What's the Best Discount(s) Youve Gotten On Games?

Watch
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
recently I decided to download steam after getting something a few years ago but never getting around to installing it.

To my surprise, a $15 bundle I paid (~£12) ages ago was still valid. this was as part of a charity discount rockstar games was doing for the rainforest alliance. for $15, I got GTA3, vice city, san andreas, GTA4 & episodes from liberty city (it is now the complete edition as steam had to merge them), max payne1,2,3 (including dlc for 3), LA Noire &DLC, manhunt, bully complete edition. whilst I doubt i will play manhunt and max payne, the others are games I enjoyed or in the case of la noire, want to try.

Also got persona 5 ultimate edition in 2018 for £21 (RRp was £84) from playstation store.

So yeah, what's the best discounts you've gotten on games?
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Until around 2011, Steam sales would go to about 90% off and you'd be getting AAA games for £2.

Although nowadays Steam sales are a shadow of their former selves, instead we're getting games completely free. There are also bundles - the recent itch.io Racial Justice Bundle was 1,700 games for $5.

Then you have the Xbox / PC / Ultimate game pass, which gives you a deluge of free games for just £1 for the first month. If you already have Gold, then the entire length remaining gets upgraded to Game Pass + 1 month bonus. This is all without considering that you can get any month free if you use Microsoft Rewards.

Since you're new to it, I should warn you not to get sucked in. Games will always be on sale (to the point no one pays full prices and 50% off is the bare minimum, while 75% off is expected) and there are now tens or hundreds of thousands of games. Only buy what you were already interested in, NEVER buy because of the price. Don't redeem every free game either. We're getting free games weekly now, so just redeem what you're actually interested in. Otherwise you'll end up with a 'backlog' and spend 4 figures on stuff you'll never get round to playing.

To answer your question... well you see above that games don't only end up cheap, but often free, so it's hard to say. Also excluding the £1 Game Pass and itchio 1,700-game bundle... I'll just say a recent one: I got Assassin's Creed Origins + all the DLC for £6.50 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey for £7 in the Epic store.
Last edited by ozzyoscy; 3 weeks ago
MrSandyWilly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Rainbow Six for £2.79
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Until around 2011, Steam sales would go to about 90% off and you'd be getting AAA games for £2.

Although nowadays Steam sales are a shadow of their former selves, instead we're getting games completely free. There are also bundles - the recent itch.io Racial Justice Bundle was 1,700 games for $5.

Then you have the Xbox / PC / Ultimate game pass, which gives you a deluge of free games for just £1 for the first month. If you already have Gold, then the entire length remaining gets upgraded to Game Pass + 1 month bonus. This is all without considering that you can get any month free if you use Microsoft Rewards.

Since you're new to it, I should warn you not to get sucked in. Games will always be on sale (to the point no one pays full prices and 50% off is the bare minimum, while 75% off is expected) and there are now tens or hundreds of thousands of games. Only buy what you were already interested in, NEVER buy because of the price. Don't redeem every free game either. We're getting free games weekly now, so just redeem what you're actually interested in. Otherwise you'll end up with a 'backlog' and spend 4 figures on stuff you'll never get round to playing.

To answer your question... well you see above that games don't only end up cheap, but often free, so it's hard to say. Also excluding the £1 Game Pass and itchio 1,700-game bundle... I'll just say a recent one: I got Assassin's Creed Origins + all the DLC for £6.50 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey for £7 in the Epic store.
im not new to discount gaming, im 1 of the 1st people in the UK to get a psn account way back in 2007 and dont really enjoy PC gaming (only reason I got the bundle in Jan 2018 is because I felt like donating for charity and that was a decent excuse to get LA noire for much less than it was selling 2nd hand on ps4).
personally I have a system where I get PS4 games I want, try completing it asap, then return (if within the cooling period) or sell it for 90%-100% what I paid for it (strictly speaking, the only games I own for PS4 are gta 5, free ps plus games I have downloaded over the years and bunch of freemium games which I have sufficiently grinded).
Last edited by quasa; 3 weeks ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
recently I decided to download steam after getting something a few years ago but never getting around to installing it.

To my surprise, a $15 bundle I paid (~£12) ages ago was still valid. this was as part of a charity discount rockstar games was doing for the rainforest alliance. for $15, I got GTA3, vice city, san andreas, GTA4 & episodes from liberty city (it is now the complete edition as steam had to merge them), max payne1,2,3 (including dlc for 3), LA Noire &DLC, manhunt, bully complete edition. whilst I doubt i will play manhunt and max payne, the others are games I enjoyed or in the case of la noire, want to try.

Also got persona 5 ultimate edition in 2018 for £21 (RRp was £84) from playstation store.

So yeah, what's the best discounts you've gotten on games?
I bought gran turismo sport for £15 off ebay new sealed about a month after release.

Back in the day in like 2009-2012 Sainsbury used to do a deal 35% off new game releases like fifa/COD if you spent £50 in store. Everyone at school used to get them on their mums weekly shop. But you had to get their early as each store only had limited numbers of each disk.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
im not new to discount gaming, im 1 of the 1st people in the UK to get a psn account way back in 2007 and dont really enjoy PC gaming (only reason I got the bundle in Jan 2018 is because I felt like donating for charity and that was a decent excuse to get LA noire for much less than it was selling 2nd hand on ps4).
personally I have a system where I get PS4 games I want, try completing it asap, then return (if within the cooling period) or sell it for 90%-100% what I paid for it (strictly speaking, the only games I own for PS4 are gta 5, free ps plus games I have downloaded over the years and bunch of freemium games which I have sufficiently grinded).
PSN account doesn't matter when talking about discounts, it's PC where the discounts are. PC games effectively have no value now. PS Plus games aren't free either, as you're paying a subscription to access them. It's rental really.

Selling physical games is a good way of making games cheap, or even making a profit. Returning them after playing them is dishonest and scummy though.
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was gonna buy Pokemon sword but then it got leaked so I played it and it was the worst game I've ever played so I cancelled my preorder and thus got £50 (!) off
quasa
Rep:
?
PSN account doesn't matter when talking about discounts, it's PC where the discounts are. PC games effectively have no value now. PS Plus games aren't free either, as you're paying a subscription to access them. It's rental really.

Selling physical games is a good way of making games cheap, or even making a profit. Returning them after playing them is dishonest and scummy though.
How is it dishonest or scummy when the reason you give for returning is that you have finished the game and have no further use for it after getting platinum trophies within a week of getting a game? Is it my fault the developers make some games a lot easier than others?
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
I bought gran turismo sport for £15 off ebay new sealed about a month after release.

Back in the day in like 2009-2012 Sainsbury used to do a deal 35% off new game releases like fifa/COD if you spent £50 in store. Everyone at school used to get them on their mums weekly shop. But you had to get their early as each store only had limited numbers of each disk.
I Don't get why people don't wait till Xmas to get fifa cod, f1 or any other annual sports games - the price drops drastically
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
I Don't get why people don't wait till Xmas to get fifa cod, f1 or any other annual sports games - the price drops drastically
Back in their day I used to buy those games every year, nowadays it seems like a waste & I don’t game anywhere near enough to justify it but when you’re in year 9 and all your mates have it, you just have the mentality of needing it.

Nowadays I rarely get these games. I buy a cheap copy every 3/4 years when im bored. But I gave EA & Activision far too much money as a school kid.
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Back in their day I used to buy those games every year, nowadays it seems like a waste & I don’t game anywhere near enough to justify it but when you’re in year 9 and all your mates have it, you just have the mentality of needing it.

Nowadays I rarely get these games. I buy a cheap copy every 3/4 years when im bored. But I gave EA & Activision far too much money as a school kid.
Same ere (+ Bandai - emember when nfs and Tony hawks games were big and everyone got a new game every year)
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
How is it dishonest or scummy when the reason you give for returning is that you have finished the game and have no further use for it after getting platinum trophies within a week of getting a game? Is it my fault the developers make some games a lot easier than others?
You bought it, used it to its fullest, then scrape your money back like a peasant.
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
>1000 itch.io games including critically-acclaimed ones like Celeste for $5.
quasa
Rep:
?
You bought it, used it to its fullest, then scrape your money back like a peasant.
What is wrong with using and enjoying something to its fullest and getting your money back if you have no further use for it?
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
What is wrong with using and enjoying something to its fullest and getting your money back if you have no further use for it?
WTF?
quasa
Rep:
?
WTF?
Not everyone has time to play 1000s of games and I personally only get games which intruige me regardless of runtime. If the game is too easy / doesn't have any replay value, I'm fully entitled to get a refund if I platinum trophy it.
(good examples: spiderman on PS4 - finished in 4 days of playing
Watch_dogs 2: 6 days of playing (would have been shorter however if they had the online mode on day 1)
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by quasa)
Not everyone has time to play 1000s of games and I personally only get games which intruige me regardless of runtime. If the game is too easy / doesn't have any replay value, I'm fully entitled to get a refund if I platinum trophy it.
You literally use something to its fullest and demand a refund after.

Even having the audacity to say it has no replay value after spending a sad amount of time replaying it to get all the imaginary meaningless trophies. WTF?
lozzyhickers
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure of the exact prices anymore but as well as Steam sales we've had some great Humble Bundle deals in the past.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lozzyhickers)
I'm not sure of the exact prices anymore but as well as Steam sales we've had some great Humble Bundle deals in the past.
thats how I got the rockstar bundle for £11.x !
quasa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
You literally use something to its fullest and demand a refund after.

Even having the audacity to say it has no replay value after spending a sad amount of time replaying it to get all the imaginary meaningless trophies. WTF?
hey if you complete 100% of a game regardless of how long you spend (platinum =/= 100% for a lot of games), and feel no attachment / have no friends or family interested (or old enough) to play the games, why keep them when you can flog them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.56%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.07%
Look for a job (19)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.06%
Take a year out (96)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed