The Student Room Group

Jacqueline Wilson Book Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CloudySkies238
Loved the chocolate box girls series! My favourite one was Skye

I didn't know it was a series at first so I read it in this order: cherry, summer, honey, skye, coco then cookie
my favourite ? tbh that's a hard question to answer but I would have to say Honey probably cause I am the elder sister in the house
Original post by stereotypeasian
I didn't know it was a series at first so I read it in this order: cherry, summer, honey, skye, coco then cookie
my favourite ? tbh that's a hard question to answer but I would have to say Honey probably cause I am the elder sister in the house

I was the same - in primary school I read Cherry then somehow read Summer in like Year 8 then realised it was a series, which meant i was like 15 when I bought cookie and still reading them :biggrin:
I was the same - in primary school I read Cherry then somehow read Summer in like Year 8 then realised it was a series, which meant i was like 15 when I bought cookie and still reading them :biggrin:

I still read the books - love the nostalgia and the simplicity , oh yeah there are thin/average book size so they are lighter than the later half of harry potter lol
so what order did you read it after cherry and summer ??
have u read clover when i was reading it i feel into tears
I still read the books - love the nostalgia and the simplicity , oh yeah there are thin/average book size so they are lighter than the later half of harry potter lol
so what order did you read it after cherry and summer ??

Dont hate me - ive never properly read Harry Potter, i wasnt a massive fan as a child and I think i only read the first one. I read them at the start of lockdown - they are quite fun to read and not very depressing (except Summer, that one is a bit dark) I think I read them in Cherry Summer Honey Coco Cookie and then read Skye - I have read them in order since then
Dont hate me - ive never properly read Harry Potter, i wasnt a massive fan as a child and I think i only read the first one. I read them at the start of lockdown - they are quite fun to read and not very depressing (except Summer, that one is a bit dark) I think I read them in Cherry Summer Honey Coco Cookie and then read Skye - I have read them in order since then

I won't :wink:
.........interesting order

I love the aesthetic of cathy cassidy books and how the titles are pretty much always relate to food/snack/sweets, e.g. ginger snaps

(I don't really read them in order after reading it in order after realising it was a series, I read randomly depending on my mood haha )
I won't :wink:
.........interesting order

I love the aesthetic of cathy cassidy books and how the titles are pretty much always relate to food/snack/sweets, e.g. ginger snaps

(I don't really read them in order after reading it in order after realising it was a series, I read randomly depending on my mood haha

I think i read them in such an odd order because of the covers - I remember going to waterstones and the covers were photos of models that looked like the characters when I had the 'original' designs so i think thats why i read Skye so late.
I loved Ginger Snaps :smile:
I think i read them in such an odd order because of the covers - I remember going to waterstones and the covers were photos of models that looked like the characters when I had the 'original' designs so i think thats why i read Skye so late.
I loved Ginger Snaps :smile:

do you remember the youtube series thing they did with actors in bedrooms about each of the sisters ?
Ginger Snaps was good
do you remember the youtube series thing they did with actors in bedrooms about each of the sisters ?
Ginger Snaps was good

Cathy Cassidy TV yess!! Did you do that competition to be Coco? I was too old to enter and had dark brown hair so that ruled me out :biggrin:
Cathy Cassidy TV yess!! Did you do that competition to be Coco? I was too old to enter and had dark brown hair so that ruled me out :biggrin:

I didn't know that even existed
I would be too old and the only sister I share physical characteristics with is Cherry :cool:

Spoiler

I would be too old and the only sister I share physical characteristics with is Cherry :cool:

Spoiler

:biggrin:
Used to like her when I was 9/10/11 know looking back and reading it her writing is too simple(obs I'm 14),and the girls out late series isnt that real-like the characters dont seem alive.Her one decent book was that one of Prue and mr raxberry lmao forgot what its called

Spoiler

yes i love cathy cassidy and the choco box series
honey and cherry i both love but cherry more i guess
I used ti be obsessed with her books when I was in Primary school and early Secondary school. The one that always stood out for me was "My Sister Jodie", where she falls from the window. There was also the "Girls" series that I loved. I'm pretty certain I remember one about 5 friends who had sleepovers on each others birthdays too. Diamond Girls, Kiss and the one about the girl with the famous Dad was good as well.

There's also one that I remember about two girls who were best friends and one was really rebellious, and their parents tried to keep them apart.

After reading Jacqueline Wilson books, I also read the Mates, Dates books by Cathy Hopkins, and I was also obsessesed with The Chocolate Box Girls series by Cathy Cassidy, and even got the book Coco Caramel signed by her, and my sister got the Daisy Star one signed
(edited 3 years ago)
I think reading her books made me more sympathetic and understanding towards other people's situations from a young age.
Original post by Melirose
For some reason almost every girl has had a Jacqueline Wilson obsession in their childhood, I know I definitely did! This is just a thread where we can discuss her books and her characters and their chaotic lives. I wouldn't say this is necessarily all just criticism of her books - I think they have merit in that they did bring up some quite serious and relevant issues and managed to do that in children's books. Any criticism I am making is really just in a joking way and you can post on here regardless of whether you like her books or not.

My thoughts on her books are that they were interesting and did engage me when I was younger. They were full of drama (I can't speak on whether they portrayed issues sensitively or not because I don't know) and I kept wanting to read more and more. However, I will say that they were quite formulaic. Some of the characters and plots were very similar. I know she did write over 100 books so it's probably inevitable but it did get to a point for me where I realised that a lot of her books recycled bits from earlier stories.

So, what do you think about her books? Are there any books or characters or moments that you particularly remember?

How are the plots formulaic? tbh it's been ages since I read them but I loved them as a kid and was too young to care about things like formula. The characters were vivid and interesting.
Original post by rxyaltyx
i love all of those!
i was so obsessed when i was younger
my favourite series was the one with Ellie, nadine and magda

I loved that series too. The part where Ellie tried to go on a diet always got to me.
Original post by Chocolatecakexx
Used to like her when I was 9/10/11 know looking back and reading it her writing is too simple(obs I'm 14),and the girls out late series isnt that real-like the characters dont seem alive.Her one decent book was that one of Prue and mr raxberry lmao forgot what its called

well they seem too simple NOW but at that age, we were all pretty simple and needed something like jacqueline wilson. they wouldn't be called children's books if they were complex...
Used to be obsessed with Jacqueline Wilson - absolute queen of children's fiction!! 💅👑 💕
Original post by leopard202
Midnight is one of my favourite childhood books it was so magical!

I loved her books and read most of them. think her themes were so similar as they were shaped by her own childhood. Looking back I feel some of them were quite disturbing / controversial for young readers, but as an isolated child they definitely opened my eyes to friend/guy problems people go through and divorces etc. Felt like I was going through them too.

I respect Jackie Wilson for opening children's eyes to these problems. And for kids who actually had these problems too (I for one could certainly relate to the suitcase kid) it actually meant a great deal to be reading about characters who were relatable

the only thing i feel (and wish) jacqueline could've covered was a book on race.
I always liked Love Letters even though the plot was actually quite f*****ed up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending