Turn on thread page Beta

The British Foreign Secretary, David Miliband, has gone to the Ukraine, to try to assemble what he's called a coalition against Russian "aggression" in Georgia. Can Western diplomacy bring peace to the region?

The trip comes a day after Russia's formal recognition of the of the breakaway provinces of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Western leaders condemned the move, and Georgia said it amounted to annexation of the two regions. Ukraine's President said the conflict between Georgia and Russia had exposed serious weaknesses in the powers of international bodies.

Fighting between Russia and Georgia began on 7 August after the Georgian military tried to retake its Russian-backed breakaway province of South Ossetia by force. Russia launched a counter-attack. The conflict ended with the ejection of Georgian troops from both South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Can international bodies solve this crisis? What can Western-backed diplomacy achieve in the region? Are you from South Ossetia or Abkhazia? What future do you see for the region? Is Russia heading for isolation?

Read the full story (on the BBC website)

ReputationRep:
    Diplomacy has already prevailed. Russia did what it had to do. South Ossetia and Abkhazia should have been freed years ago. The US and the West are so hypocritical. Why is NATO looking to expand up to Russia's border. It's like enuff is enuff.

Miliband preaches that NATO is not anti-Russian - Please get real. Oh, I think Miliband is so hypocritical. What will he achieve. Nothing.

ReputationRep:
    This is seriously making me hate my government.

Russia was right.

Georgia started a war with a US go-ahead (CIA + 5,000 US troops there, they knew what was going to happen) and got its ass kicked.

This is just manipulation to scare the poles etc into the arms of the US.

Despicable. Time we cooled our relations with these war-pigs.

ReputationRep:
    Diplomacy never really succeeds, it just delays conflict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    This is seriously making me hate my government.

Russia was right.

Georgia started a war with a US go-ahead (CIA + 5,000 US troops there, they knew what was going to happen) and got its ass kicked.

This is just manipulation to scare the poles etc into the arms of the US.
    The US realises that it is no longer 'the world power' and by surrounding Russia with military bases it is trying to flex its muscles. I do not know why the US think Russia would not react to the provoking that it has recieved over the last few weeks!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.