Resitting AS History on my own: any advice? Watch

Carl Sagan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I did really badly in History this summer and have decided to resit two modules in January instead of take up another AS. My college no longer runs the syllabus any more so I couln't join a 1st year class and will have to do it on my own. The modules I will be taking will be Edexcel Votes for Women and USA Civil Rights 1945 - 69. Anyone know where I can get past paper questions/markschemes and advice on how to approach my resits? Thanks in advance.
NazB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
GET a teacher...write tons of answers get it marked..otherwise therel be no improvement..
student_s
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Didn't you buy any textbooks before? and check on waterstones and amazon they may have some books for you!
student_s
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=5599441 Although its one year off it may be good? I used one of these for OCR history A2, I think its the only thing that helped me pass. It has sample questions and answers!
Carl Sagan
Rep:
?
(Original post by student_s)
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=5599441 Although its one year off it may be good? I used one of these for OCR history A2, I think its the only thing that helped me pass. It has sample questions and answers!
Argh! They don't have it in stock. But yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing I want. Thanks!
username42053
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Loads of practice papers are the key. Do they not have them available on their website? Edexcel that is.
Carl Sagan
Rep:
?
(Original post by franpgb)
Loads of practice papers are the key. Do they not have them available on their website? Edexcel that is.
They're selling them.
student_s
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol what about this site, I don't know if they have your modules but you could check it out!

http://www.heinemann.co.uk/Series/Se...FRqH1QodfzhYjA
student_s
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it has your units, and I guess you have to either use old practice papers and ask your teachers to mark them, or you could download the markschemes, although your resitting on your own, would the teachers not help you out a little?
JohnKennedy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
joshm, I did that unit. I failed it twice, but this june i did it pretty much on my own and got an A (84/90). My advice is to read around the course: i read parts of "My Mind Set on Freedom: A History of the Civil Rights Movement 1954-1968" by Salmond but i'm sure you can browse a library and find some more interesting books... The most important book you should have is "Heinemann Advanced History: Civil Rights in the USA 1863-1980" I can't stress how good this book is, it's especially tailored for this exam.

I would also suggest doing all the past papers available and getting them marked by you're history teachers. you can find the past papers on the edexcel website.

I also made up my own questions and tried to identify my areas of weakness...

Good luck,

Jack.K
username42053
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What about these? http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/
Carl Sagan
Rep:
?
(Original post by franpgb)
What about these? http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/
Oo, thanks alot!

(Original post by student_s)
I don't think it has your units, and I guess you have to either use old practice papers and ask your teachers to mark them, or you could download the markschemes, although your resitting on your own, would the teachers not help you out a little?
Thanks alot for you your help! I don't know, but I'll ask anyway. Last time I saw her was when I was near History and she said "Wow, you're a long way from the Maths department" in proper sarcastic tone.

(Original post by JohnKennedy)
joshm, I did that unit. I failed it twice, but this june i did it pretty much on my own and got an A (84/90). My advice is to read around the course: i read parts of "My Mind Set on Freedom: A History of the Civil Rights Movement 1954-1968" by Salmond but i'm sure you can browse a library and find some more interesting books... The most important book you should have is "Heinemann Advanced History: Civil Rights in the USA 1863-1980" I can't stress how good this book is, it's especially tailored for this exam.

I would also suggest doing all the past papers available and getting them marked by you're history teachers. you can find the past papers on the edexcel website.

I also made up my own questions and tried to identify my areas of weakness...

Good luck,

Jack.K
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (85)
46.45%
Pro-humanity (98)
53.55%