The Student Room Group

Asking current MA supervisor about PhD supervision?

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by oswalds
I'm coming to the end of my MA right now, and I'm planning on applying for a PhD for 2021 entry. I've been looking around for potential supervisors but have been struggling a bit - I have a idea for what I would like to write on but I haven't found many supervisors researching in this area.

My current MA supervisor has just started supervising PhDs - her research is very similar to what I am interested in and we get along well. Would it be frowned upon at all to work with the same supervisor throughout? I would also be approaching other potential supervisors, but I've been at this university since I did my undergraduate and I'm concerned that it'll make me look inflexible by future employers if that makes sense? I do really like the University and its the most convenient for me based on where I live.

I had the same Supervisor for Masters and PhD, it worked fine. Inflexibility is just one single possible perspective, and a pretty weak one. Good working relationship, depth and strength, didn't want to get rid, are all equally valid perspectives and based on the evidence.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I had the same Supervisor for Masters and PhD, it worked fine. Inflexibility is just one single possible perspective, and a pretty weak one. Good working relationship, depth and strength, didn't want to get rid, are all equally valid perspectives and based on the evidence.

Thank you - this is really helpful! I don't want to move universities just for the sake of moving.
Original post by oswalds
I'm coming to the end of my MA right now, and I'm planning on applying for a PhD for 2021 entry. I've been looking around for potential supervisors but have been struggling a bit - I have a idea for what I would like to write on but I haven't found many supervisors researching in this area.

My current MA supervisor has just started supervising PhDs - her research is very similar to what I am interested in and we get along well. Would it be frowned upon at all to work with the same supervisor throughout? I would also be approaching other potential supervisors, but I've been at this university since I did my undergraduate and I'm concerned that it'll make me look inflexible by future employers if that makes sense? I do really like the University and its the most convenient for me based on where I live.

I am working with the same supervisor that supervised my MA dissertation, and I know many people (actually the majority of PhD students in my department come to think of it) who have been at my university since their undergrad. If the supervisor and university are the best fit for you, no one can rightly say that you should move on for the sake of it. This is particularly important if your project is niche, and therefore moving would mean working with a supervisor who isn't as au fait with your area.
Original post by oswalds

If you and your supervisor have a good relationship, and you think it would work at a higher level, then I don't see any reason not to pursue it - particularly given that you're happy at the uni etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending