The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
smellslikemarmite
I'm fed up of all this **** that says eating healthier is more expensive - it's really not. Can of tinned tomatoes - 21p Asda Smartprice. Pasta shapes - 19p Asda Smartprice. There you go, some tomatoey pasta, which is probably a hell of a lot more nutritious than chicken dippers every sodding night of the week.
People just need to be educated on healthy eating, that's all.

I resent that as I have had chicken dippers once in 3 years and even then it was a small pack that lasted a few days.

Its a can of worms since I eat pasta and bread products a lot so have high carbs nothing to do with eating junk

Id rather have a salad then a greasy burger but im fat.

I go to gym each day and walk around town for a few hours.

Im healthy but fat, i.e I do hillwalking sometimes and the thin ones are far behind me gasping within a minute or two.

Theres tons of thin people who live off booze and junk food so how are they better than a fat person.

I admit all my fat is on by gut I have good legs and arms and shoulders and thats how I attract women as I have a rugby build.
Reply 21
At the end of the day, you cant blame many other people except yourself for being fat, unless you have an illness. You put the pies into your mouth, you drive everywhere, you sit around all day doing nothing great then eat away your problems.
JointVenture
If you exercise and eat well, then there is no excuse for being fat, so yes, they are making excuses. But I dont mind fat people, they make me look good in comparison.

see my first post :rolleyes:
SpiritedAway
not entirely true though it :rolleyes:

Why not? The only people who I can't reliably say this applies to, having little idea of the consequences of illness, is those who are unwell (thyroid problems, for instance). You burn off fat by using more calories than you eat. It really is simple; the difficult part is learning to eat less and make the effort to exercise.
Reply 24
chooka
At the end of the day, you cant blame many other people except yourself for being fat, unless you have an illness. You put the pies into your mouth, you drive everywhere, you sit around all day doing nothing great then eat away your problems.

Ah but thats a stereotype "who ate all the pies"

I dont like pies. nor do some other fat people I know

I see more thin people eat pies and drive everywhere and sit around doing nothing than fat people

My dad who ages 44 walked 10 miles into town and took back 10 heavy bags of shopping as his car was broke and walked back.

my weight keeps going up despite the exercise I do and im an active person come from a family of big people(on our side rest are slim)

No one seems to complain about thin people who stuff their faces and dont put on weight

Whats the difference?
Jessica_Moss
I dont see what the problem with fat people is anyway...

Because, they are a drain on the NHS, and I refuse to pay for fat people to have all kinds of surgery and treatment for their weight-related illnesses. Yes, I know I should move to another country if I don't like it, blah blah, but I don't see why I should move, because someone just can't stop themselves from shoving another cream cake down their gullet.
Reply 26
Phantom Phoenix
Why not? The only people who I can't reliably say this applies to, having little idea of the consequences of illness, is those who are unwell (thyroid problems, for instance). You burn off fat by using more calories than you eat. It really is simple; the difficult part is learning to eat less and make the effort to exercise.

Then why am I putting on weight!!!

I walk for a few hours a day and go to the gym for an hour or two a day, and eat little.

So by rights I should be thin.

I think people are thinking of extremes, I agree the ones who live off junk and arent bothered are the ones that are bad but it makes every overweight person seem fat yet thin people can be greedy, lazy and eat loads too.
MittenKrust
Ah but thats a stereotype "who ate all the pies"

I dont like pies. nor do some other fat people I know

I see more thin people eat pies and drive everywhere and sit around doing nothing than fat people

My dad who ages 44 walked 10 miles into town and took back 10 heavy bags of shopping as his car was broke and walked back.

my weight keeps going up despite the exercise I do and im an active person come from a family of big people(on our side rest are slim)

No one seems to complain about thin people who stuff their faces and dont put on weight

Whats the difference?

It's better to be slightly overweight and eat healthily than to be thin and smoke, drink and eat unhealthily :yes: Ideally, of course, it'd be great to be thin and eat healthily :p:
Jessica_Moss
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can a rib cage sticking out, boney arms and stick legs be attractive?!

Oh dear, what a silly thing to say. I'm a small size 8, and no bones stick out on me, I'm just small! That's like me saying everyone over a certain size must be covered in rolls of flab - whereas in reality you can get larger people who are incredibly toned.

Also, good use of the exclamation mark there. Jesus.
Phantom Phoenix

and how naive are you to think that by eating less calories than you burn off will help you lose weight. :rolleyes:
Reply 30
smellslikemarmite
Because, they are a drain on the NHS, and I refuse to pay for fat people to have all kinds of surgery and treatment for their weight-related illnesses. Yes, I know I should move to another country if I don't like it, blah blah, but I don't see why I should move, because someone just can't stop themselves from shoving another cream cake down their gullet.

