Polygamy! What do you think? Watch

ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1) Marriage should not be a legal institution, and the government should have nothing whatsoever to do with your love life.
2) If you can convince more than one person to marry you, so long as they're over the age of consent, good for you, go for it.
Invocation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Having multiple spouses happens all over the world, and goes both ways. For example some Muslim men have up to four wives, while women in Tibet can have a few husbands, for a variety of reasons.

It's not for everyone, but if everyone's consenting, I don't see the problem.
thecaterpillar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am in full support of polyamory. However, polygamy usually (probably not always) only refers to only one partner having several other wives/husbands. E.g. one man marries several women, but those women aren't allowed to have other partners. I don't think that in all situations that's exactly fair, but hey, if you want to do it, and everyone else is fine, go ahead. *shrug* Well, obviously not, because it's illegal in the UK at least, but you know.

I definitely understand why people could love more than one person. But at the same time, it is difficult to totally eliminate jealousy. You can't say 'I'm polyamorous because I'm cheating on my girlfriend' - you're not doing it with the consent of all the people involved so that is just cheating.
yas245
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Which do you think is more susceptible, to be in a gay or a polygamous relationship?? (Regardless of what society you live in)
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by yas245)
Which do you think is more susceptible, to be in a gay or a polygamous relationship?? (Regardless of what society you live in)
It has absolutely no effect on anyone else, so either.
Dr. Unk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What about a gay polygamous relationship?

I'd be in one just to piss off fundementalist Christians.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prokaryotic_crap)
a girl that undergoes puberty only has on average 30 yrs till she reaches menopuase (assuming 13 is the average age when girls start puberty), whereas a man keeps producing sperm for a long time (till about 80 i think), so a woman needs to find a spouse quick if she wants to have children and marraige is the only lawful way to have children in the eyes of God and in most society (don't know about this but it should be). And considering that we live in a world in which there is more women than men (about 1:4), I am for polygamy. In New York alone, 40% of women are still single by the time they are 30 (waste of eggs if you ask me). Also from a religious prospective, because men have such a weakness/desire for sex, say if a wife doesn't satisfy her husband's huge sexual apitite, to prevent him from sleeping with the next woman he sees that he finds attractive, he can go and propose marraige to her.
What about women who opt not to have children?

Where an earth did you get that idea from? Worldwide, it is about 53% women and 47% men. Unless you're coming from some country where aborting children for being male is common? (I don't think there is one though . . . normally it's female foetuses that are aborted in places like China and India).

Have you considered that this may be either a choice or because of work or other commitments? Perhaps it's not that they can't find a partner, but for other reasons that polygamy wouldn't solve? And anyway, the world can only support so many people and at the moment it's probably on the limit of how much food it can produce - even with modern farming techniques, the population can't go on expanding forever.

Surely even if you're proposing that he marries her, he's still going to have sex with her. And anyway, men can control themselves if they want to. If he's not being sexually satisfied by his wife then he's just going to have to satisfy himself by himself like every other monogamous bloke in the world.

You're saying this from a very male-centric viewpoint. Where is the consideration of how the women in a polygamous relationship may feel?
~style
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
What about women who opt not to have children?
Then don't.

Have you considered that this may be either a choice or because of work or other commitments? Perhaps it's not that they can't find a partner, but for other reasons that polygamy wouldn't solve? And anyway, the world can only support so many people and at the moment it's probably on the limit of how much food it can produce - even with modern farming techniques, the population can't go on expanding forever.
Do you have a clue how much food we waste, regularly, for one reason or another? The world can more than accomodate. I even heard we could accommodate everyone in one continent, or even much less, can't remember exactly.

Surely even if you're proposing that he marries her, he's still going to have sex with her. And anyway, men can control themselves if they want to. If he's not being sexually satisfied by his wife then he's just going to have to satisfy himself by himself like every other monogamous bloke in the world.
You're not a bloke so yea.

You're saying this from a very male-centric viewpoint. Where is the consideration of how the women in a polygamous relationship may feel?
Find one and ask her. :yep:
ParadoxSocks
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm all for polygamy as long as it's an equal relationship for everybody involved ie. it's not the man having more partners and giving no say to his other wives; but where the relationship is completely equal and okay with everybody.

How can having multiple partners to love you and for you to love them be a bad thing? A family containing multiple partners that is in no way damaging sounds like a good thing to me.

Wow. That was hard to explain.
sidewalkwhenshewalks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CHAMON)
I want 7000 wives
LMAO :woo:
it's just so perfectly inane
~style
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by snoogy)
I'm all for polygamy as long as it's an equal relationship for everybody involved ie. it's not the man having more partners and giving no say to his other wives; but where the relationship is completely equal and okay with everybody.

How can having multiple partners to love you and for you to love them be a bad thing? A family containing multiple partners that is in no way damaging sounds like a good thing to me.

Wow. That was hard to explain.
I'm the product of one and we're all a big happy family. :woo:
JointVenture
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm an undercover poligamist :ninja:
Teao the Cat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nothing wrong with it, as far as i'm concerned... might be a bit confusing for the kids, perhaps, but other than that... originally it was for the procreation of more children, but wiht lower infant mortality and not such an issue wiht inheritance these days, that reason is a bit outdated... but still, most societies where polygamy is practised, at least those I know of, state that all of the partners muct be treated equally, so no one loses out...
zzzzzoe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i couldnt deal with that :|
im just not that way inclined.
tuesday91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a girl that undergoes puberty only has on average 30 yrs till she reaches menopuase (assuming 13 is the average age when girls start puberty), whereas a man keeps producing sperm for a long time (till about 80 i think), so a woman needs to find a spouse quick if she wants to have children and marraige is the only lawful way to have children in the eyes of God and in most society (don't know about this but it should be). And considering that we live in a world in which there is more women than men (about 1:4), I am for polygamy. In New York alone, 40% of women are still single by the time they are 30 (waste of eggs if you ask me). Also from a religious prospective, because men have such a weakness/desire for sex, say if a wife doesn't satisfy her husband's huge sexual apitite, to prevent him from sleeping with the next woman he sees that he finds attractive, he can go and propose marraige to her.
That is possibly one of the worst views of women I've heard in a long time. Surely a woman can do what she wants with her life without being viewed as a wasted potential mother?
sleekchic
Report 10 years ago
I dont see the difference between having about 10 gf's or bf's before getting married and Polygamy, people often cry about women being properties owned by men, but what does multiple number of bf's and gf's suggest ?? .. I dont agree with Polygamy nor do i disagree with it ..

Also affairs do take place, where a man/women is found cheating, if Polygamy was allowed wouldn't it stop this kind of unlawful sexual intercourse ??
Polygamy doesn't exactly stop cheating.

I am pretty sure that polygamists stil have affairs.
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I suppose, if I had to classify myself, it would be polyamorous/polygamous.

I am open about my asexuality here, and the fact that I am in a relationship with a partner who is sexual. Obviously, I lack the will nor desire to fill his needs as regularly as he would like me to. Therefore, I allow him to go and have other, more sexual relationships if he choses to, and if he is honest with me about such (and he is.) Equally, I expect the same back from him - If I find another partner I enjoy the company of, I expect to have time with them and consider them to be a partner of mine. He accepts this because, in his words, "There's no sex. It's just a complex friendship." These ideas/guidelines/whatever were set down at the start of our relationship and have worked for us. I suppose it makes us both polygamous.

I don't feel that one person can support every single one of your needs and desires at every point in your life. They might make you happy, as I make my partner happy, but I can't fill his sexual desire. Thus, I have to accept that to raise his happiness, he has to go elsewhere, so to say. To me, it makes you a happier, more balanced person in yourself.

*shrugs* Different strokes for different folks.
emmarainbow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's polyandry - woman with many men.
Polygamy is many women.
Polyamory is 'many loves'. I like that one. It doesn't have the connotations of ownership and baby-farms.
Donald Duck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
4 times as many women as men? Any evidence to back that up?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1648)
78.78%
Leave (444)
21.22%

Watched Threads