rachel7423
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I want to go to Oxford to study fine art, and they require AAA. I am doing art and psychology at a level and I signed up for English lit but I'm dreading it. I just can't imagine myself enjoying it or doing as well- besides, I only picked it because I was good at GCSE. The English language spec seems really interesting, so I am tempted to switch over... will this affect my chances in any way or won't they care?
CeeJayW
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm not an expert by any means but I don't think it should have too much of an impact. English literature isn't a requirement to study fine art (i'm assuming)- the only reason English lit might be better is that it's a facilitating subject, although it would be much better for you to get high grades in your subjects which you're more likely to do if you enjoy them, than to do one you don't like.
English language should be okay, especially if you enjoy it!
robertgallacher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
English Literature is a facilitating subject, so it will likely be viewed more preferably, but if will not be the sole decider in your choice.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It’s actually not such a bad strategy to choose your best subjects from gcse, and repeat them for A, especially if you are trying Oxford. You might even consider having extra-school tuition as well.

Lang or Lit? Choose whichever you can sustain for the next two years, check your syllabus carefully, see which subject might be easier to get extra teaching-in, see which books/poems you are expected to read/criticise etc for the courses - can you cope with them?

For example, if your book list includes R&J, you could easily cope, but Anthony&Cleo requires to compare the dichotomy between 'Christian values' and 'Roman values', probably!

It’s good to think now, in my experience Cambridge requires just their usual 99% passes in 5 A-levels, whilst Oxford would just let you in with a passion for art, and 85% passes in 3 A-levels, probably.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads