doctorate in forensic psychology for licensing later?
Hi there,

If you want to work in psychology, many employers will require that your qualification is BPS accredited, the same goes for going on to a doctorate. It depends what side of things you want to get into, psychology would be more suitable if you want to support offenders directly, whereas criminology could be better if you want to work in the organisational or legislative side of things.

It might be a good idea to look at some current vacancies that you think you'd be interested in and see what kind of qualifications they're asking for.

Hope that helps, thanks, Mark
Rajshi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi there,

If you want to work in psychology, many employers will require that your qualification is BPS accredited, the same goes for going on to a doctorate. It depends what side of things you want to get into, psychology would be more suitable if you want to support offenders directly, whereas criminology could be better if you want to work in the organisational or legislative side of things.

It might be a good idea to look at some current vacancies that you think you'd be interested in and see what kind of qualifications they're asking for.

Hope that helps, thanks, Mark
Thanks! National Careers Service

This helps a lot. I am interested in the psychology side of crime and want to support offenders directly. I have an undergraduate degree in law. Is it better if I look for accredited postgraduate degrees that combine Psychology and Criminology/Criminal Justice system? Any College recommendations?
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thanks! National Careers Service

This helps a lot. I am interested in the psychology side of crime and want to support offenders directly. I have an undergraduate degree in law. Is it better if I look for accredited postgraduate degrees that combine Psychology and Criminology/Criminal Justice system? Any College recommendations?
Hi there thanks for coming back to us.

It is important that you look to see whether or not the postgraduate has accreditation and combining psychology and criminology could be a good way to combine both your interests. You could also look at Forensic Psychology postgraduate degrees as you may find these match your interests.

Unfortunately we cannot recommend any universities or colleges over another but you can use 'Which Uni' and 'What Uni' to find out which uni's are most recommended.

I hope that helps - Sophie.
Rajshi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi there thanks for coming back to us.

It is important that you look to see whether or not the postgraduate has accreditation and combining psychology and criminology could be a good way to combine both your interests. You could also look at Forensic Psychology postgraduate degrees as you may find these match your interests.

Unfortunately we cannot recommend any universities or colleges over another but you can use 'Which Uni' and 'What Uni' to find out which uni's are most recommended.

I hope that helps - Sophie.
Thanks Sophie! National Careers Service

That's actually the issue I'm facing - Hardly any good accredited universities that combine both psychology and criminology at a postgraduate level. I've been told that careers with Forensic Psychology do not really include supporting offenders directly but mostly paperwork and will be too narrow.. Hence I'm confused. Also, slightly confused with whether to opt for MSc or MA since I don't have an undergrad in natural sciences
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

That's actually the issue I'm facing - Hardly any good accredited universities that combine both psychology and criminology at a postgraduate level. I've been told that careers with Forensic Psychology do not really include supporting offenders directly but mostly paperwork and will be too narrow.. Hence I'm confused. Also, slightly confused with whether to opt for MSc or MA since I don't have an undergrad in natural sciences
Like I said on your other threads, you'd need to complete a conversion course and then just a straight masters in Forensic Psychology. There aren't any MA's in Forensic Psychology either, they're all MSc's.

Also I'm not sure who told you that it won't involve supporting offenders direcly but a Forensic Psychologist role is very offender-based considering the biggest employer of FP's is the prison and probation services. There will always be paperwork in a job like that but a considerable amount of time is spent working with offenders in interventions, treatment programmes and risk assessments too.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 8 months ago
National Careers Service
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Hi there,

Forensic psychology careers are very varied, you can be in roles directly helping offenders through probation services, working in prisons, working with the police or working within NHS mental health services. I'd recommend checking out our job profile on this career to help you further your research - https://nationalcareers.service.gov....c-psychologist

A lot of postgraduate psychology courses are MSc (Masters of social sciences) and is probably the most widely recognised, talk it through with some of the universities you have mind.

Let me know if you have any further questions, we are more than happy to help.

Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads