Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city_chic)
    That's fair enough, but there's no guarrantee she'd get in if she re-applied there.
    Entry details
    Typical offer for:
    A Levels AAB - BBC

She shouldn't do with her results in sig

ReputationRep:
    Perfect course! Absolutley! Having a prestigious uni underneath you will only do so much at an interview. If you havent got the experience or knowledge to back it up, they not going to touch you! People think going somewhere prestigious will get them the world. But it wont. YOU need to have the drive, the knowledge, the ability etc to get somewhere in life.

Both! If I don't like the course, but like the uni, I wouldn't apply. Even if I loved the uni, but hated the course, I still won't apply. Bascially, I would only apply in a uni where I liked the atmosphere, but also the course contents. I don't think I could ever decide between "Perfect Course" v "Perfect Uni".

ReputationRep:
    Both if possible, otherwise perfect university. You can find enough decent options in a decent course at your perfect university, otherwise it wouldn't be perfect :yep:
    Prestige always matters, even though it isn't the main thing, and when deciding between either or, I would say for me, prestige wins over.

ReputationRep:
    Course hands down

ReputationRep:
    Perfect course, for all the reasons others have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    By the way prestige doesn't really matter if you are studying something like languages.
    Well, yeah, it does. Just because linguists won't be going into everyone's beloved INVESTMENT BANKING!!1!ONE! it doesn't mean we can get a degree from TVU and expect to walk into a job. It's as important to go somewhere amazing for languages as it is for any other degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Entry details
    Typical offer for:
    A Levels AAB - BBC

The first year I applied to unis, I was rejected from a BBB course even though I was predicted AAAA!! Still don't know why.... they didn't interview me so it can't be because they, like, thought I was ugly....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkcr20)
    The first year I applied to unis, I was rejected from a BBB course even though I was predicted AAAA!! Still don't know why.... they didn't interview me so it can't be because they, like, thought I was ugly....
    But you aren't ugly! :hmmm:
    Its whats inside that counts :yep:

And yeah, random rejections are annoying. Was it for French or a combined course? Because if it was combined then they could have thought you weren't as interested in the other subject?

ReputationRep:
    Perfect course. There's no use in being bored/unfulfilled for the next 3/4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Sherminator)
    But you aren't ugly! :hmmm:
    Its whats inside that counts :yep:

And yeah, random rejections are annoying. Was it for French or a combined course? Because if it was combined then they could have thought you weren't as interested in the other subject?
    I wasn't applying for French that time [I've applied through UCAS in 2 different years], it was for American Studies. I got into Nottingham, Birmingham, Sussex, Leicester, UEA but not Manchester!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    As far as I'm concerned, living somewhere you don't like studying what you want to study is infinitely better than living somewhere you like studying something you don't. It's silly to pretend otherwise. On the other hand, doing a degree in two Romance languages more than equips you to self-teach a third...

By the way, there's something wrong with your "e" key.

ReputationRep:
    course, most unis will be similar and uni life is what you make it

ReputationRep:
    Perfect uni, nothing is worse than being in a university where you won't have any fun, become depressed and then drop out of your perfect course due to that depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fillette)
    :ditto: also I'm jealous, I only got a B in Colouring :getmecoat:
    :eek: only a B in colouring!!!! :hugs: don't worry, i could teach you. you know what, in fact i like you, i shall definitely teach you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maghreblover)
    :eek: only a B in colouring!!!! :hugs: don't worry, i could teach you. you know what, in fact i like you, i shall definitely teach you!

oh thanks :love: and nice set of grades btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachmelba)
    What makes you think you want to study Spanish if you haven't done so before?
    It's so much more useful than Italian, I would have a more interesting Year Abroad and I have more interest in Spansih culture. The Italian course at UCL is 80% about things like art and literature, whereas I would prefer the history and politics side. I can just about find enough courses in Italian that I find interesting, but if they changed any of them, I'd be a bit stuffed.

(Original post by city_chic)
    I don't think UCL does ab initio Spanish does it? Otherwise you could ask them to switch from Italian to Spanish.
    Sadly it doesn't. That was my original idea, but they only do post A level.

(Original post by lilangel890)
    Entry details
    Typical offer for:
    A Levels AAB - BBC
    I wish Bristol were that predictable. I was predicted good enough grades for Bristol last year, and they didn't want me.

(Original post by generalebriety)
    As far as I'm concerned, living somewhere you don't like studying what you want to study is infinitely better than living somewhere you like studying something you don't. It's silly to pretend otherwise. On the other hand, doing a degree in two Romance languages more than equips you to self-teach a third...

By the way, there's something wrong with your "e" key.
    It's not that I would be miserable studying Italian, it's just that Spanish grabs me that little bit more. I could be happy enough studying Italian, but Spanish is what really gets me interested now. I was thinking about just staying at UCL and teaching myself Spanish in their language centre, but it's very expensive and I wouldn't be anywhere near as good (also, probably couldnt start teaching myself until the 2nd year, or else I'd get confused learning two Romances side by side).

I know about the E key, it's being such a pain.

ReputationRep:
    So long as you still like the course at the perfect uni, then perfect uni by a long way.

You'll regret ending up at the wrong place (as you would ending up in the wrong course, but as I said you might still like the course). You can always take extra classes somewhere in the area you're most interested in, look at it in your spare time, or do a postgrad.

I chose uni over course and am not regretting it one bit. Having said that I still like my current course and wouldn't have chosen it if I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Well I just looked at the uni website and I can do Spanish lessons alongside my degree fairly cheaply. So maybe I will just wait until my second year and start up evening classes at uni, then maybe take an A-level exam when I graduate.

ReputationRep:
    Perfect course. I love my university but I would probably go to Liverpool had my qualifications been sufficient.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.