Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually visited Japan, but I've heard from plenty of non-Japanese people who visit that Japan, by Western standards is a notoriously racist country, and it's perfectly acceptable out there. While the Japanese in general are never overtly rude to foreigners, I'm told they don't treat them on equal terms with Japanese. I've spoken to a few British and American people who were looking for jobs in Japan, and spoke reasonable Japanese, yet didn't even have a chance of a job offer due to the fact they weren't Japanese, and he claimed employers were often quite open about the fact, even though he was qualified.

Apparently, the Japanese social structure is based on being in a group, with the Japanese viewing themselves as one big group, and grouping everyone else who isn't Japanese as "gaijin" or foreigner, meaning anyone who is not ethnically Japanese, regardless of citizenship. Even Chinese and Koreans who were born in Japan don't get citizenship, and aren't considered Japanese. I gather there's actually quite a lot of tension between the Koreans in Japan and the Japanese. A lot of the Japanese views on race and immigration woud be racist by Western standards.

I'm told that most Japanese will be fine with casually being friends with a foreigner, but in general, most families would look down on anything more than just friends, and much prefer their children to have relationships and ultimately marry a Japanese person. In general, they are brought up to believe that race and citizenship are one and you can't simply become Japanese, you must be ethnically Japanese to be Japanese.

I have no experience of living in Japan, but I've heard similar things from loads of non-Japanese who live in Japan, and even a few Japanese I've spoken to abroad have backed it up and say that the racist elements of Japanese society are one of the things he doesn't like.

BTW, I'll probably get misinformed idiots accusing me of being a racist, it isn't only white people that can be racist, you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    I've never actually visited Japan, but I've heard from plenty of non-Japanese people who visit that Japan, by Western standards is a notoriously racist country, and it's perfectly acceptable out there. While the Japanese in general are never overtly rude to foreigners, I'm told they don't treat them on equal terms with Japanese. I've spoken to a few British and American people who were looking for jobs in Japan, and spoke reasonable Japanese, yet didn't even have a chance of a job offer due to the fact they weren't Japanese, and he claimed employers were often quite open about the fact, even though he was qualified.

Apparently, the Japanese social structure is based on being in a group, with the Japanese viewing themselves as one big group, and grouping everyone else who isn't Japanese as "gaijin" or foreigner, meaning anyone who is not ethnically Japanese, regardless of citizenship. Even Chinese and Koreans who were born in Japan don't get citizenship, and aren't considered Japanese. I gather there's actually quite a lot of tension between the Koreans in Japan and the Japanese. A lot of the Japanese views on race and immigration woud be racist by Western standards.

I'm told that most Japanese will be fine with casually being friends with a foreigner, but in general, most families would look down on anything more than just friends, and much prefer their children to have relationships and ultimately marry a Japanese person. In general, they are brought up to believe that race and citizenship are one and you can't simply become Japanese, you must be ethnically Japanese to be Japanese.

I have no experience of living in Japan, but I've heard similar things from loads of non-Japanese who live in Japan, and even a few Japanese I've spoken to abroad have backed it up and say that the racist elements of Japanese society are one of the things he doesn't like.

BTW, I'll probably get misinformed idiots accusing me of being a racist, it isn't only white people that can be racist, you know?
    My dads brother is married to a japanese woman and they have a gorgeous little girl and every year he goes to Japan and her family and friends love him.

Don't stereotype, yes there might be some racism but that young guy who has killed the other day in Hastings was a racist attack too, so is the UK a violent racist country???

ReputationRep:
    isn't only white people that can be racist, you know?
    :doh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanempire)
    Don't stereotype, yes there might be some racism but that young guy who has killed the other day in Hastings was a racist attack too, so is the UK a violent racist country???
    Lol, I knew some PC fool was going to bring this up. Firstly, the British media puts any non-white murdered by a white down to racism, yet the other way around rarely is. And even if it was a racist murder, the UK is not a racist country at all. People in the UK are very tolerant of other races and making any racial statements is generally considered unacceptable by most parts of society.

There has been plenty of murders of Koreans and Chinese in Japan, so I guess I can add that to my list to? Japan is also a violent, racist country in many parts of society. It can't be ignored that there is a culture of casual racism in Japan, and some groups are more exposed to this that others. The Koreans have an extremely hard time in Japan. Seriously, the UK held the Japanese views on race and immigration, we'd be put down as an extremely racist country.

International Organisations are concerned about the state of racism in Japan, immigrants are commonly targeted by the media and even by the government as being criminals. There is even a growing problem with Uyoku, some of which can be violent, and are the equivalent of a Nazi group.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is though I cant imagine why a western person would want to go there, Korea or even China. The likes of Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia are infinitely better suited to Europeans, the food is better, the climate is great, the women have better values (and better hookers if required) and you have a fighting chance of reading the road signs. Its a no-brainer surely

ReputationRep:
    There is racism everywhere white, blacks, chinese, japanese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Thing is though I cant imagine why a western person would want to go there, Korea or even China. The likes of Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia are infinitely better suited to Europeans, the food is better, the climate is great, the women have better values (and better hookers if required) and you have a fighting chance of reading the road signs. Its a no-brainer surely
    Sorry what?

:troll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeNextPirate)
    Sorry what?

