Transferring from one med school to another Watch

CogitoErgoSum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm posting this on behalf of my brother- he's currently doing a 4yr med course in Poland at Poznan university- hes about to start his 3rd yr. hes in poland because he wasnt able to get a place on a med course in the UK. I'm wondering whether there's any chance he can transfer to the UK and do his last 2 yrs here? anyone had an experience with this?

thanks
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i've heard of some transfers being allowed between similar courses within the UK (though not easy or frequent) but have heard of no transfers between countries, sorry i can't be of more help. He'd need to talk to his current medical school and whichever he's interested in transferring to and see what they say really.
CogitoErgoSum
Rep:
?
(Original post by kate0904)
i've heard of some transfers being allowed between similar courses within the UK (though not easy or frequent) but have heard of no transfers between countries, sorry i can't be of more help. He'd need to talk to his current medical school and whichever he's interested in transferring to and see what they say really.
thanks for your input, i just wanted any info anyone could provide and knowing its gonna be hard is useful in itself! we've started emailing some uk unis to see what they say about it!
AnonymousPenguin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Very (and I mean very very) unlikely.

He can apply for a FY1 post though.
CogitoErgoSum
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
Very (and I mean very very) unlikely.

He can apply for a FY1 post though.
i just looked up FY1 and seems my Google-Fu isnt up to scratch today- what is it?

thanks for replying!
Rhys.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CogitoErgoSum)
i just looked up FY1 and seems my Google-Fu isnt up to scratch today- what is it?

thanks for replying!
I'm no medical student, but Foundation Year 1. After your five years at medical school you do two foundation years, working in different areas of medicine.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CogitoErgoSum)
I'm posting this on behalf of my brother- he's currently doing a 4yr med course in Poland at Poznan university- hes about to start his 3rd yr. hes in poland because he wasnt able to get a place on a med course in the UK. I'm wondering whether there's any chance he can transfer to the UK and do his last 2 yrs here? anyone had an experience with this?

thanks
One would hope not. Perhaps an FY1 post, but thats only if polish medical degrees are up to par.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
One would hope not. Perhaps an FY1 post, but thats only if polish medical degrees are up to par.
I was fairly certain that as an EC medical degree is is, by definition, up to par regardless of how good it is.
Jamie
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
I was fairly certain that as an EC medical degree is is, by definition, up to par regardless of how good it is.
So they would have you believe. And at a national level they 'are'. So the local hospitals are forced to cheekily refuse people from certain countries by other means.

The medical degrees from certain countries aren't worth ****.

Others are of dubious quality under our system. Take germany/austria. Great doctors, but to do a medical degree there you do very little clinical work.

However its principly the eastern bloc countries and greece that are the discriminated countries - and rightly so, because the teaching is lacking, and the 'quality assurance' even more so.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We (BL) do not accept non-UK med school transfers, and I'm not sure anyone else would either as his course to date will not be GMC vetted.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/faqs/#15
fairy spangles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you recon you can do it after you have just been kicked out of one??
Hygeia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'd be very surprised if any med school would let someone in if they've been kicked out from another one. suppose it could depend on the reason they were kicked out but don't see it making a huge difference
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know Georges GEP took on a medical student who failed their 5 year course, then applied a few years later as a mature student and got in.

UCL specifically state that they will not accept students who have previously not-completed a medical course elsewhere, and we don't accept transfers from other UK medical schools or foreign medical schools.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Transfers from Other Medical Degree Courses
Transfers will be considered from EU medical schools approved by the General Medical Council, on an individual basis. Transfers are only considered in exceptional circumstances and it is highly unusual for transfers to be approved. We do not consider applicants who have failed examinations at other Medical Schools.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ms/unde...quirements.htm

That's the only place I've heard what does it.
fairy spangles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
I know Georges GEP took on a medical student who failed their 5 year course, then applied a few years later as a mature student and got in.

UCL specifically state that they will not accept students who have previously not-completed a medical course elsewhere, and we don't accept transfers from other UK medical schools or foreign medical schools.

Well we will have to see how filling out paperwork and begging like crazy goes first. If all else failed im going to become a professional hobo.
theatrical
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exactly the same for Manchester, save for allowing clinical transfers from St Andrews - but that's a long-standing agreement between the universities.
Jamie
Report 10 years ago

Yes you do.
Cambridge, oxford, and other london medical schools. (the latter is very rare because why would you swap from one london med school to another?)
Jamie
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ms/unde...quirements.htm

That's the only place I've heard what does it.
Nuff said really...
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
Yes you do.
Cambridge, oxford, and other london medical schools. (the latter is very rare because why would you swap from one london med school to another?)
Don't be such a pedant. I didn't include that because it's a special case and the system is not accessible to outsiders.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?