Italian / Traditional Dishes Watch

purplefrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

My DT coursework brief is to create a main-meal dish suitable for a dinner party. From my supposed 'research', I have found that Italian and traditional dishes are very popular.

So far I have got the following dishes:
Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni
Vegetable Lasagne
Chicken and Mushroom Carbonara
Gnocchi and Sausage Bake
Cottage Pie
Vegetable Casserole

Anyone care to inspire me with one or two more ideas?

Much appreciated.
purplefrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
anyone... ?
VinceNoir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
'Social' food is a good one for a dinner party; something in a huge pot or pan that's served in the middle of the table, for everyone to get stuck into.

Paella is a good one, not that it fits with the whole Italian/Traditional thing. Although 'traditional' could mean traditional in different countries, so Paella is a traditional Spanish dish.
grace_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Chili?
Chinese food, such as chicken in some sort of sauce, with rice.
Roast chicken/traditional Sunday roast meal/Christmas dinner?
I think that someone giving a dinner party would cook the sort of food that doesn't lend itself instantly to individual portions (e.g. lamb chops or something would be a bit of a pain as you'd have to have the exact number of chops!), and also something that can be cooked quite easily, or that can be left without your attention for a few minutes whilst you went to welcome guests. If you served potatoes/vegetables, then it would be easier/more sociable if you could put the food in dishes in the middle of the table and people could then help themselves.
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My general dinner party dish is Thai Beef Salad accompanying a Green Thai Curry with Sticky rice, followed by homemade ice-cream (usually whatever flavour takes my fancy, but if it's fruit, it has to be in season ). The salad is essentially made a day before, as the beef is marinated for a day, and is then just served chilled with some sort of pak choi/choi sum type vegetable. The thai curry is very good, as it's a pot dish, so people can have seconds if they feel like it, and it doesn't distract you as it just needs to cook away. Ice-cream is again done in advance. Basically, food that can be prepared, as much as possible, in advance!
jointhedots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Make a big stew. Yum.
Ili
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You forgot the classic margherita pizza. And let's not forget tiramisu for dessert. :p:
Jordan1990
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't call cottage pie Italian!
I'd call it traditional english lol

What about a simple spaghetti bolognaise?
Or Lasange and serve it with garlic bread
Jordan1990
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh duh just read the thread properly
Italian and traditional lol
Which brings me to say...Curry! Naan! Bajjiis! The lot!
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jordan1990)
Oh duh just read the thread properly
Italian and traditional lol
Which brings me to say...Curry! Naan! Bajjiis! The lot!
Depends what you describe as traditional. 'Modern' curries, i.e. the sort you get in the UK, were only invented in the late 18th Century, by British forces in India.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Black pasta with scallops, squid, prawns and a mild chilli sauce. Italian, but not traditional
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by VinceNoir)
'Social' food is a good one for a dinner party; something in a huge pot or pan that's served in the middle of the table, for everyone to get stuck into.
Have you been to a dinner party recently?? Getting 'stuck in' doesn't really happen
davireland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by purplefrog)
Hi,

My DT coursework brief is to create a main-meal dish suitable for a dinner party. From my supposed 'research', I have found that Italian and traditional dishes are very popular.

So far I have got the following dishes:
Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni
Vegetable Lasagne
Chicken and Mushroom Carbonara
Gnocchi and Sausage Bake
Cottage Pie
Vegetable Casserole

Anyone care to inspire me with one or two more ideas?

Much appreciated.
What ive experienced is that Italian cuisine relies on simple but really decent dishes with loads of flavours. The dish that comes to my mind when I think about Italian like that is a Risotto, if I were going to prepare a dinner party main meal and I was looking for Italian and/or traditional, I would try this.

Ive searched it in the BBC food website so you can take a look which type to do:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/r...l_26_1=risotto
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ili)
You forgot the classic margherita pizza. And let's not forget tiramisu for dessert. :p:
nice desert.
VinceNoir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FireDeuce)
Have you been to a dinner party recently?? Getting 'stuck in' doesn't really happen
Perhaps I'm not middle class enough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1206)
79.6%
Leave (309)
20.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise