Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey peeps,
    this is probably have been talked over a million times already but I just want to ask for some guidance on these subjects (bcos I know almost nothing about them and I can't found other threads related tot hem), sorry for being such a pain.:p:

Okay, basically, my school is offering "limited" places for people to study GS and CT. Do you guys think it's beneficial to take either?

Although many say no but doing CT helps with the BMAT, so I was thinking, may be take CT for that sake?
    However, is CT like a mixture of english and history? Well, I suck at both subjects and I dont want to take it and end up with a C or something (preferably not a B either) so is it beneficial to take CT?
    And how hard is ti to get an A? And how much do you have to study fo rit?

....And about general studies, it's looked as a useless subject isn't it, so is there any point on taking it?

I apologise for being such a bother and I appreciate any help given, thanks a lot guys.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    neither its a complete waste of time!

ReputationRep:
    If your gonna get an A in them you might as well!
    They don't take up much time its kinda just turn up on the day to the exams!
    Having said that though, southampton uni offers a bursary to engineering students if you get 'all A's in your studies' which because of general studies i'm probably gonna miss out on...

ReputationRep:
    Some universities accept general studies in their offers. Don't know about Critical Thinking, never really heard of it before

ReputationRep:
    depends what you want do at uni, if you're thinking of law, english etc then CT might be a good idea, but if you're doing medicine or a science based subject then i wouldn't bother......CT is not a mix of english and history, although it is helpful for both subjects at A level....it's more to do with arguements and evidence and how to analyse and present them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellowsky)
    However, is CT like a mixture of english and history?
    Not really. In format, the AS papers are more similar to a science A level paper (though it's harder to tell what they're looking for), while the A2 papers are more like the subjects you mention. In terms of skills, there is overlap between both sciences and arts.
    Well, I suck at both subjects and I dont want to take it and end up with a C or something (preferably not a B either) so is it beneficial to take CT?
    And how hard is ti to get an A? And how much do you have to study fo rit?
    Studying isn't that important, but people tend to struggle to do well in it. I was the only person to get an A in it from my school. Someone who did four essay subjects and got As in all of them only got a B in Critical Thinking. I think someone with a scientific mindset is more likely to do well, though if you do it to A2 a reasonable level of literacy is useful.
    ....And about general studies, it's looked as a useless subject isn't it, so is there any point on taking it?
    I don't really know anything about General Studies, but from what I've heard it's pretty much useless.

In your situation, I wouldn't do CT unless someone comes along and says that they found it really useful for the BMAT. I expect it would be useful for that, but I doubt it would be as useful as BMAT specific training.
    (Original post by Helen_J)
    depends what you want do at uni, if you're thinking of law, english etc then CT might be a good idea, but if you're doing medicine or a science based subject then i wouldn't bother
    Why would analysis skills be any less useful in scientific subjects? (Not that most people taking it actually learn much in the way of analysis skills.)

ReputationRep:
    Lol don't bother, enjoy your free periods instead. I got A in gen studies just from general knowledge... CT is harder than GS, however it is more interesting...

ReputationRep:
    apparently critical thinking is the most pointless subject and a huge waste of time. i don't actually think anyone is carrying on with it at A2. i've not even started general studies yet but i know that quite a few unis accept is as one grade including manchester and lancaster

ReputationRep:
    don't bother. have frees instead. i'm beng forced to do general studies. grrrrrr!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaytee.)
    apparently critical thinking is the most pointless subject and a huge waste of time. i don't actually think anyone is carrying on with it at A2. i've not even started general studies yet but i know that quite a few unis accept is as one grade including manchester and lancaster
    who told you this? i did critical thinking AS (would have carried it on but my college only offered AS) and personally enjoyed every lesson....it is not a waste of time particularly if you're doing law (like me so might be biased lol) and i found it helpful with my other subjects at college, especially history

ReputationRep:
    Both are useless, although I would say GS is more worthless than CT and CT is recognised more by universities as far as I'm aware.

That said, hardly any courses would include CT or GS as part of the offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey..well i was in similar situation of not knowing what to pick of the two either...i went for critical thinking as i've heard it's useful for the bmat...well more useful than general studies.

Apparently, some unis will regard CT as a fourth subject whereas GS is completely disregarded at those unis...and also if you're good at science then you might be better at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_J)
    who told you this? i did critical thinking AS (would have carried it on but my college only offered AS) and personally enjoyed every lesson....it is not a waste of time particularly if you're doing law (like me so might be biased lol) and i found it helpful with my other subjects at college, especially history
    most of my friends did critical thinking and said they would have rather spent their time getting work done for other subjects and revising for other exams near to the end of the year. i don't know, some people might find it interesting, i'm just saying that almost everyone i know who's doing it is dropping it at A2

ReputationRep:
    Just to say that if you are looking to do medicine, don't bother with either. Almost every medical school ignores both of them, try and get a gold in Duke of Edingburgh in your free time or something else along those lines

ReputationRep:
    Critical Thinking
    i think you either love it or hate it, as for dropping it for more time we had 2 x 1 1/4 hour lessons a week (at dinnertimes) and no homework, i didn't revise for it just did some practice papers in class and got a B (so nearly an A god dam you scooba Steve!) i didn't find it stopped me getting work done for other subjects and managed 4 A2s at the same time

ReputationRep:
    General Studies is, in my experience, a complete waste of time, and I don't think that it proves anything e.g. my friend got a D on the science and maths paper, and got very high A in maths in A2, and chemistry in AS.
    Critical Thinking is more interesting, I don't know much about the A2 course but I did it at AS and thought could be quite useful for the future just because it introduces new ways of looking at things.

Also, kaytee., I like your sig One of their best lyrics in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, thanks for the help gyus.

Ah, so the CT AS is more science related? And it doesn't hel with BMAT directly? hmmm, the main reason why I kind of want to take CT is the "BMAT helpful" bit, hmmm...
    Gosh, is the A that hard to get? dmn.

Yeah, it might be good to not take any but I kind want to "try" either one..god, i am way too curious.

EDIT:
    just to clarify, so is CT useless for science related things (and medicine)? Even the AS? And don't helpw ith BMAT at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Lost Myself)

Also, kaytee., I like your sig One of their best lyrics in my opinion
    thanks you obviously have great taste in music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellowsky)
    Oh cool, thanks for the help gyus.

Ah, so the CT AS is more science related? And it doesn't hel with BMAT directly? hmmm, the main reason why I kind of want to take CT is the "BMAT helpful" bit, hmmm...
    Gosh, is the A that hard to get? dmn.

Yeah, it might be good to not take any but I kind want to "try" either one..god, i am way too curious.
    Apparantly, CT is supposed to help with the BMAT, but not sure, since I took GS.

Yeah an A is really difficult to get in CT. At my sixth form college, only like a few people got A's, and about 50ish% got U's lol. Anyways, if you want to, you can try.

ReputationRep:
    Critical Thinking was soooo boring. and only the multiple choice section of the second, Arguments, paper helps with BMAT. its basically identical to the multiple choice section in BMAT where you have to identify which is the main conclusion or which is not a intermediate conclusion

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.