:troll:
    Pretty basic really. The OP posing a question about Japan and seemed to be under some doubts and I was highlighting the other asian alternatives

ReputationRep:
    Pretty basic really. The OP posing a question about Japan and seemed to be under some doubts and I was highlighting the other asian alternatives
    You basically said that westerners shouldn't go to Japan, which is absolute rubbish. I have been to Japan and have never experienced any kind of racism.

You seem to be very small minded, about 'better suited' and that you can't think of any reason why Europeans would go to Korea China or Japan...

ReputationRep:
    You should check out the videos on youtube made by these guys who have been living there for some time, I really look forward of living there someday.
    rogerswan
    gimmeabreakman
    Tokyosam
    Tokyocooney

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I heard it was really xenophobic over there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxell)
    :eek:
    What?
    You never know when you'll need a better hooker. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It is a bit yer. It seems like it's a more 'polite' racism, so to speak. Not excusing racism if it's 'polite' but in Japan, it seems more invert than overt.
    Still, it is generalising a whole country

ReputationRep:
    There are some xenophobic far-right groups/extremist in Japan (just like in almost any country).

In terms of employment, I wont be suprised if a Japanese of equal ability is hired in preference over a foreigner, because the employer can simply be sure of his own fellow-countryman's habitsand culture therefore deemed him more suitable compared to a foreigner. Again, this happens in almost any major countries so I dont think we should fuss about it that much.

ReputationRep:
    id say "so called ethnic minorities" living in britain are a lot more racist than white people.

Ive got a friend who is indian, and her dad has a go at her for seeing her white friends and her indian friends and family say she is "disrespecting their culture" by having white friends etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~|Shock|~)
    There are some xenophobic far-right groups/extremist in Japan (just like in almost any country).

In terms of employment, I wont be suprised if a Japanese of equal ability is hired in preference over a foreigner, because the employer can simply be sure of his own fellow-countryman's habitsand culture therefore deemed him more suitable compared to a foreigner. Again, this happens in almost any major countries so I dont think we should fuss about it that much.
    Lol, hypocrisy? And yet I'm sure you'd call anyone a racist who was concerned about the amount of Eastern Europeans in British jobs, even some who are unable to speak English adequately? Why is it ok for other countries to look after their own people and their own interests, yet when Britian tries to do it it's considered fascist and racist?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, hypocrisy? And yet I'm sure you'd call anyone a racist who was concerned about the amount of Eastern Europeans in British jobs, even some who are unable to speak English adequately? Why is it ok for other countries to look after their own people and their own interests, yet when Britian tries to do it it's considered fascist and racist?
    Both Japan and Britain has race relations laws which will be politically appeasing towards the ethnic minority (thus the word, political correct) which will sometimes makes the majority feel "discriminated against".

And since when Britain started not to look after their own people and interests?

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually visited Japan, but I've heard from plenty of non-Japanese people who visit that Japan, by Western standards is a notoriously racist country, and it's perfectly acceptable out there.
    Two words for you: Epic fail. And in your first sentence as well. Not a good start.

While the Japanese in general are never overtly rude to foreigners, I'm told they don't treat them on equal terms with Japanese. I've spoken to a few British and American people who were looking for jobs in Japan, and spoke reasonable Japanese, yet didn't even have a chance of a job offer due to the fact they weren't Japanese, and he claimed employers were often quite open about the fact, even though he was qualified.
    What jobs are they applying for? Because some will never hire gaijin for the position. Remember that Japanese visa restrictions only allow us to work in fields that a Japanese person cannot do - and this means we are hired on the basis that we speak English. So its more than likely the discriminatory policies are down to the fact their Japanese is not up to scratch.

Apparently, the Japanese social structure is based on being in a group, with the Japanese viewing themselves as one big group, and grouping everyone else who isn't Japanese as "gaijin" or foreigner, meaning anyone who is not ethnically Japanese, regardless of citizenship.
    Japan is a nation founded on race rather than nationality. Its not a unique concept.

Even Chinese and Koreans who were born in Japan don't get citizenship, and aren't considered Japanese. I gather there's actually quite a lot of tension between the Koreans in Japan and the Japanese. A lot of the Japanese views on race and immigration woud be racist by Western standards.
    Oh boy the Zaitochi. For them I feel for, and its every half-arse American, Brit or Australian prick who wants equal rights in that country that I just want to kick until they reach the Sea of Japan. They don't give two ****s about them, which is amusing considering they have less rights and receive far more racism than any westerner ever does.

I'm told that most Japanese will be fine with casually being friends with a foreigner, but in general, most families would look down on anything more than just friends, and much prefer their children to have relationships and ultimately marry a Japanese person.
    Hmmmm. depends on the family. Ultimately whether they are conservative or not. In some cases, the family would prefer the child to marry a non-Japanese, purely for the fact they won't suffer the inadequacies that exist in some Japanese marriages.

In general, they are brought up to believe that race and citizenship are one and you can't simply become Japanese, you must be ethnically Japanese to be Japanese.
    Anyone who believes differently is stupid. If you can't grasp that, don't even bother coming to Japan.

ReputationRep:
    International Organisations are concerned about the state of racism in Japan, immigrants are commonly targeted by the media and even by the government as being criminals. There is even a growing problem with Uyoku, some of which can be violent, and are the equivalent of a Nazi group.
    What? Growing problem...? If anything national sentiment is declining in Japan and the government wants to controversially reintroduce it into public schools.

And Uyoku Dantai are nothing like the Nazi party. They are just comical. Watch a bit of Torihada Minoru just to see that the wonderful parody. They are so unintentionally funny its untrue.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.