Different subjects at different Uni's Watch

Kagutsuchi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi.

I'm in quite a pickle at the moment. I'm at AS at the moment and am completing my UCAS application form and i've realised that i don't quite know what i want to do for my subject choice.

I really want to do English - but Japanese has tickled my fancy as well!

I found SOAS Uni a few months ago and absolutely love it! But they don't offer Japanese combined with English, but they do offer Japanese combined with History which i'm thoroughly content with.

But now here's the pickle, would it be wise to pick Japanese and History at one Uni and pick English Lit in the others? If so, how do i write my personal statement so that it is concise and appealing for all the Uni's and the subjects?

My mind is a sponge. :yep:
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
bump!
The Sherminator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, discuss mainly about English in your statement, and discuss your interest in languages as a whole, so mention Japanese as one of the languages you are deeply interested in and for reasons etc etc. Try to include the Japanese in, but bare in mind that 4 unis will see Japanese as an addition to your English skills, they don't only want to hear about the Japanese.
themeteor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
History and English have a lot of, whats the word?...
Critical analysis?

What I mean is that both subjects are about how you interpret things so may you could talk about that. Somehow. I thought I had a helpful idea when I started typing this Oh well maybe it will still help
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Sherminator)
Well, discuss mainly about English in your statement, and discuss your interest in languages as a whole, so mention Japanese as one of the languages you are deeply interested in and for reasons etc etc. Try to include the Japanese in, but bare in mind that 4 unis will see Japanese as an addition to your English skills, they don't only want to hear about the Japanese.
Am i actually able to do this? Select one subject here and other subjects in other unis'?
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kagutsuchi)
Am i actually able to do this? Select one subject here and other subjects in other unis'?
No-one will stop you. And if you do it cleverly it could be done.
You could also ask for an extra personal statment to write for SOAS, just for that course, because its different to the others you are applying to. I have heard it can be done, and it would serve your purpose very well.
Absurd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not impossible, but I think it'd be rather difficult to write a good personal statement that covers Japanese, History and English Lit.
Hanoi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should really make your mind up because in your PS you have to convince them that you have an interest in the course and are fully committed to it...which would be hard to do if you do not have a PS that is not all about one course.

If you apply to less popular courses (the unis lowest in the rankings) then this might not be a problem but the better unis will receive lots of applications so they might not consider someone who's does not really show commitment to their course.

If you stick to one subject for all your choices then you can write your PS about that subject only which the unis will prefer.
Toxic Tears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi.

I'm in quite a pickle at the moment. I'm at AS at the moment and am completing my UCAS application form and i've realised that i don't quite know what i want to do for my subject choice.

I found SOAS Uni a few months ago and absolutely love it! But they don't offer Japanese combined with English, but they do offer Japanese combined with History which i'm thoroughly content with.

But now here's the pickle, would it be wise to pick Japanese and History at one Uni and pick English Lit in the others? If so, how do i write my personal statement so that it is concise and appealing for all the Uni's and the subjects?

How much do you actually want to do japenese? I guess not a lot as it is only one of your options. Don't forget you can apply for multiple course at a single uni.
If you're actually committed to japenese why not apply for japenese in other unis?
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toxic Tears)
How much do you actually want to do japenese? I guess not a lot as it is only one of your options. Don't forget you can apply for multiple course at a single uni.
If you're actually committed to japenese why not apply for japenese in other unis?
You can do that?! :eek:

Ideally, i'd like to stay in London, tis the Uni's do not fit my needs.

I'd prefer to have Japanese combined with English under my belt, but only SOAS offer Japanese with another subject.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi.

You can apply for as many courses as you want to, provided you can write a convincing PS. In terms of structure, you could perhaps concentrate mainly on English Lit, but talk about Japanese in your 'interests' etc section. Before you do that though, as The Sherminator said, you should contact the department at SOAS and ask if you could potentially provide an extra PS on top of your UCAS one (some unis/courses do let you do this), so that you can concentrate just on Eng Lit in your main PS.

Why not maybe consider just sole Japanese at SOAS instead of Japanese & History? In that case, you could write a PS concentrating on two, rather than three disciplines.

All in all though, English Lit is reeeeally competitive at top unis, so you could well be rejected if they sense that you're not truly committed to the subject. What are your reasons for wanting to do Japanese? Do you think it's just a temporary thing that you rather like the look of, or is it a serious interest? Do you have any kind of wider reading/evidence to show your commitment to Japanese? In the worst case scenario you could be rejected for both subjects because you don't seem focused enough.
Toxic Tears
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can do that?! :eek:

Ideally, i'd like to stay in London, tis the Uni's do not fit my needs.

I'd prefer to have Japanese combined with English under my belt, but only SOAS offer Japanese with another subject.
Yeah you can do that but obviously they should be similar courses or you would have some diffculty convincing them of your commitment to study that subject. e.g. one can apply to UCL for "ecology" and at the same time "biology with diversity." (i dont know if UCL actually does those subjects lol)

Why don't you try courses that have japenese and "linguistics" in the title? As I understand, linguistics also has an element of English in it? Someone correct me if im wrong... Also maybe look under "modern languages" which may include japenese and some English modules.
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Besides Oxbridge, you can apply for 5 courses at the same university if you want. Ideally, you wouldn't want to do that though :p:
morfin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm in the same boat, but not as complicated lol. I'm applying for English with either German or French at various places. I'm structuring like this

Para 1: ENGLISH and how great it is etc
Para 2: Languages - how great they are AND how they have complemented my English studies
Para 3: extra

Unless you include in your English paragraph how fascinating studying past literatures are and how key they are to unlocking past civilisations etc I don't really see a way of working History in there... sorry
abu.10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
sheffield uni does history and japanese, they also do linguistics and japanese which may be the right course for you
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How are they hard to link? Ignore everyone that says it'll be difficult.
Focus on: Japanese history and culture, and why this makes you want to study the language.
How studying English Lit is really enjoyable, and you'd love to be able to study Japanese Lit (give some examples of what you've read in translation, perhaps) at some point in the original language.
And History and English Lit is easy...They're both quite similar in the way of thinking needed to approach it. So just go on about what periods of history you like, what you've read that reflects this, what you like about the literature from this period (and in general), how you love interpreting things, writing essays, etc.
Don't lie, though...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads