Insurance Cancellation

Watch
ElliotChau
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So my Insurance company is cancelling my Insurance on the 18/07 and underneath it says you have to declare all cancellation for future insurers

But if I cancel before then, will I have to declare it??

The reason is that I missed an appointment with the black box man and they added another appointment and I did not manage to message them back

Thank you
Bexjw
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You’ll have to check the terms and conditions of your policy.

It’ll probably be different for yours as they’re cancelling it due to missed appointments. Is it being terminated early? If so, I imagine they’ll not allow you to cancel it yourself and that you have to declare it as you’ve had the policy revoked.

Basically, they’re strict when you have a black box and that’s the reason it’s cheaper. Now they’re terminating the policy, you’ll have to declare it to future insurers and I imagine your premium will increase now too. I highly doubt you’ll be able to cancel it before they cancel you, sort of thing. Unfortunately, these things have consequences.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bexjw)
You’ll have to check the terms and conditions of your policy.

It’ll probably be different for yours as they’re cancelling it due to missed appointments. Is it being terminated early? If so, I imagine they’ll not allow you to cancel it yourself and that you have to declare it as you’ve had the policy revoked.

Basically, they’re strict when you have a black box and that’s the reason it’s cheaper. Now they’re terminating the policy, you’ll have to declare it to future insurers and I imagine your premium will increase now too. I highly doubt you’ll be able to cancel it before they cancel you, sort of thing. Unfortunately, these things have consequences.
Not the case. As much as I don't agree with it, as long as the OP cancels it themselves before the date it was due to be cancelled by the insurer then they do not have to declare anything. Loopholes....
Bexjw
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Not the case. As much as I don't agree with it, as long as the OP cancels it themselves before the date it was due to be cancelled by the insurer then they do not have to declare anything. Loopholes....
I would imagine in cases where you’re having insurance terminated that they would either charge a steep cancellation fee/ have a clause where you couldn’t to prevent people doing it! Insurers are usually proper awkward with things like this! But hey, worth a shot.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ElliotChau)
So my Insurance company is cancelling my Insurance on the 18/07 and underneath it says you have to declare all cancellation for future insurers

But if I cancel before then, will I have to declare it??

The reason is that I missed an appointment with the black box man and they added another appointment and I did not manage to message them back

Thank you
As IWMTom says, if you can cancel it today, then cancel it today. Don't leave it a second longer, otherwise you'll have to declare that you've had a policy cancelled and this will increase your premiums.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bexjw)
I would imagine in cases where you’re having insurance terminated that they would either charge a steep cancellation fee/ have a clause where you couldn’t to prevent people doing it! Insurers are usually proper awkward with things like this! But hey, worth a shot.
Nah, charging arbitrary cancel fees and restricting cancellations is a pretty a hot consumer rights issue, esp when you consider some of the genuinely flimsy crap they cancel people over. (I feel many would argue that having your insurance pulled and a v expensive black mark put on your record for years...for missing an appointment during a pandemic ...is a bit unreasonable).

I suspect if they pushed 'no cancel!' on people they would leave themselves open to a LOT more challenges over their/drivers actions, as it is they can keep it nice and vague.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bexjw)
They have no say in the matter. Any fee is cheaper than paying extra premiums for life due to a cancelled policy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads