DemonicSigma
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello Everyone! I am new to this chat!

I have applied for a number of universities in the UK to do my PhDs and I have not received any answer from them in quite a long while! Its been I think 3 months since I made those applications and no answer! At least a refusal message, but I haven't received nothing at all! I was wondering if it is because of the Corona-virus maybe? Can any of you share your opinions with me please? Thank you very much!

Kind Regards,
Sebastian
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DemonicSigma)

I have applied for a number of universities in the UK to do my PhDs and I have not received any answer from them in quite a long while! Its been I think 3 months since I made those applications and no answer! At least a refusal message, but I haven't received nothing at all! I was wondering if it is because of the Corona-virus maybe? Can any of you share your opinions with me please? Thank you very much!

Kind Regards,
Sebastian
Had you spoken to any of the Supervisors before about your application and the process?

Have you chesed up the universities in question to see if they have a revised schedule?

Which Unis? What subject area? Did the mention a deadline date?

If you don't give us anything more to go on that 'Corona-virus maybe?' then yes, maybe.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Kind Regards,
Sebastian
You can email admissions and ask for an update.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Kind Regards,
Sebastian
As threeportdrift says, did you contact the supervisors before you started the application? Do they know to expect an application from you?

Three months is quite a while to go without any communication, so contact postgraduate admissions to chase them up.
chaotic1328
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
First, despite some of the answers here, not all universities expect potential PhD students to contact supervisors before submitting applications. Durham and Glasgow, for example, do not require prior contact with potential supervisors when considering applications (I know this from personal experience of applying to Glasgow, and from a friend who had applied to Durham). That said, it is nevertheless good to contact potential supervisors just to make sure you are on similar wave lengths about your research.

Second, some universities are really strange, one Northern based RG uni, for example, did not reply to my application for 4 months. When I checked with admissions, I was told that it was 'under consideration' with no more details given. I withdrew my application after I received the (non) reply, as 4 months is long enough for them to either reject or accept me. The case with a Midlands based RG uni was even stranger. The potential supervisor was initially very interested in the research proposal, and after what I had felt to be a fair skype interview, said that he would get back to me with a decision within two weeks. What I had was 4 months of total silence, neither a rejection nor an offer letter. I chased them after 4 weeks when I had no news, and after getting the same non-reply as Northern RG uni, I gave them up as a bad job. Then out of the blue, another academic telephoned me 3 months later wanting to talk about my application and inviting me to an interview, and was surprised when I told them that I already had an interview 4 months prior with another academic from the same department. Anyway, I told them that I was no longer interested in pursuing a PhD at their institution.

Moral of story: Some universities and/or academics are very strange, and seemingly lack basic social etiquette. Whether it is worth pursuing the matter further with these institutions is entirely your decision. Personally, I would have serious doubts about working under such institutions/people for the best part of 4 years. It might be worthwhile for you to consider other universities at this stage.

Good luck in your quest for the floppy hat.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chaotic1328)
First, despite some of the answers here, not all universities expect potential PhD students to contact supervisors before submitting applications. Durham and Glasgow, for example, do not require prior contact with potential supervisors when considering applications (I know this from personal experience of applying to Glasgow, and from a friend who had applied to Durham). That said, it is nevertheless good to contact potential supervisors just to make sure you are on similar wave lengths about your research.

Second, some universities are really strange, one Northern based RG uni, for example, did not reply to my application for 4 months. When I checked with admissions, I was told that it was 'under consideration' with no more details given. I withdrew my application after I received the (non) reply, as 4 months is long enough for them to either reject or accept me. The case with a Midlands based RG uni was even stranger. The potential supervisor was initially very interested in the research proposal, and after what I had felt to be a fair skype interview, said that he would get back to me with a decision within two weeks. What I had was 4 months of total silence, neither a rejection nor an offer letter. I chased them after 4 weeks when I had no news, and after getting the same non-reply as Northern RG uni, I gave them up as a bad job. Then out of the blue, another academic telephoned me 3 months later wanting to talk about my application and inviting me to an interview, and was surprised when I told them that I already had an interview 4 months prior with another academic from the same department. Anyway, I told them that I was no longer interested in pursuing a PhD at their institution.

Moral of story: Some universities and/or academics are very strange, and seemingly lack basic social etiquette. Whether it is worth pursuing the matter further with these institutions is entirely your decision. Personally, I would have serious doubts about working under such institutions/people for the best part of 4 years. It might be worthwhile for you to consider other universities at this stage.

Good luck in your quest for the floppy hat.
TBH with respect, I think the moral of your story is should definitely be in contact with the potential supervisors prior to applying.

Had you been in contact and discussed your proposal, the interview to offer probably would have been far less drawn out and the supervisor could just go through the required steps without delay.

Academics are often busy especially leading researchers. If they have research proposals, undergrad marking, industry meetings current PhDs & post-docs. If the applicant has never introduced themselves to the academic i can easily see them putting it at the bottom of their priorities.

Would it be better if academics got back in a responsive time frame, yes; but with everything going on in the world it could have easily slipped by the wayside not due to malice or lack of social etiquette but simply it got drowned by things of greater priority (had OP been in contact I suspect they would get a faster response).
chaotic1328
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
TBH with respect, I think the moral of your story is should definitely be in contact with the potential supervisors prior to applying.

Had you been in contact and discussed your proposal, the interview to offer probably would have been far less drawn out and the supervisor could just go through the required steps without delay.

Academics are often busy especially leading researchers. If they have research proposals, undergrad marking, industry meetings current PhDs & post-docs. If the applicant has never introduced themselves to the academic i can easily see them putting it at the bottom of their priorities.

Would it be better if academics got back in a responsive time frame, yes; but with everything going on in the world it could have easily slipped by the wayside not due to malice or lack of social etiquette but simply it got drowned by things of greater priority (had OP been in contact I suspect they would get a faster response).
With total respect, and to be honest, I think you should take up a course in English reading comprehension, as I had made it clear that I did contact the potential supervisor of the Midlands based RG uni, who as I said, was initially very interested in my research proposal, invited me for an interview on skype, and then promptly disappeared after promising to get back to me within 2 weeks. I can understand that I might have not impressed the supervisor during the interview despite my feeling that it went relatively well. In which case, a rejection would have been far preferable to total silence, wouldn't you say? Four months later, another academic from the same department invited me for an interview out of the blue, not even aware that I already had an interview, which would suggest that the first academic never even passed on the information of my interview to the department. However busy the person may have been, are you seriously suggesting that this is acceptable behaviour, ?

In the case of the Northern based RG uni, I contacted the potential supervisors, and only made a formal application after they had expressed an interest in my proposal and recommended that I do so. After 4 months of silence and a non-reply from PGR admissions, I withdrew the application. In this case, I had not made clear that I had contacted the potential supervisors, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt in your reading comprehension. Again, would you say that this institution acted in an acceptable way?

Covid 19 cannot be blamed for these lack of social manners, as these incidents happened in early to mid 2018.

Both Durham and Glasgow do not require prior contact with potential supervisors, as its the PGR admissions that make the decisions rather than individual academics, or so I am told. I nevertheless contacted the potential supervisors from these institutions. I can't say very much about Durham as I never applied due to not being on the same wave length as the potential supervisor, but PGR admissions at Glasgow got back to me within 4 weeks after my application with an unconditional offer. I then contacted the potential supervisor requesting another meeting, as I wanted to make sure that I can work with the person who will form an important part of my life for the next 3-4 years before making my decision. I really wanted to accept as I was impressed by both the supervisor and the university, but the wife put her foot down due to the distance involved. Leeds (which is where I am now) and Newcastle also got back to me within 4 weeks with decisions (within a week in the case of Newcastle, but I did do my MA there, so they know me already). I would humbly suggest that this should be the standard that all institutions/academics should be held to when dealing with applicants. It does not matter if it's a rejection of an offer, but the decisions should be made within the time frame they had promised, or at least keep us informed as to reasons why if they fail to keep to schedule. They might all be very busy with a lot on their plates etc, but us poor plebs also have lives, and need to make plans which depend on their decisions. They should not needlessly mess with our lives. Is that really too much to ask for?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (197)
38.93%
Take autumn exams (153)
30.24%
Look for a job (17)
3.36%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.15%
Take a year out (88)
17.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.93%

Watched Threads