That attitude is disgusting as you are saying every fat person loves cakes.

Thats another thing I dont eat cakes, dont eat sweets, dont eat junk food, exercise and am overweight, sure not in same way as the ones whith layers of flab but still am.

Dont say every fat person is like that and even if they are its disgusting.
Reply 31
LOL some really nasty comments on here, i know a few larger girls and one of them a close friend of mine, she's maybe a size 18/20, but she's happy and wouldn't change it. Some might find it odd, but i think if your happy then why should what anyone else thinks matter.

I'm a size 14 .. yes a real "fatty" ... i don't eat any crap, i workout 4 times a week, and walk for almost an hour a day ... ...

Hell - i'm probably healthier than most of the "thin" people commenting on this thread, i'm not stick thin ... that's just gross - i mean come on guys what would you rather - thin bird no boobs, no bum or a nice figure with a bit of a bust?

I know which i'd choose!
Reply 32
Phantom Phoenix
It's better to be slightly overweight and eat healthily than to be thin and smoke, drink and eat unhealthily :yes: Ideally, of course, it'd be great to be thin and eat healthily :p:

Thats a good point but this thread shows that people assume that every fat person is eating at every opportunity and sitting down doing nothing

Does no one watch that make my body younger show on BBC3?! Loads of thin people who booze every night and eat kebabs every day and chain smoke yet are thin.
Phantom Phoenix
That said, it would be helpful if fresh fruit and veg were cheaper than tinned stuff (which is almost inevitably high in salt) and takeaway rubbish, for instance.

I agree that fresh fruit and veg should be cheaper, but not all tinned stuff is bad. The nutritional values of the aforementioned tinned tomatoes:

Protein 2.4g
Available Carbohydrate 7.6g
Of Which Sugars 5.0g
Fat 0.2g
Of which Saturates Trace
Fibre 1.6g
Sodium Trace

So really, it's not all that bad. People just need to be educated by parents on what healthy eating constitutes.
MittenKrust
Then why am I putting on weight!!!

I walk for a few hours a day and go to the gym for an hour or two a day, and eat little.

So by rights I should be thin.

I think people are thinking of extremes, I agree the ones who live off junk and arent bothered are the ones that are bad but it makes every overweight person seem fat yet thin people can be greedy, lazy and eat loads too.

Was it you who said that you tend to eat carb-heavy foods? If so, you may be eating a lot of calories regardless of the actual amount of food. Failing that, I'd suggest you talk to your GP because someone who eats healthily and exercises every day shouldn't be gaining weight. I really sympathise, I'm dieting at the moment myself (was heavily overweight, lost it all, was thin for six months then got stuck in bed for 18 months with post-viral fatigue and piled a load back on, urgh). I hope it starts going better for you soon.
Not biased because I'm deathly thin myself, but I lived with an obese family inc. my friend and whenever she tried to diet, there would be no change in her weight. It seems really hard to lose weight, so it's an easier said than done thing.

Although I do agree that some people don't even bother trying at all which is bad.
Reply 36
bit harsh negging me i just reiterated what everyone else said exept i used the word fatty.
Reply 37
carlyH
LOL some really nasty comments on here, i know a few larger girls and one of them a close friend of mine, she's maybe a size 18/20, but she's happy and wouldn't change it. Some might find it odd, but i think if your happy then why should what anyone else thinks matter.

I'm a size 14 .. yes a real "fatty" ... i don't eat any crap, i workout 4 times a week, and walk for almost an hour a day ... ...

Hell - i'm probably healthier than most of the "thin" people commenting on this thread, i'm not stick thin ... that's just gross - i mean come on guys what would you rather - thin bird no boobs, no bum or a nice figure with a bit of a bust?

I know which i'd choose!

Thats what im like, im overweight but healthy, my dad has yearly(or more) health checks as part of his work and each time he comes back and says the doctor doesnt understand why hes so healthy as his body is younger than it should be, probably part as he lives in countryside and walks a lot though smokes ciggys and loves eating sweets(not to excess though)

He rarely puts on weight though he is a few stone overweight.
smellslikemarmite

but skinny people can have some of the risks that fat people have e.g. high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes. also, then you should be moaning that skinny people are a drain on the NHS, with their chances of heartattacks, annarexia etc.
SpiritedAway
and how naive are you to think that by eating less calories than you burn off will help you lose weight. :rolleyes:

Because on a very basic level, that's how it works. The energy your body needs has to come from somewhere, so it comes from the fat stored in your body. Not talking about starving yourself because then your body goes into starvation mode and clings onto every morsel of fat in your body. Just balanced, healthy, regular meals, and more exercise.

Latest

Trending

Trending