curly123x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey I’m a student hoping to start my Bsc Biological Sciences this September. After my degree I hope to do a PGCE in primary teaching.

However, I have heard from some people that it is extremely difficult to get a primary school teacher’s job as a biology graduate (even if you have a PGCE from a red brick uni) and you need to do a bunch of courses and stuff to get a permanent job.

Is this true??
bwilliams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi - that is total nonsense. Doesn't matter which uni you go to either. Try and do your PGCE at a uni near the area you'd like to work. Biological sciences would be a good degree to have - I don't know anyone from my career with a biology degree working in primary schools.
curly123x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bwilliams)
Hi - that is total nonsense. Doesn't matter which uni you go to either. Try and do your PGCE at a uni near the area you'd like to work. Biological sciences would be a good degree to have - I don't know anyone from my career with a biology degree working in primary schools.
Really? So you wouldn’t require additional courses to land a primary school teaching job either?
bwilliams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by curly123x)
Really? So you wouldn’t require additional courses to land a primary school teaching job either?
You need your degree and your PGCE or a BEd.
Get into Teaching
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi curly123x
Being an experienced primary teacher myself I have never heard of this problem at all. My degree subject was never a problem or mentioned when applying to jobs, other than myself bringing it up to say how much I loved the subject. Although different training providers may have specific recruitment criteria, there are some basic eligibility requirements you’ll need to meet to become a qualified teacher in England.In summary, you'll need or be working towards a degree, GCSE grade C / 4 in English and maths – and a science subject for primary trainees. If your unsure of your next step? Register with us for support from an expert adviser who will be an experienced teacher and able to guide you through the next steps.
Please give us a call on 0800 389 2500 and ask for an adviser, alternatively, register on the getintoteaching website and we shall call you!
hope that helps
Olivia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise