helen888
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone from Student Finance might be able to help advise me please.

I’m a mature student who has previously completed a degree and masters (neither in healthcare subjects) and have applied and have an interview for a Therapeutic Radiography BSc (full-time) beginning in September 2020 at Sheffield Hallam. I applied thinking that I’d be able to access the new government bursary through the Learning Support Fund and was planning to self-fund the rest of the course and the travel to Uni and placements etc. myself as I assumed that I wouldn’t be eligible for any support from Student Finance due to my previous study - and particularly the fact that I’ve done a masters, due to this being a higher qualification rather than an equivalent one (due to family commitments I’m unable to move to the few areas offering the Postgraduate pre-registration version of the course).

However, in order to receive the bursary, the learning support fund website states that you have to be eligible for student finance. I’ve contacted them to explain my situation and am awaiting a response, however I’ve since done some research about exception courses and found the below written by a Student Finance rep on here:

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

So now I’m wondering if I might be eligible for Student Finance after all, but am not sure because of me having a masters - please can you help clarify?

Best Wishes,

Helen888
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by helen888)
Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone from Student Finance might be able to help advise me please.

I’m a mature student who has previously completed a degree and masters (neither in healthcare subjects) and have applied and have an interview for a Therapeutic Radiography BSc (full-time) beginning in September 2020 at Sheffield Hallam. I applied thinking that I’d be able to access the new government bursary through the Learning Support Fund and was planning to self-fund the rest of the course and the travel to Uni and placements etc. myself as I assumed that I wouldn’t be eligible for any support from Student Finance due to my previous study - and particularly the fact that I’ve done a masters, due to this being a higher qualification rather than an equivalent one (due to family commitments I’m unable to move to the few areas offering the Postgraduate pre-registration version of the course).

However, in order to receive the bursary, the learning support fund website states that you have to be eligible for student finance. I’ve contacted them to explain my situation and am awaiting a response, however I’ve since done some research about exception courses and found the below written by a Student Finance rep on here:

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

So now I’m wondering if I might be eligible for Student Finance after all, but am not sure because of me having a masters - please can you help clarify?

Best Wishes,

Helen888
Hi,
Therapeutic Radiography is not a valid course on the database at Sheffield Hallam - only Diagnostic Radiography is on the database. If Therapeutic Radiography should be on the database then you will need to ask the university to add this before we can confirm if you are eligible.
Thanks, Isaac
helen888
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi,
Therapeutic Radiography is not a valid course on the database at Sheffield Hallam - only Diagnostic Radiography is on the database. If Therapeutic Radiography should be on the database then you will need to ask the university to add this before we can confirm if you are eligible.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for getting back.

The course is called 'Radiotherapy and Oncology' but qualifies you to be a Therapeutic Radiographer.

Thanks,

Charlotte.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for getting back.

The course is called 'Radiotherapy and Oncology' but qualifies you to be a Therapeutic Radiographer.

Thanks,

Charlotte.
I have reviewed the database and it is an exceptions course. I advise you to apply as soon as possible to you can be assessed. You should apply for funding before being accepted onto the course.
Thanks, Isaac
helen888
Rep:
?
I have reviewed the database and it is an exceptions course. I advise you to apply as soon as possible to you can be assessed. You should apply for funding before being accepted onto the course.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

That’s great, thank you.

And yes I actually already applied the other day as was worried about running out of time.

Thanks for your help
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Isaac,

That’s great, thank you.

And yes I actually already applied the other day as was worried about running out of time.

Thanks for your help
You're welcome
helen888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
You're welcome
Hi Isaac,

Just wondering if you might be able to help again please as am really worried about an email I've had from Student Finance. Essentially I'd applied for Student Finance before I posted on here (and so before I ever had my interview for the course), I subsequently had the interview for the course and was given an offer, but have now received an email from student finance saying that my application's been cancelled? I've no idea why this has happened/what the reason for this is? I've contacted the Uni as it says in the email 'As it looks like you won't be going to university or college this year, we've cancelled your student finance application. If this isn't correct you need to get your university or college to contact us', but am now wondering if this means that I'll have to reapply and wait a further 6 weeks + to have my application assessed, so may not receive finance in time for the course starting?

Best Wishes,

Charlotte.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi Isaac,

Just wondering if you might be able to help again please as am really worried about an email I've had from Student Finance. Essentially I'd applied for Student Finance before I posted on here (and so before I ever had my interview for the course), I subsequently had the interview for the course and was given an offer, but have now received an email from student finance saying that my application's been cancelled? I've no idea why this has happened/what the reason for this is? I've contacted the Uni as it says in the email 'As it looks like you won't be going to university or college this year, we've cancelled your student finance application. If this isn't correct you need to get your university or college to contact us', but am now wondering if this means that I'll have to reapply and wait a further 6 weeks + to have my application assessed, so may not receive finance in time for the course starting?

Best Wishes,

Charlotte.
Hi Charlotte, it sounds like university said your not attending which means you may have applied for the 2019/20 academic year instead of the 20/21 academic year. If you message us on Twitter/Facebook with your name and CRN then we can review your account or alternatively give us a call on 0300 100 0607.

If you have applied for the wrong year then you will need to re apply.
Thanks, Isaac
helen888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi Charlotte, it sounds like university said your not attending which means you may have applied for the 2019/20 academic year instead of the 20/21 academic year. If you message us on Twitter/Facebook with your name and CRN then we can review your account or alternatively give us a call on 0300 100 0607.

If you have applied for the wrong year then you will need to re apply.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for getting back, however I definitely applied for the 20/21 year. I’ve contacted the Uni and will also call yourselves.

Best Wishes,

Charlotte.
helen888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
2020 / 2021 Full time RADIOTHERAPY AND ONCOLOGY FT

STATUS APPLICATION CANCELLED
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
2020 / 2021 Full time RADIOTHERAPY AND ONCOLOGY FT

STATUS APPLICATION CANCELLED
It might be due to applying on the wrong application. As I can only provide general information here so I can't give accurate advice on this specific situation so I strongly advise you to contact us.

If you message on Facebook/Twitter then you should have a response within 30 minutes as we are up to date on all incoming messages at the moment. Alternatively you can call 0300 100 0607.
Thanks, Isaac
helen888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
It might be due to applying on the wrong application. As I can only provide general information here so I can't give accurate advice on this specific situation so I strongly advise you to contact us.

If you message on Facebook/Twitter then you should have a response within 30 minutes as we are up to date on all incoming messages at the moment. Alternatively you can call 0300 100 0607.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for getting back.

I called Student Finance and got through quickly, they said they really weren't sure why it had done that but the application status later mysteriously changed from 'cancelled' to 'incomplete' and when I've re-entered my bank details (had entered them on the original application) it's now let me submit, so fingers crossed it works this time.

Thanks for your help.

Best Wishes,

Charlotte.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for getting back.

I called Student Finance and got through quickly, they said they really weren't sure why it had done that but the application status later mysteriously changed from 'cancelled' to 'incomplete' and when I've re-entered my bank details (had entered them on the original application) it's now let me submit, so fingers crossed it works this time.

Thanks for your help.

Best Wishes,

Charlotte.
Good morning Charlotte, glad to hear that you got this resolved
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (144)
37.21%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.27%
Look for a job (13)
3.36%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.39%
Take a year out (67)
17.31%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.46%

Watched Threads