Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessica_Moss)

oh and i didnt know the exclamation mark police were in business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    I am overweight - but I am doing something about it.
    Basically, I've been overweight most of my life. I know there's no excuse.

I used to be picked on at school, which led to binges, I consequently put on weight, was picked on more at school, the vicious cycle continued. The bullying stopped in about year 7/8, but by then, my confidence was shattered. I floated around different social groups at school, but didn't really "fit in" to any, so I binged more.

So, April this year, I joined Weight Watchers at 15st 7lbs. I've worked hard to lose weight, exercising and eating healthily, and have so far lost 1st 2 and 1/2lbs. I've still got quite a way to go, but am now down to a size 16 (at my biggest, I was a size 20) and intend to slim down further.

My mum had made various efforts to help me lose weight before, which hadn't worked - mainly putting me on packed lunches at school so I didn't spend money on sweets.
    But I think the reason WW works for me is that they provide a gentle, supportive environment. I've only messed up on 2 occasions since I joined WW, and even then only put on 1/2lb or 1lb, which I've subsequently lost again.
    (Also, maybe I'm being a *****, but I'm also enjoying the fact that while I'm losing weight, one guy who picked on me for being fat has *put on* weight :P: )

I know there's no excuse, and as I said, I am now losing weight. But I personally find I lose more weight when people support me, than when people are rude/harsh about my weight (that tends to make me go the other way).

Not sure if this is quite on topic, but apparently there are plans for kids to be weighed at school and a letter sent home if they are overweight. The problem I find in this is *not* that they'll be weighed, but that all the parents will get is a letter telling them their kid is overweight - end of; no support, no dietary advice, no plan from the GP, nothing.

My mum was weighed at school as a child, and was told she was fat when she wasn't - by a woman who was actually obese herself. Due to this, my mum spent years worrying about her weight, thinking that she looked like the obese woman who weighed her, when she was in fact perfectly healthy.
    So, I'm not saying that weighing kids in school is a bad idea, just that if the government *do* bring this in, they need to have the resources and support in *all* the areas needed, ie doctors/nutritionists etc to help inform the family of what to do, maybe set up eating/exercise plans if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Can the two posters with the daft line of exclamation marks please cut/remove that line, please? I think you've made pages 4 & 5 go a bit screwy.

ReputationRep:
    What about people who have a medical problem? The same could be said about smokers...a drain on the NHS...drug addicts. I dont think that fat people are the pit of our problems. Think of all the rehabilitation centres there are for addicts. What about all the cancer treatment used for people who smoke like a chimney! I think that costs the NHS more than obese people...
    I have been told on numerous occasions that smokers more than pay for themselves on the NHS due to the amount of tax they pay on cigarettes, so your analogy doesn't hold water.

And the number of overweight people who have a medical problem making them overweight is negligible. People get overweight because they eat too much and don't exercise enough, and excusing it on the grounds of a theoretical medical condition only gives them a reason to put off doing something about it because it's 'not their fault'.

I really think that a harsher approach is necessary. Being obese can easily shorten your life by 9 years, or that's the figure quoted by the NHS, and frankly that was one of the statistics that shocked me into doing something about it. Overweight people need to be told that they are going to die younger and why; those are quantifiable statements. The problem is that people place too much emphasis on losing weight because you'll feel better about yourself, but this is too diaphanous to actually encourage most people. On the other hand, telling an obese person that they can lengthen their life by a good decade simply by shifting that weight may actually scare them into doing it. The sympathetic 'it's not your fault' approach does nothing to encourage weight loss and as such is useless. What's the point in telling someone there's nothing wrong with being overweight when in fact it makes you unhealthy, shortens your life and reduces the quality of what life you'll get?

Rant over.:erm:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is going to die eventually anyway. What about drug addicts then? They dont pay tax on their drugs do they. its not like they can buy a gram of coke over the kiosk at morrisons! There are countless numbers of rehabilitation centers being built. Councils seem to be spending more money on these than anything else. So thats where all our taxes are going really isnt it. Your also not considering the fact that people without jobs, claiming benefits, are the biggest drain on tax. Not overweight people. I think you'll find that there is more money being spent on things like ''job seekers allowance'' and other types of benefits, than there is being spent on the odd clinically obese person having a gastric bypass. Not all overweight people are so severly overweight that they need to have major surgery.

(Original post by Phantom Phoenix)
    I have been told on numerous occasions that smokers more than pay for themselves on the NHS due to the amount of tax they pay on cigarettes, so your analogy doesn't hold water.

And the number of overweight people who have a medical problem making them overweight is negligible. People get overweight because they eat too much and don't exercise enough, and excusing it on the grounds of a theoretical medical condition only gives them a reason to put off doing something about it because it's 'not their fault'.

I really think that a harsher approach is necessary. Being obese can easily shorten your life by 9 years, or that's the figure quoted by the NHS, and frankly that was one of the statistics that shocked me into doing something about it. Overweight people need to be told that they are going to die younger and why; those are quantifiable statements. The problem is that people place too much emphasis on losing weight because you'll feel better about yourself, but this is too diaphanous to actually encourage most people. On the other hand, telling an obese person that they can lengthen their life by a good decade simply by shifting that weight may actually scare them into doing it. The sympathetic 'it's not your fault' approach does nothing to encourage weight loss and as such is useless. What's the point in telling someone there's nothing wrong with being overweight when in fact it makes you unhealthy, shortens your life and reduces the quality of what life you'll get?

Rant over.:erm:

ReputationRep:
    Being fat is a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnyRoquentin)
    God, you're hard work. Both are continually in and out of the doctors for medical reasons, which I'm not going to go into, and have been told that they are better for it.
    So does that mean that the weight loss is not down to just eating salad alone. If people have medical problems such as IBS then they are going to loose weight as if it goes in one end and comes straight out the other....

ReputationRep:
    for the most part yes thier making excuses and its about time they accepted that thier human whales and did something about them

instead of blaming everyone for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    people are fat because they dont eat right and dont excersise.

as far as im concerned nobody can do those things for you so, all the fatties fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    people are fat because they dont eat right and dont excersise.

as far as im concerned nobody can do those things for you so, all the fatties fault.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is going to die eventually anyway. What about drug addicts then? They dont pay tax on their drugs do they. its not like they can buy a gram of coke over the kiosk at morrisons! There are countless numbers of rehabilitation centers being built. Councils seem to be spending more money on these than anything else. So thats where all our taxes are going really isnt it. Your also not considering the fact that people without jobs, claiming benefits, are the biggest drain on tax. Not overweight people. I think you'll find that there is more money being spent on things like ''job seekers allowance'' and other types of benefits, than there is being spent on the odd clinically obese person having a gastric bypass. Not all overweight people are so severly overweight that they need to have major surgery.
    But no one is trying to say that drug addicts can't do anything about their situation. No one is saying it's not their fault that they're addicted. You're comparing apples and oranges here; what many people (including myself) are arguing in this thread is that being overweight is in fact the fault of the people involved, while others are arguing that it isn't their fault. There is no such confusion, so far as I am aware, with drug users. I'm also not sure what relevance council spending budgets have to this topic. People shouldn't lose weight to save councils money, and neither should they be dissuaded or excused from losing weight because the council spends more on dealing with other problems, as (I think) you were pointing out. People should lose weight for their own good; they need to lose weight because they will have a longer, happier and more enjoyable life because they do. Any money saved within the NHS as a result would be a useful side-effect, rather than an initial target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    for the most part yes thier making excuses and its about time they accepted that thier human whales and did something about them

instead of blaming everyone for it
    Another silly response as that makes out every fat person is "a human whale"

Where did you get that from?

It seems when someone says fat or even overweight automatically think of very fat people who live off gallons of milkshakes and burgers and pizzas etc

Whilst they do happen and those ones I agree are the ones I dont like much as that I see is self inflicted.

The ones who are just a stone or two over or slightly more and do a lot of exercise etc but enjoys a snack here and there is seen as the same

Thats what im like

I am in great health just overweight.

I do hillwalking and go to gym each day

But as im overweight im assumed to be lazier and greedier than a thin person who does no exercise and eats junk

As its the mentality that a fat person is fat due to being lazy and greedy

A thin person is thin as they exercise and eat less.

How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    The ones who are just a stone or two over or slightly more and do a lot of exercise etc but enjoys a snack here and there is seen as the same

Thats what im like
    nope i dont see one or two stone over as fat - and i doubt most people do either

my friend is technically overwieght according to BMI hes grossly obese the mans a rugby player not fat in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    So does that mean that the weight loss is not down to just eating salad alone. If people have medical problems such as IBS then they are going to loose weight as if it goes in one end and comes straight out the other....

Obviously not. At any point did I mention IBS? No.
    Quit making excuses, being fat is your own fault. End of.

ReputationRep:
    Im not making excuses. But saying that they go to the doctors on many occasions leaves the mind to wander.

ReputationRep:
    Im not making excuses. But saying that they go to the doctors on many occasions leaves the mind to wander.

Well it really shouldn't, given that actually, it's none of your business?

ReputationRep:
    The problem with that sort of reply is the stigma of the word fat

Its assumed that a fat person is a lardass who stuffs their face with cakes, fizzy drinks, greasy fatty foods anything unhealthy and never exercise

That isnt the case but I agree fat is the persons fault but not in the same way.

Its their fault in the way that their body puts on weight different so they should eat less junk/carbs/fatty etc than another

But when a thin person can eat more and be thinner why is that seen as ok?

I constantly see kids up town going into McDonalds or a take away and coming out with greasy chips, kebabs, burgers yet they are slim, often see the same ones.

Just because they absorb fat different doesnt mean they are any less greedy etc.

They are just as unhealthy as a fat person who lives off the same but they are worse than a fat person who eats sensibly but as the fat sensible one is fat it is assumed they are worse.

ReputationRep:
    LOL you can't be fat and eat sensibly. srsly. Don't try to shift the discrimination!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walrusgod)
    LOL you can't be fat and eat sensibly. srsly. Don't try to shift the discrimination!
    Proof please

Depends on how you see sensibly.

If I eat loads of fruit and veg but have too much though im eating healthily I would be overweight

Can you explain why I keep putting on weight despite walking for hours each day, am at gym an hour or two a day, dont touch alcohol, sweets, chocolate, ice cream, greasy fatty foods like kebabs and burgers, dont eat pies.

I eat carbs but I eat sensibly.

So the only thing that isnt sensible as such is I should have a varied diet.

But im not eating junk food.

Yet you can have plenty of thin people who dont eat sensibly so how is it that fat people are seen to not eat sensibly and thin people do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walrusgod)
    I'm currently fat, the weight went on because I was stuck in bed for about a year due to illness. I'm still fat but eating very sensibly and have lost a stone and a half in the last 5 weeks. Yes, I'm overweight because I didn't get any exercise for a year or so and that is my fault, but I have not eaten badly to get myself into this situation. You shouldn't make assumptions. Come to that, you shouldn't really discriminate against overweight people you don't know, because for all you know they might be doing something about it. I'm sure if you saw me on the street you'd assume that I ate terribly, whereas in fact I eat more healthily than anyone I know and am losing weight. On the other hand, if you know an overweight person who continues to eat unhealthily and doesn't exercise at all then disciminate away, it might help them change.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.