Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Sorry if this sounds a bit gruesome) Anyone got any advice what's best to do with it?
    I put a plaster on initially, but didn't want it to stick, so took it off last night and have left it open since in the hope that it will harden up a bit. It is still weeping though (nearly 24 hours later), and so not sure whether I ought to cover it? I just really don't want anything to stick to it!

I'm trying to keep it clean, although unfortunately I was surfing when I bashed it off, so I think it's got a tiny bit of sand in it which I couldn't get out.

Does anyone know roughly how long it will take to harden up a bit/dry up so that I can wear socks and shoes comfortably? Also how long will it take for the nail to grow back? A quick google search seems to suggest many months, although most of the information there is about nails that have fallen off through bruising (eg. from lots of running) or fungi.

ReputationRep:
    The whole nail? All of it?

eesh :s: Go see a doctor, get some anti-biotics and proper dressings to stop infection. They'll wash it properly as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)
    The whole nail? All of it?

eesh :s: I'd go see a doctor, get some anti-biotics and proper dressings to stop infection.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I've had both of my big toenails removed(problems with flat feet and doing lots of running). Whilst mine will never grow back they still haven't healed after 7 weeks but I reckon this is down to the acid burning of the nailbed, which obviously you haven't had.

It's advisable for you to get some anti-biotic cover(topical is best) while it is still wet. See you doctor for this.

Salt baths with a bit of Savlon in will help the healing and help prevent infection.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely see the doctor about it to stop it getting infected! Which toe was it? I walked into a door a few years ago and bashed the toe next to my big toe. The nail went like black and I kept a plaster over it. About 3 or 4 weeks after bashing it the black nail fell of and a new one had completely grown back underneath. But if it's your big toe it will take longer

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, go and see a doctor. You don't want an infection, do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sick Puppy)
    Definitely see the doctor about it to stop it getting infected! Which toe was it? I walked into a door a few years ago and bashed the toe next to my big toe. The nail went like black and I kept a plaster over it. About 3 or 4 weeks after bashing it the black nail fell of and a new one had completely grown back underneath. But if it's your big toe it will take longer
    Unfortunately it was my big toe...
    I was afraid everyone would tell me to go to a doctor. I think I'm being a wimp because I don't want to go, I don't want anyone to touch it. Also I have the slight problem of getting to the doctors as driving is a little uncomfy (it's my left foot, and my clutch is really hard to push!), my mum doesn't drive and public transport is non existant here. Don't tell me, I know I'm putting it off... I never see a doctor, I always just let things heal by themself - though I'm guessing that may not be wise for a toenail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisgs)
    I was afraid everyone would tell me to go to a doctor. I think I'm being a wimp because I don't want to go, I don't want anyone to touch it. Also I have the slight problem of getting to the doctors as driving is a little uncomfy (it's my left foot, and my clutch is really hard to push!), my mum doesn't drive and public transport is non existant here. Don't tell me, I know I'm putting it off... I never see a doctor, I always just let things heal by themself - though I'm guessing that may not be wise for a toenail.
    I know driving would be uncomfortable but your foot would be a whole lot more uncomfortable if it gets infected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisgs)
    You may not want to, but you really, really need to see a doctor. Have you got a friend who can drive you there or something? If you really have difficulty then get a taxi or something.

Believe me, you do NOT want to leave it as it is. You need to get it cleaned and dressed properly, and you need anti-biotics, especially if you've got sand in it, otherwise it will get infected.

It's not pleasant, but it'll heal better and save you a lot of pain and stress if you get it over with :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Just tried to phone the health centre, but they're shut (for lunch I'm guessing), so I'll try again in a few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Am going to see a nurse to get it properly dressed later this afternoon. Really don't want to, it's stopped hurting now, but I know I should get it cleaned

ReputationRep:
    Good for you :^_^: It really won't be that bad, and it's best to get it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Hope it was alright, same thing happened to me and as previously said, salt water foot baths and wearing open toe sandals.

Also, pics please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibrahim.Salha)
    Hope it was alright, same thing happened to me and as previously said, salt water foot baths and wearing open toe sandals.

Also, pics please.
    You really don't want pics! In fact I don't think I could stand seeing a picture as well as the real thing. It actually doesn't hurt at all at the moment, but just thinking about trying to remove the dressing which has well and truly stuck makes me cringe.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I remember doing this when I fell once.

I ended up in a first aid room, nothing more. I wouldnt bother with the doctors unless it looks infected etc

Just dress it up, and wait 3 months for it to grow back properly thats all you can do

ReputationRep:
    my big toe nail once came off...bascially i bruised it really badly when i played football (i wore shoes that were too small for me, not a good idea)
    anyway the toe nail went a weird colour and just fell off. i new one was already beginning to grow back underneath it.
    i had no pain what so ever btw.
    nice eh :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.