The Student Room Group

What was the biggest realization you had about yourself?

I used to always compare myself to successful people my age and it doesn't do me good especially my mental health. I feel pressured to keep up with life's demand. But lately, I realized that success no timeline, I feel pressured to keep up because the society told me so. It was embedded in our mind that at the age of your 20's, you should already have achieve something like this and that. I still feel pressured sometimes but this thought just keeps coming back to my mind and it keeps me on ease. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Not to live on other's expectations.
My life, my remote, I press the buttons.
Reply 2
I hate wasps more than I once thought :s-smilie:
I don't really know. You learn about yourself all the time and all realisations feel important in the moment so I am not sure which one I would consider the 'biggest'.
same omg
that I’m not straight :smile:
That I scare people. It's mostly a front, a defense mechanism.
I consistently greatly underestimate myself
Reply 9
That no matter how much I tried, I hate to be around people. :biggrin:
Original post by arkhip1216
I used to always compare myself to successful people my age and it doesn't do me good especially my mental health. I feel pressured to keep up with life's demand. But lately, I realized that success no timeline, I feel pressured to keep up because the society told me so. It was embedded in our mind that at the age of your 20's, you should already have achieve something like this and that. I still feel pressured sometimes but this thought just keeps coming back to my mind and it keeps me on ease. What do you think?

I know what you feel. Had the same attitude, but ended failing in everything. No good job (often no job at all), mediocre degree, no friends, no relationships.
I guess for me, it's a mixture of a realisation about myself and other people simultaneously. Aged 21, I realised that (a) I hear voices, and (b) that most other people don't. I initially pinpointed that I'd first heard a voice aged 5, but thought there had been a big gap between ages 6-20 where there were no voices. But then when I was in therapy in 2014-15, it dawned on me that I've heard voices nearly every day of my life from at least the age of 8 onwards, if not longer :yes:
Reply 12
That I hate people who spell words like realisation in the American way.
it sounds like a cliche but that I am quite different to the average person and this is why I think I have such trouble in life with people
Original post by The Mogg
That I hate people who spell words like realisation in the American way.

That i'm generally useless
The mind is just an illusion.
You don't have to be perfect
I don't mean this to sound arrogant, (I have many other flaws) but a lot of people view me as vulnerable and 'weak' because I'm too empathetic, kind hearted and want to help others. And that people don't mind using me and exploiting this for their own gain and with no regard to me. I must find a balance between being good and protecting myself.
(edited 3 years ago)
My homophobic self realised im bi.. still havent told a single soul and i dont think i will ever in my life come out. i identify as straight for now, and probably forever

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending