Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be itching to get a Blackberry, but to be honest I'm not sure I know that much about them.

I'd be interested in using it for:
    - Calls
    - Blackberry maps (q: does this cost each time you use it?)
    - Possibly emails / browsing
    - Organiser
    - Media (mp3 player, movies etc).

Could anyone tell me whether or not they reckon it would be worth it? The Orange plan I would be looking at would mean the phone itself is free, Talk with Blackberry is £2.50 a month, monthly bill £35 with 750 anytime mins and unlimited texts.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome!

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in getting one as well, can you get it cheaper than £35 a month??

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford the monthly bill, then I'd say go for it!

I have a BlackBerry myself and find it extremely useful for all sorts. Maps may cost extra depending on your provider and contract. Same with emails/web data usage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_springs)
    I'm interested in getting one as well, can you get it cheaper than £35 a month??
    Probably, but I specifically want one on Orange. For Orange, it looks like the phone itself is free for contracts £35+. For £30 p/month, you pay £50 for the phone, and for the lowest monthly cost of £20 the phone will cost you £200.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be getting one a Blackberry in 2 weeks' time. I've been doing a lot of research into them, and would say its really worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to get a blackberry but im not so sure. I think the nokia N95 does the same type of thing but its slightly better for camera and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I'll be getting one a Blackberry in 2 weeks' time. I've been doing a lot of research into them, and would say its really worth it.
    Sounds cool, any particular bonuses (that I might or might not have thought of) that you could reel off to me quickly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily_blue3)
    Sounds cool, any particular bonuses (that I might or might not have thought of) that you could reel off to me quickly?
    It'd really depend which one you're getting. I'm going to be getting the 8820 (with WiFi); and my maps will be £5 extra per month if I opt for those (I probably won't).
    The deal you're opting for, with the calls and texts, does that include internet as well? If you get one with WiFi you can connect up in a number of places anyway, but otherwise that's a charge worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    Also - girls - are they small enough to fit in jean pockets / clutch bags etc?

(boys you can answer if you know!)

ReputationRep:
    Also - girls - are they small enough to fit in jean pockets / clutch bags etc?

(boys you can answer if you know!)
    Again, that'll depend. My 8820, when I get it, won't fit in a pocket. I'll be keeping it in my handbag. A Pearl would.

ReputationRep:
    It'd really depend which one you're getting. I'm going to be getting the 8820 (with WiFi); and my maps will be £5 extra per month if I opt for those (I probably won't).
    The deal you're opting for, with the calls and texts, does that include internet as well? If you get one with WiFi you can connect up in a number of places anyway, but otherwise that's a charge worth considering.

Well, I'm looking at the handy Orange catalogue I have next to me which quotes "If you want to use your Blackberry for calls, emails and browsing, get Talk with Blackberry (plus your talk plan)." Not sure what the bit in brackets means but I presume that means I get internet?

I'm looking at the Bold, which I think has WiFi. So is connecting up on WiFi free (unless the place hosting it charges)?

Do you need the internet browsing for Maps?

ReputationRep:
    Again, that'll depend. My 8820, when I get it, won't fit in a pocket. I'll be keeping it in my handbag. A Pearl would.
    Cool, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm looking at the handy Orange catalogue I have next to me which quotes "If you want to use your Blackberry for calls, emails and browsing, get Talk with Blackberry (plus your talk plan)." Not sure what the bit in brackets means but I presume that means I get internet?

I'm looking at the Bold, which I think has WiFi. So is connecting up on WiFi free (unless the place hosting it charges)?

Do you need the internet browsing for Maps?
    Ah yeah, I just looked at that deal online and it says you can get unlimited browsing for £2.50 a month, doesn't it?
    If your Blackberry has WiFi, you can connect anywhere without an extra charge, yes. As far as I know, the maps work on the mobile internet, but I can't find information about maps on the Orange website.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah, I just looked at that deal online and it says you can get unlimited browsing for £2.50 a month, doesn't it?
    If your Blackberry has WiFi, you can connect anywhere without an extra charge, yes. As far as I know, the maps work on the mobile internet, but I can't find information about maps on the Orange website.
    I just had a chat with an Orange sales advisor - the maps are basically free. They'd come out of my data allowance which is unlimited up to 250mb...the maps are about 1gb. So as long as I'm not over my data allowance, they're free.

ReputationRep:
    I just had a chat with an Orange sales advisor - the maps are basically free. They'd come out of my data allowance which is unlimited up to 250mb...the maps are about 1gb. So as long as I'm not over my data allowance, they're free.
    Aw, that's good then

ReputationRep:
    Aw, that's good then
    What made you choose the Curve 8320 as opposed to any of the others?

ReputationRep:
    What made you choose the Curve 8320 as opposed to any of the others?
    It's the 8820 I'm getting. It's a full smartphone with Office and WiFi, amongst the other traditional Blackberry specs, and I'm able to get it for £28 a month with unlimited texts, unlimited internet, and 120 minutes, on BT's Small Business plan. It's just an amazing deal for me, because I need a phone with a lot of business functionality.

ReputationRep:
    Unless your using it for emails and professional use, most the features within are pretty useless to you.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any view on the Blackberry Bold 9000 vs Blackberry Curve 8310?

ReputationRep:
    Erm yes - I have a BlackBerry Curve 8310 on O2 and I absolutely love it. It looks amazing and is really useful. I don't know anything about the BlackBerry Bold 9000, though.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.