GCSE Maths - How on earth do you revise?

Watch
notokay
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I've been slacking off during quarantine (big regret) and I'm getting pretty desperate on how to start grinding during summer to catch up and make sure I know everything ready for year 11 in Sep. For context, I've recently started to use the freesciencelessons videos for science revision to make notes ontop of doing worksheets, which has been going ok. Are there any similar resources like this for maths?
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by notokay)
I've been slacking off during quarantine (big regret) and I'm getting pretty desperate on how to start grinding during summer to catch up and make sure I know everything ready for year 11 in Sep. For context, I've recently started to use the freesciencelessons videos for science revision to make notes ontop of doing worksheets, which has been going ok. Are there any similar resources like this for maths?
Do past papers and you'll be fine.
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Past papers

If you find there's any topics you really struggle on - go through some example questions and then use a website like 'physics and maths tutor' to practice loads of those questions
username5308830
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
past papersss! but if you’re interested more into the youtube/ video aspects i’m fairly certain hegartymaths does some sort of thing on YouTube if you don’t have a subscription to the site
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Corbett maths or MathsMadeEasy are good, videos and practise questions but past papers are very important for revision after you have grasped most of the content
isobeln
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
science- use physicsandmathstutor.com or its something like that, use seneca and bbc bitesize
maths- if your school has access to any of the following use that: my maths or hegarty. I have a general login for mymaths which i can send to you if you want? it might help. Use corbett maths and seneca again and bitesize is amazing
language(s)- do translations and exercises from your textbook, do specific grammar exercises on languagesonline.org.uk or just general work there, make sets of flashcards on quizlet/memrise (would recommend memrise for languages) and do mini tests on them regularly.
generally if school gives you *any* resources for a subject use them. I have loads of past papers, revision questions for almost all subjects so pm me which boards you do for which subjects and I can help you out. Hope this helps x
Rorty
Badges: 10
Report 6 months ago
Complete a past paper > mark it accurately > revise areas you failed > do another past paper

Repeat the above until you are routinely achieving at or above your target grade. There really isn't much to learn for GCSE so if you have any aptitude for maths this should not take too long.
thepolishguy04
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi.
It really depends on the exam board you are using, too. For Maths, I would watch YouTube vids, but I can't really give helpful advice as I do not need help at Maths because of the annoying homework we get at school that is online. Some channels that might help are Primrose Kitten, she does both Science and Maths, which is really helpful. If you need any more help, this chat thread may give you some useful info https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4115959

For Science, freesciencelessons is fine, but what I find is that he tends to do very brief lessons that don't cover the whole content. Dependent really whether you do Triple or Combined, some may find it useful, some may not. Science channels I find helpful include:
- Science with Hazel. She does these cool 2.5 hr exam paper content summary videos, very useful, she also does Maths. Link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMd...ONtCG-zPaWigog
- For some content, I find Cognito very helpful, because he goes through a lot step by step, very useful. Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaG...rjou9kQx6ezG2w
- As I have said already, Primrose Kitten is AWESOME. She goes through a lot with a lot of detail, and does the same with the summaries of exam paper content, as Science with Hazel does. However, she also supplies us with free downloads of past paper questions. Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBg...R4QIK2e0EfJwaA

My advice to you is find past papers, no Internet resources will help to the extent to what the past papers will help, due to the fact that past papers give you an overall idea of what will be expected from you.

Sorry for offering you a very long read, I hope I helped not only you, but all the others who are reading this, too!

Have a good summer break, start revising!
Thanks for your attention

s.hazard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I was predicted and getting 5/6 but once I started doing loads of practise questions I managed to secure an 8 on the real thing!
thesun123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
dr frost maths help a bit
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
theres no point making notes for maths or anything, just make a few flashcards for the equations you need to remember.
Do past papers and when you get a question wrong take it to your teacher or any other maths teachers who will help you understand where you went wrong (if the mark scheme doesnt make sense)
Good luck
alicewantsana
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
use dr frost!
Merit123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
GCSE Maths- The youtube channel ' The GCSE Maths Tutor' is really helpful. This channel goes through everything needed to know in the course and past paper run-throughs. Focus on the things you find difficult in-depth as well!
Marz2003
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Mathsgenie, Physicsandmathtutor, snap revise, examsolutions, savemyexams, mathswatch (pm me to get it for free)
Kk1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
by solving past papers and the exercises in the book.
You'll be able to do when you've understood the concepts!
Shadbury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You’re doing great using freesciencelessons videos, literally just memorise every single one of them in note form practically word for word and you’re set for an 8/9.

Maths personally I learned all the content by binging mathswatch, however different people use different sources like hegarty or mathsgenie. Binge a whole spec’s worth of videos, do the topic exam questions on mathsgenie then do all the past papers on mathsgenie too.

Do all this asap and throughout year 11 you’ll literally just be doing different maths papers from like a really old spec or different exam boards throughout the years. Personally as I’d done all the edexcel gcse maths papers I started doing IGCSE ones and would do a couple pages of the cgp grade 8/9 workbook every lesson, it almost became like a free lesson to relax and challenge yourself in a fun way.

Hope this helps!
Kph25
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I've been slacking off during quarantine (big regret) and I'm getting pretty desperate on how to start grinding during summer to catch up and make sure I know everything ready for year 11 in Sep. For context, I've recently started to use the freesciencelessons videos for science revision to make notes ontop of doing worksheets, which has been going ok. Are there any similar resources like this for maths
Okay I got a 9 in maths so I hope I can help. I basically didn’t start revising maths until jan of my exam year. I used a textbook (CGP) the dark Maroon one and just went through ALL of the examples and topic explanations and then attempted one or two questions from the exercises. This worked for me. Good luck x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (251)
57.44%
I don't have everything I need (186)
42.56%

Watched Threads