Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's arrived today through the post :cool: Strawberry flava, sexy time.

It mentions to take it 2-3 times daily. I'll be sticking to 2 max per day, perhaps 1 daily to begin with for a week or so...i think.

Anyway, what time of the day am i best taking it at? Pre-breakfast, pre-lunch, pre-dinner, right before food consumption, that kind of thing...or like 1 to 2 hours before a scheduled cardio or weight training workout? :confused:

I do need to bulk up so it'll be interesting to see how effective protein shakes are/can be, never used protein supplements before.

ReputationRep:
    Within 30 minutes of going to the gym

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    It mentions to take it 2-3 times daily. I'll be sticking to 2 max per day, perhaps 1 daily to begin with for a week or so...i think.

Anyway, what time of the day am i best taking it at? Pre-breakfast, pre-lunch, pre-dinner, right before food consumption, that kind of thing...or like 1 to 2 hours before a scheduled cardio or weight training workout?
    Ideally as soon as possible following a workout.

(Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    I do need to bulk up so it'll be interesting to see how effective protein shakes are/can be, never used protein supplements before.
    It will only 'work' if the rest of your diet and your exercise/resistance training routine is nailed. Have a poor diet, or a crap routine, and, while you may 'grow' you could just be looking at fat.

You will also need to increase your calorific intake by 500cals above your maintenance diet to give your body the energy it needs to repair and grow new muscle, alongside protein.

ReputationRep:
    keep it in a shaker in your gym bag with some blended oats. Mix it with water in the fountain on the way out of the gym and drink it then. Its just easier than eating food after the gym.

On non workout days its up to you. Based on whether you eat enough whole food.

ReputationRep:
    I take it directly after a workout in the evening, and first thing in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    30 mins before workout

and

straight after workout

ReputationRep:
    I take it immediately after my morning run, as a snack when I'm hungry (twice), immediately after my weights workout and usually before bed. I usually aim to have 100g in whey/day.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question, just come back from a 45 minute jog, i will be eating my dinner in 10 minutes time...

when should i take the whey protein when i'm eating my dinner this soon after a work-out?

is it, err, less effective as a result of my having dinner immediately after the workout, if i was to have it now, minutes before eating...???

i will be doing approx. 10 minutes of weight training in about 2 hours time. Am i best taking the whey protein then, within 30mins of doing this?

ReputationRep:
    So your options are; Take the whey now before dinner, take it after dinner, take it after 10minutes weights at 10.30pm?

Just take it now, get it out of the way. 10minutes weights is not alot of volume, probably get away with a glass of milk. If it was a longer weight session I would definatly say after that.

ReputationRep:
    you make protein shakes sound as if they are dangerous or something lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    you make protein shakes sound as if they are dangerous or something lol.
    just whether there is a science as to when is best to take them. I think i'm best taking it before bed. I go running approx 3 out of 7 evenings, doing some weights after, before going to bed. I'll take the protein shake after weights, after having done the cardio session...

it'll work out

had my first strawberry shake last night, tasted OK actually. Not superb but certainly tolerable :cool:

i'll hit the gym running like a mofo in a weeks time, that's when i'll be revamping my diet, cleaning it up, going to the gym, properly working the guns etc...

I'll be saying HELLO to a human ****ing temple in a couple of months time :woo: Well, relatively speaking :rolleyes:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.