The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Jarve99
If the Japanese are racist in their own country, it is their right. We have no right to judge or even comment.

Lol, typical leftish drivel. Do you think only white people can be racist or something? Yet if an British person stated he was very concerned about the impact foreigners were having on Britian, felt that they were taking British jobs and felt the need to ban them from certain establishments, I'm sure you'd call him a facsist racist. These ideologies are a lot more common in Japan than the UK, so why is it so different when a non-white is racist?
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thing is though I cant imagine why a western person would want to go there, Korea or even China. The likes of Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia are infinitely better suited to Europeans, the food is better, the climate is great, the women have better values (and better hookers if required) and you have a fighting chance of reading the road signs. Its a no-brainer surely

Better hookers in Thailand? Only if you're after a T-girl or visit a blowjob bar. :rolleyes:
sleekchic
you the one who shouldn't be on TSR ignorant idiot.

are you realy that stupid to refute your own argument

how can be you be so stupid as to say that generalizing is not bad.

So if someone believe that all white/black people are racist...that is not bad even if it leads them to treat all white/black people badly because of their generalisation which is unfounded.

So your indian friend's family doesn't like her integrating with white people how does that prove ethnic minorities are more racist than white people

o my god - its like talking to a brick wall.

Everybody generalises - government policies - they generalise - its everywhere - sure there are exceptions to the general rule - but there is still a general rule. Im not saying all fallow this generalisation, im saying the majority do (but you seem to be missing this somewhat - can you please read my posts again before continuing regurgitating the same crap

And for god sake im not saying "all"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im saying that as a whole ethnic minorities in britain are more racist than white people in britain. Lots of people come over ere and dont want to integrate at all - they set up their own little communities and refuse to speak to white people.

Ive formed an opinion from watching the news etc/programs/papers - i have then had a a few friends whose parents have been a bit racist to white people- then i met this new friend from manchester - and her parents are quite racist - im using these to support my argument. whats wrong with this? using example to support opinions.
Reply 43
Back to the original question.
I'm in Japan at the moment for a month, and I haven't experienced any of what I would call Racism. I would, though, describe the Japanese as "curious". I do get quite a lot of staring - as a blonde 6'2" white guy, I'm a bit of a local landmark. Japan is a very single-cultural society, there aren't many non-Japanese living here at all. Consequently, foreigners do stick out a lot. However, there isn't any unkindness in my experience - indeed, people will go out of their way to help me - just intense curiousity because foreigners are indeed, in all senses of the word, foreign. Imagine being in the UK and meeting for the first time in real life someone a different colour from you ; I think that this curiousity is perfectly understandable, if a little overwhelming at first.

On the other hand, I have read a lot about the notions of values and worth in Japan. Since I'm not living here proper, form-filling and so on, I haven't had the opportunity to experience any of the infamous institutional racism. Also, since I'm not Chinese or Korean, I haven't seen anything from that perspective, and undoubtedly a Chinese or Korean who has been to Japan can inform you much better about this.

There is also the Burakumin "caste" - again, I haven't seen this in action, I've only read about this, so I don't think I have a place to comment.

On the whole, I have found that the Japanese are a friendly people who want to know all about where I'm from and who I am. I do feel that they put too much emphasis on where you're from, but I think given 50 years or so, this kind of thing they have about Westerners won't exist - think how much Europe has changed in outlook to Africa/Asia/etc since the 1950s. I hope that, with a more open and enlightened world community, traditional prejudices about Burakumin and foreigners in general will disappear, I'm pretty confident that they will - either Japan modernises, or Japan loses out on everything and gets left behind. No brainer there, but it's a long-term change.
Reply 44
I've lived in Tokyo for the last 5 years and I do understand where you're coming from, especially among conservatives and old people (my grandma doesn't eat garlic cuz garlic = Koreans for her :curious:, and she definitely does not like the way I dress). But like somebody else said, it's a huge, huge generalisation.

What you're talking about probably does exist, but only in the political fields and definitely not on the surface. Some people that have posted make it sound like any foreigner would be glared at or something (some **** about people moving away if you sit next to them on the train - pure bull), when infact people notice, but they don't act on it - they'll act like you're like anybody else. And this happens to me whenever I go to Europe. They look at me but it's not like they make a fuss that I'm Asian.

If anything, I feel like the pop culture of Japan looks up to Western culture. Many singers and models (3 of them from my school :jive:) are becoming successful, in part because they're half, and many clothing styles are becoming westernised. A lot of people want to travel to other countries, and are amused when they hear my story of living abroad and being able to speak English, and maybe even more amused to know I've only ever dated foreigners.. Most of my friends are "gaijin" and their families enjoy and loves Japan, usually more than I do, and it's usually because they consider it extremely safe and that the people, including strangers and store services etc., are so much more friendlier than anywhere else in the world.

There's actually an advantage if you're foreign if for example you want to teach your language. My mom's friend (full Japanese, married to a Spanish man, therefore has a Spanish last name and fluent in the language) put out an ad as a Spanish teacher. She met up with her first student, who immediately quit because she wanted to learn from a Spanish-looking person. My friend, fluent in English, also didn't get hired at a English tutoring school and we think it was probably because he was half Japanese. That's why I've never applied for a job teaching English in Japan.

Just a few examples. But like I said before, I do understand where you're coming from, but it's a big generalisation.

(In response to Nu Ordah, I'm pretty sure a big part of why westerners find it more comfortable in the Philippines and Thailand because everything is much cheaper there than in Japan. I lived in a 3 story house with a maid and a driver in the Philippines - in Japan, I live in a small apartment, where we clean our own rooms :p:.....)
Reply 45
Japan has always loved British culture, they were our brother island nation in the Pacific until they turned into vicious foe during World War Two.
Reply 46
Yay Japan! My experience is a lot more out of date than Y'anami!'s, but I hope it's still valid. I was born in northern Japan and lived mainly in rural rice towns until the age of 7 when my family returned to England (I'm English by parentage, not allowed Japanese citizenship, although if I have a child abroad I think I can make them Japanese if I want, but I'm not sure).

Anyway, are the Japanese racist? Yes, if you call racist a conscious and culturally-acceptable distinction between who is Japanese and who isn't. No, if you call racist a blind hatred of all foreigners (although admittedly the Americans, Koreans and Chinese have a harder time of it than us I think). Generally we were treated with suspicion until they realised we were English not American, which is sad really as we had a lot of brilliant American friends out there.

As a little blond-haired blue-eyed girl Japanese adults would stop in the street and ask my parents about me, give me little gifts and want to look after me like a doll- they had never seen anything like me (it was rural remember :rolleyes: ) but they were completely welcoming. The children however used to pass me in the street and openly point and shout "gaijin" or "americajin-da", laughing because I looked so odd- it's interesting that that experience is something I have never ever forgotten, even though I was so young. So reactions vary, but the truth is that as a foreigner you will be noticed, and treated differently, but this will not always be a negative thing. And to be honest I don't think it's especially unusual around the world either, even here, where we might well ask a foreign person about their background out of interest and curiosity. I wouldn't call it racist but you can if you like I suppose.

But they were keen to learn all about our culture as much as we were to learn about theirs. Mum taught English, cooking and sewing etc and she learnt wreath making, flower-arranging etc. The mayor was incredibly welcoming to us as a family, as was everyone we knew wherever we lived. The language and culture is centred around respectful behaviour, knowing your place, and reserve, and if you get that right then you will be accepted.
Reply 47
eulerwaswrong
o my god - its like talking to a brick wall.

Everybody generalises - government policies - they generalise - its everywhere - sure there are exceptions to the general rule - but there is still a general rule. Im not saying all fallow this generalisation, im saying the majority do (but you seem to be missing this somewhat - can you please read my posts again before continuing regurgitating the same crap

And for god sake im not saying "all"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im saying that as a whole ethnic minorities in britain are more racist than white people in britain. Lots of people come over ere and dont want to integrate at all - they set up their own little communities and refuse to speak to white people.

Ive formed an opinion from watching the news etc/programs/papers - i have then had a a few friends whose parents have been a bit racist to white people- then i met this new friend from manchester - and her parents are quite racist - im using these to support my argument. whats wrong with this? using example to support opinions.

Surely the point is that you were friends with this indian girl. Clearly she was ignoring her parents racism and was quite prepared to talk to and befriend white people. Bearing this in mind, it would seem that that particular ethnic minority member was trying to integrate and would probably teach her own children to integrate and speak to white people.

It seems like rather than look at the fact that this girl wasn't racist, you'd rather feel the victim and act like you are discriminated against. Some white peoples parent's are very racist, this doesn't mean that the children have to carry this on. As generations go on attitudes can change, Indians who were abused thirty years ago may hold a grudge, whereas younger indians may try to intergrate.

I would like to see an end to racism from all races, i would like to see more integration from certain communities, ie i would like to hear an end to x community and y community, instead just the British people. Although there will always be some racism and people that don't want to integrate, hopefully we can just try to reduce their numbers.
To be honest, I have never visited Japan and don't know enough about it to pass judgement on something like that.
Reply 49
I doubt they are anymor racist than we are. I've ever been to Japan, but shall do soon along with China.
Reply 50
Bassoonery
Yay Japan! My experience is a lot more out of date than Y'anami!'s, but I hope it's still valid. I was born in northern Japan and lived mainly in rural rice towns until the age of 7 when my family returned to England (I'm English by parentage, not allowed Japanese citizenship, although if I have a child abroad I think I can make them Japanese if I want, but I'm not sure).

Anyway, are the Japanese racist? Yes, if you call racist a conscious and culturally-acceptable distinction between who is Japanese and who isn't. No, if you call racist a blind hatred of all foreigners (although admittedly the Americans, Koreans and Chinese have a harder time of it than us I think). Generally we were treated with suspicion until they realised we were English not American, which is sad really as we had a lot of brilliant American friends out there.

As a little blond-haired blue-eyed girl Japanese adults would stop in the street and ask my parents about me, give me little gifts and want to look after me like a doll- they had never seen anything like me (it was rural remember :rolleyes: ) but they were completely welcoming. The children however used to pass me in the street and openly point and shout "gaijin" or "americajin-da", laughing because I looked so odd- it's interesting that that experience is something I have never ever forgotten, even though I was so young. So reactions vary, but the truth is that as a foreigner you will be noticed, and treated differently, but this will not always be a negative thing. And to be honest I don't think it's especially unusual around the world either, even here, where we might well ask a foreign person about their background out of interest and curiosity. I wouldn't call it racist but you can if you like I suppose.

But they were keen to learn all about our culture as much as we were to learn about theirs. Mum taught English, cooking and sewing etc and she learnt wreath making, flower-arranging etc. The mayor was incredibly welcoming to us as a family, as was everyone we knew wherever we lived. The language and culture is centred around respectful behaviour, knowing your place, and reserve, and if you get that right then you will be accepted.

Finally, thanks for a balanced reply without all the leftist bigotry people seem to love to spout on here. People on here seem to think that asking a question about a race in a slightly negative light as racist; do people really think only white people can exhibit racist traits? I never actually referred to the Japanese as racist, I just said that if people in Britian started to adopt the Japanese outlook on race, and culture and make a distinction by it, we'd be considered racist. P
Reply 51
CHAMON
I doubt they are anymor racist than we are. I've ever been to Japan, but shall do soon along with China.

Last time I checked there have been no cases of foreigners being banned from shops in Britian, or certain ethnic groups denied citizenship even though they were born and live here.
Reply 52
Yeah, bring on the neg rep. I really don't understand the mind set of some people on here. Even Japanese people I've spoken to agree that there are racist elements of Japanese society and it's ingrained in the culture. The assertion that Britian is a more racist nation than Japan is ridiculous, considering foreigners don't even make up 1% of their population. If the Japanese government suddenly exposed them to the immigration we've been experiencing, they'd riot. We're actually an extremely tolerant nation.
Reply 53
burninginme
Finally, thanks for a balanced reply without all the leftist bigotry people seem to love to spout on here. People on here seem to think that asking a question about a race in a slightly negative light as racist; do people really think only white people can exhibit racist traits? I never actually referred to the Japanese as racist, I just said that if people in Britian started to adopt the Japanese outlook on race, and culture and make a distinction by it, we'd be considered racist. P

Do you prefer the way it is in the UK, or do you feel we should adopt the behaviour of the Japanese? You clearly feel they are racist, how do you feel about this, do you think they should change or that we can learn from them?
Reply 54
burninginme
Last time I checked there have been no cases of foreigners being banned from shops in Britian, or certain ethnic groups denied citizenship even though they were born and live here.

Give me reputable sources for such claims!
Reply 56
George231086
Do you prefer the way it is in the UK, or do you feel we should adopt the behaviour of the Japanese? You clearly feel they are racist, how do you feel about this, do you think they should change or that we can learn from them?

I am happy that the UK is largely a tolerant nation, however, I get the impression that people in the UK are so tolerant, that they only seem to think that being tolerant towards other people and cultures only applies to White British people. The same people on here accusing me of being racist for accusing them of being racist, and saying "omg they're perfectly entitled to do it", and there's "nothing wrong with it", are the same people who would be the first to start screaming racist, if there were similar things going on in the UK perpetrated by White British people towards foreigners.
Reply 57
One Brazilian women gets ejected from a shop, and you state the whole population is racist? Stupid.
Reply 58
CHAMON
One Brazilian women gets ejected from a shop, and you state the whole population is racist? Stupid.

Did you even read the rest of the links? That is one case where the Brazilian women actually sort legal action, there have been plenty of reports of it happening, especially foreigners being banned from bars and being forced to leave. Most foreigners just can't be bothered to sort legal action, and thus these don't make news, but there are a significant number of establishments in Japan which are openly banning foreigners.

And when did I say the WHOLE population was racist? You're putting words in my mouth mate, all I said was that there is a significant amount of racists in the population. And by Japanese culture and standards, these people aren't even racists, yet by British standards they would be, yet people seem to deny that anyone other than White people can actually be racist. I have got time to search the Internet for stories written by foreigners of being kicked out of establishments, but I assure you they exist in quite great number and if you read the links I've give you it should give you a feel for the current racial climate in Japan at the moment.
George231086
Surely the point is that you were friends with this indian girl. Clearly she was ignoring her parents racism and was quite prepared to talk to and befriend white people. Bearing this in mind, it would seem that that particular ethnic minority member was trying to integrate and would probably teach her own children to integrate and speak to white people.

It seems like rather than look at the fact that this girl wasn't racist, you'd rather feel the victim and act like you are discriminated against. Some white peoples parent's are very racist, this doesn't mean that the children have to carry this on. As generations go on attitudes can change, Indians who were abused thirty years ago may hold a grudge, whereas younger indians may try to intergrate.

I would like to see an end to racism from all races, i would like to see more integration from certain communities, ie i would like to hear an end to x community and y community, instead just the British people. Although there will always be some racism and people that don't want to integrate, hopefully we can just try to reduce their numbers.

no no no - im definately not the victim - my friend is - he friends/family/community treat her badly because she has white friends. I dont feel descriminated against - i just feel annoyed that her parents are making her life hell just because shes my friend.

Latest

Trending

Trending