How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?

Watch
Poll: How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?
Completely online (45)
8.33%
A mix of in-person and online options (90)
16.67%
As many in-person events as is safe to do (335)
62.04%
I don't plan on attending a Freshers' Fair (70)
12.96%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Freshers' Fair is a rite of passage for all students, with lots of information about societies, local businesses and a chance to meet other students. But when Covid-19 throws a spanner in the works, how do you think Freshers' Fairs will run this year, and what you would you prefer to do?

Would you want it to be completely virtual, to avoid any potential crowds?

Or would you prefer a mix of in-person and virtual events to help try to bring some normality to the start of term but understanding that not everyone will want that?

What stands/events would be better in-person, and which would be better virtually? What information is the most important to you? What are the benefits of in-person events?

Would you want to go at all if the event was mainly in-person?

What do you feel you would be missing out on if Fairs couldn’t actually run in-person at all?

Let us know your thoughts!
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 4 weeks ago
HELLOBrine123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There should be as many in person events as possible. To maintain social distancing they should make it so that you can only move one way.
Lightning720
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Definitely should be in-person as long as they find a safe way to run it, which shouldn't be too difficult.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HELLOBrine123)
There should be as many in person events as possible. To maintain social distancing they should make it so that you can only move one way.
One way systems are already common, you'd still end up with something like this if you didn't have any added restrictions:

04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd split the event up into timeslots and ticket the event. Only a certain number of people able to book into one timeslots and go from there. If the event is normally ran over 1 day then run it over two to help ease the congestion and place limits on the number of people that societies are able to have on stall.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
Freshers' Fair is a rite of passage for all students, with lots of information about societies, local businesses and a chance to meet other students. But when Covid-19 throws a spanner in the works, how do you think Freshers' Fairs will run this year, and what you would you prefer to do?

Would you want it to be completely virtual, to avoid any potential crowds?

Or would you prefer a mix of in-person and virtual events to help try to bring some normality to the start of term but understanding that not everyone will want that?

What stands/events would be better in-person, and which would be better virtually? What information is the most important to you? What are the benefits of in-person events?

Would you want to go at all if the event was mainly in-person?

What do you feel you would be missing out on if Fairs couldn’t actually run in-person at all?

Let us know your thoughts!
Social distancing must be enforced, which will be difficult when alcohol is involved. If they can’t guarantee this, they shouldn’t happen
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Social distancing must be enforced, which will be difficult when alcohol is involved. If they can’t guarantee this, they shouldn’t happen
On about the actual freshers events, not the fairs
bored_user:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As long as we got free Pizza.. who am I to complain: *shrugs*
KittyN
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In general, I'd like as many events to be in person as possible.

But I went to the Freshers fair in my first two years, and never really saw the point. At least at my uni, you had to sign up for societies online anyway, rather than in person at the fair, and none of the stalls told you anything that you couldn't just see on the website anyway.

Free pizza is the only thing that's worth going in person for!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (213)
60.17%
No they should not (102)
28.81%
Abstain (39)
11.02%

Watched Threads