Har6547
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,

I'm considering possibly doing A-level geography (edexcel). I was wondering:

1) Is it interesting
2) How difficult is it (I understand this is subjective - but compared to general studies and further maths for example)

Thanks
pepino4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Har6547)
Hi,

I'm considering possibly doing A-level geography (edexcel). I was wondering:

1) Is it interesting
2) How difficult is it (I understand this is subjective - but compared to general studies and further maths for example)

Thanks
Hi, I studied A level geography and would have done my A level exam this year.

1) Personally, I found geography a lot more interesting than I thought I would have done. The course is split into physical geography and human geography, so most people found they prefer one to the other as they went through the topics. There's a reason why geography is a facilitating subject because it links together many different subjects (e.g. succession along coasts linked to part of my biology A-level, economic problems linked to topics covered in A-level economics/politics).

2) I didn't find geography too difficult. There is a lot of content, however, since some topics link to others, I found that you were just revising the same kind of information again (saving revision time!) For me, the coursework was trickier but that it more a matter of preference.

My advise for A-level geography is to ensure you make notes as you go along rather than leaving it to the end of the year, as well as doing some extra reading (e.g. news articles).
Hope this helps in your decision.
Har6547
Rep:
?
(Original post by pepino4)
Hi, I studied A level geography and would have done my A level exam this year.

1) Personally, I found geography a lot more interesting than I thought I would have done. The course is split into physical geography and human geography, so most people found they prefer one to the other as they went through the topics. There's a reason why geography is a facilitating subject because it links together many different subjects (e.g. succession along coasts linked to part of my biology A-level, economic problems linked to topics covered in A-level economics/politics).

2) I didn't find geography too difficult. There is a lot of content, however, since some topics link to others, I found that you were just revising the same kind of information again (saving revision time!) For me, the coursework was trickier but that it more a matter of preference.

My advise for A-level geography is to ensure you make notes as you go along rather than leaving it to the end of the year, as well as doing some extra reading (e.g. news articles).
Hope this helps in your decision.
Thanks so much I'm currently tied between geography and business. Any advice?
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I am in year 12 doing OCR.

I find it very interesting and is a break from other subjects (I do Maths, Further Maths and Physics), I sometimes find the physical stuff a bit dull but that's a personal opinion. And I love the human stuff especially as a lot of the case studies are too do with the area in and around where I live.

How hard is it....well....at the start it was my weakest subjects (I was getting Ds and Us) and I was doing well in all my other subjects. The actual content is pretty easy to learn - very similar to GCSE you just learn each case study in more detail, what is different is the exam technique. You have much longer answers (I know OCR go from 4 mark questions up to 33 mark questions, and I think the other exam boards are similar) but once you have nailed exam technique it is quite an easy subject.

The coursework is worth 20% of your alevel so if you find something you are interested about then it is a good way to get high marks and reduce the pressure on your final exams
Har6547
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becca216)
I am in year 12 doing OCR.

I find it very interesting and is a break from other subjects (I do Maths, Further Maths and Physics), I sometimes find the physical stuff a bit dull but that's a personal opinion. And I love the human stuff especially as a lot of the case studies are too do with the area in and around where I live.

How hard is it....well....at the start it was my weakest subjects (I was getting Ds and Us) and I was doing well in all my other subjects. The actual content is pretty easy to learn - very similar to GCSE you just learn each case study in more detail, what is different is the exam technique. You have much longer answers (I know OCR go from 4 mark questions up to 33 mark questions, and I think the other exam boards are similar) but once you have nailed exam technique it is quite an easy subject.

The coursework is worth 20% of your alevel so if you find something you are interested about then it is a good way to get high marks and reduce the pressure on your final exams
Thanks so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads