Not mentioning GCSE results when applying to firms

Watch
lilguy100
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
If i was to include great A-levels (meeting firms requirments) and a high first, could i leave out my GCSEs when applying for TCs and VS' without them finding it odd or mentioning it? would this be a smart move since i did terrible in GCSEs?
physicsamor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you at least get your maths and English at grade C? I'd just put that underneath your A-levels.
lilguy100
Rep:
?
(Original post by physicsamor)
Did you at least get your maths and English at grade C? I'd just put that underneath your A-levels.
Yes, i just feel like if i say i got A*A*A at A-level they would presume my GCSEs are at least somewhat similar in attainment, which isn't the case here. if i mention the Cs then i would feel obligated to mention the mitigating circumstances (so im not as disadvantaged) which id rather not.
physicsamor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lilguy100)
Yes, i just feel like if i say i got A*A*A at A-level they would presume my GCSEs are at least somewhat similar in attainment, which isn't the case here. if i mention the Cs then i would feel obligated to mention the mitigating circumstances (so im not as disadvantaged) which id rather not.
Where exactly are you applying to? Are you not going to university?

You can not include it in your CV but no firm will ask about gcses.

Just bear in mind that on longer application processes they'll have their own form where they may ask you to individually type in each grade you get so you can't avoid in for ever.
lilguy100
Rep:
?
(Original post by physicsamor)
Where exactly are you applying to? Are you not going to university?

You can not include it in your CV but no firm will ask about gcses.

Just bear in mind that on longer application processes they'll have their own form where they may ask you to individually type in each grade you get so you can't avoid in for ever.
Yes ideally a target university for the MC firms. i have mitigating circumstances id just prefer not to mention that since it may raise questions as to whether im suitable to work at the firm
james_law2.0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think this is a bridge you need to cross when you come to it. If they don't ask then no need to mention them; if they do ask then you need to be honest.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes ideally a target university for the MC firms. i have mitigating circumstances id just prefer not to mention that since it may raise questions as to whether im suitable to work at the firm
Just be aware that you may have to declare all your results - it i more and more common to have to show all certificates. I'm not clear whether you've graduated or no.
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
On my cv I just list my gcse as 9 subjects including maths and English a-b (no a* back in my day)
So you can list them like that. Unless they specifically ask for subjects and grades of course.
jacketpotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You will have to disclose your GCSE results I'm afraid.

Most of the large city firms make you fill in an online application form which requires you to enter details of all your GCSEs, all your A-levels and all of your university module results.

I think Slaughter and May lets you apply with just a CV, but most of the other large firms make you fill in their application form and don't accept CVs.

When I started as a trainee at Magic Circle firm several years ago, I had to provide my GCSE certificates (as well as my A-level certificates and degree transcript) as part of the verification process they go through after you accept a job offer. Before you start as a trainee they do that just to check that you didn't lie on your application form. I don't think firms do that sort of verification for Vac Schemes though, just for TCs.

However, don't worry about it. I don't think firms will care about poor GCSE results if you have good A-levels and a good degree result.
Last edited by jacketpotato; 4 weeks ago
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 weeks ago
If i was to include great A-levels (meeting firms requirments) and a high first, could i leave out my GCSEs when applying for TCs and VS' without them finding it odd or mentioning it? would this be a smart move since i did terrible in GCSEs?
You won't be able to - there's a section for them. Applicants who leave that section blank are expected to explain somewhere on the app that they were not offered the chance to sit these (for example because there was no GCSE equivalent in their country's educational system). If you leave it blank and yet make it clear elsewhere (through your permanent address or school name) that you were raised and educated in the UK, you will raise eyebrows.

Good thing is that A-levels and university grades are far more important for law firms. The GCSEs won't hold you back as much as you fear. Keep up the good work at uni

(Original post by jacketpotato)
I don't think firms do that sort of verification for Vac Schemes though, just for TCs.
Some firms do - you're expected to scan and send copies of the certificate beforehand or bring them in with you on the first day of your VS.
lilguy100
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
You won't be able to - there's a section for them. Applicants who leave that section blank are expected to explain somewhere on the app that they were not offered the chance to sit these (for example because there was no GCSE equivalent in their country's educational system). If you leave it blank and yet make it clear elsewhere (through your permanent address or school name) that you were raised and educated in the UK, you will raise eyebrows.

Good thing is that A-levels and university grades are far more important for law firms. The GCSEs won't hold you back as much as you fear. Keep up the good work at uni

Some firms do - you're expected to scan and send copies of the certificate beforehand or bring them in with you on the first day of your VS.
(Original post by jacketpotato)
You will have to disclose your GCSE results I'm afraid.

Most of the large city firms make you fill in an online application form which requires you to enter details of all your GCSEs, all your A-levels and all of your university module results.

I think Slaughter and May lets you apply with just a CV, but most of the other large firms make you fill in their application form and don't accept CVs.

When I started as a trainee at Magic Circle firm several years ago, I had to provide my GCSE certificates (as well as my A-level certificates and degree transcript) as part of the verification process they go through after you accept a job offer. Before you start as a trainee they do that just to check that you didn't lie on your application form. I don't think firms do that sort of verification for Vac Schemes though, just for TCs.

However, don't worry about it. I don't think firms will care about poor GCSE results if you have good A-levels and a good degree result.
Thank you both, this was reassuring
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.73%
Better than expected (146)
20.05%
Worse than expected (402)
55.22%

Watched Threads